Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies: ‘I have to earn factory chance’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies: ‘I have to earn factory chance’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies: ‘I have to earn factory chance’

Ben Spies reckons he’s still got to show Yamaha he’s worthy of a seat alongside Valentino Rossi or Jorge Lorenzo in 2011. The Texan has a two-year deal with Yamaha and has been heavily linked with a move to partner Rossi if Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo is tempted by overtures from Ducati and Honda. Reigning World Superbike champion Spies currently rides for the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (28 May 2010 15:29)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

Spot on

It seems that some think Spies is a shoe in for the factory Yamaha seat if Val or Jorge leaves. I'm glad Spies is not under that allusion and that he has to earn that ride. He maybe in the driver's seat because he is already a Yamaha contracted rider but he's not going to get that ride falling on his ass and not finishing races in good point scoring positions. He's still clearly the fastest of all the rookies but he has to finish - point blank. It doesn't matter how fast you are if you're not bagging points.

Reply to this Topic
1motion

Jul 07

1motion says:

bring back toseland... are you kidding me HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reply to this Topic
TheBrush

May 10

TheBrush says:

I wish

I don't care what happens. to me everyone good enough to ride in MGP or WSBK is a winner

Reply to this Topic
phornsey

Nov 09

phornsey says:

is spies the fastest rookie or simply has the best rookie bike by miles !!!

personally would love to see simoncelli on a yamaha think he would go well

Reply to this Topic
Ivebeenthehero

Jun 09

Spies struggles raise a big question

We know how good Spes is amongst WSB riders, standout brilliant, and he is finding the going tough in MotoGP, in what now looks increasingly like being a learning year. So I can't see the MotoGP teams scouring the WSB paddock for future riders. But Moto2 where a MotoGP exile is shining looks an even worse option to me, 120BHP is nothing compared to a MotoGP bike. 

Saying that I think Jonny Rea is showing the skills to step up to MotoGP and I have long been tipping him for MotoGP with HRC in 2011.

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

If I were Rea

I wouldnt touch Moto Gp with a bardge pole ! Too many politics Too much favor towards the Spanish n Italians and bikes that are crap to ride the "real " way eg too much focus on set up and the aid of electronics .

Reply to this Topic
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

I suspect he may get another year in Tech3...but with a more factory spec bike, the bike he had in valencia was as good as Fiat spec...mabe better.

Rea.....He makes way to many mistakes even for WSB standards and there they have the luxury of a second race. He would drop too many points in the GP padock. He should stay and try for the title. He's conracted with TenKate next year anyway.

Reply to this Topic
chris313nt

May 08

chris313nt says:

Spies

He's a fantastic Superbike rider, but I questioned his commitment after he pulled out 2 races ago! Colin & JT tried to ride around their probs with the bike & tyres at Tech3, with Colin being more successful at that than JT due to his extra experience in motogp. JT was far more successful in his first year of motogp than Spies has been & it just proves to me that JT is a far better rider than he was given credit for last season...look at all the other new motgp riders, none of them are better than what JT was doing last year & look at what he's achieving this year in WSB. I for one am glad he's regained his confidence, just like Baylis did when he went back to WSB after a bad time in motogp...btw, I wonder how many riders would've got the sack for giving up on a race by pulling in the garage like Spies did? I thought he was better than that & had high hopes for him in motogp, but I hope I'm wrong & he can recover his season & prove that WSB riders can be successful along with Nicky Hayden.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Rookie Rule

The problem all British riders face is the total lack of any British backed teams in the paddock. A British rider is always gonna play second fiddle to the sponsor pleasing first rider. Any WSBK rider would have to join a spanish,italian or( this year ) austrian backed satelite team first and is immediatly under pressure to perform. Personally I thought JT did the best he could with the machinery he had available and with a different passport he would still be out there.    Stewamy. At the start of the season Edwards said his bike was the closest to the factory bike he'd ever had. So you can bet Spies is on the same or better already!

Reply to this Topic
huntersthompso

Feb 10

spies

there was so much hype around him comming to moto gp and many people in the know said,,,well lets just wait and see, as i did. he is obviously a very good rider, best finished out on the rokkies this year so far, but its a big step up to moto gp, he has said that him self, so this was always going to be a learning year, the interesting year will be next year, when hopefully he has learned what its like to ride a moto gp bike and learned the tracks, i dont know where this stuff about ridding with rossi is comming from it may be genuine, but hell it would surprise me, the tec 3 bike is a very good bike, and edwards rode it to some good finishes last year in my eyes ben has got a hell of a lot of learning to do, and then he has got to get a lot faster before he would get a chance on a factory bike, looking at how edwards did last year if spies is good enough there is not reason a tec 3 bike could not make it to the top 3,,, he is a long way off that yet and i see no gain for yamaha giving him a factory bike? (i also find it a little big headed? or is that just me, never trust the press any way)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle