Skip to content

Discuss This Ben Spies: ‘I have to earn factory chance’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ben Spies: ‘I have to earn factory chance’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ben Spies: ‘I have to earn factory chance’

Ben Spies reckons he’s still got to show Yamaha he’s worthy of a seat alongside Valentino Rossi or Jorge Lorenzo in 2011. The Texan has a two-year deal with Yamaha and has been heavily linked with a move to partner Rossi if Spaniard Jorge Lorenzo is tempted by overtures from Ducati and Honda. Reigning World Superbike champion Spies currently rides for the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 May 2010 15:29)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
huntersthompso

Feb 10

also

rookie rule comment:, one of the main reasons we dont see any moto gp riders from the uk, is down to the laws in the uk,under 16 year olds not allowed to have full race licence so can not get the practice in,, unlike spain italy which actively promotes young riders under 16 (and hence produced lots of gp talent), this is why so many people brits go into bsb and wsb, i think very little of it is to do with the British team bit, why would tec 3 a French team have two American riders if what you say is true?

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

Killarat/chris313nt/SPIES

Firstly killarat,your talking total bollocks,chris313nt five JT's in your posting are you a little bias? Now to the topic of Spies ,without doubt a superb rider, but whatever in the press is accurate we don't know but even as a fan of his I have to agree a factory ride needs to be earned, and as yet in Spies own words, He has yet to prove he is worthy of that,I am myself disappointed by his results to date and surprised at them ,although Its to early to say either way, but i still think there is more to come from him and if not then hey ho he has to face the same prospects as anyone else ,but he knows the score I dont think you will hear him blowing his own trumpet or making excuses he will try hard and win or lose be honest,i hope he makes it, and think we will see a lot more of him yet but if he fails i will be as critical fan or not,killarat ,chris313nt and others try it some time, we cant see life with blinkers on its winner takes all in the main

Reply to this Topic
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

CH987

It may have been the closest he thinks he's had out of 08/09/10 compared to following a fiat bike around the track (in practice and Q), but the gulf to the tech3 bikes is still huge. Granted the factory and customer spec bikes by means of the new rules have the same engines (at the opening round), but the electronics spec will vary greatly.

Colin finished on the podium the last 2 times at Le Mans but this year something was off by his standards.

As is said, Spies ran well at Valencia because A) he new the circuit and B) he was on the official yamaha test team bike which at the time was probably equal to what fiat had and may even have had a few upgrades over them. In that race he was only limited by his inexperience.

He may get better access to factory upgrades if he stays on at T3 for a second season.

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Better Bike?

Saying who has the better bike is guess work, we dont know who has the best bike , at certain tracks at certain times certain differences can suit certain riders .Maybe less power or higher revs can be an advantage in certain corners . How much of a difference do the team make to the rider? . If we gave Lorenzo Bens bike could he and his team put it on the top step? . There may well be people in the know on this forum but if youre not dont go round saying whose bike is the better as you simply do not know .

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Quite right Richard & CH987

Look at Kallio last year when he stepped up to the factory Ducati. Not quoting verbatim but his words were to the effect the the mere fact the bike was red and factory almost made it seem better than his satellite machine. The difference in his opinion was negligible.

I should well imagine it is the same at Tech 3. There is no performance gulf. The old racing maxim of 80% rider 20% machine still holds basically true. This is why we have just 4 Aliens. 

Dovi and Hayden have had solid starts to the season but they haven't threatened have they? I have no doubt Ben will pick his game up and stand on the bottom step of the podium a few times. The CE11, well he's doing his usual and scratching his head looking for a setting that works on the machine he's been riding forever.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Anonymous

Anonymous  says:

A few points to make

@chris313nt

"JT was far more successful in his first year of motogp than Spies has been & it just proves to me that JT is a far better rider than he was given credit for last season"

Well let me point something out to you - In 2 full years JT never finished 5th nor did he finish less than 4 seconds from the winner. Something Spies did at the first race at Qatar. 3 races aren't a measure of a rider or how successful his will or will not be. In Rossi first 3 races he crashed out of the first 2 and placed 11th in the 3rd. 

JT was a far better rider than given credit for last season? What credit does he deserve? Best satellite team, best satellite bike, with a full year to learn all the tracks and what did he do? Did he have any podiums? Did he have any top 5 finishes? Did he finish the season in the top 10? Did he improve the amount of points from the previous year? Did he improve his final standing position from the previous year? The answer is no to all. So what did he do to be given credit for? The only full time riders he beat in the championship were Kallio and Canepa - 2 rookies in the worst team on the worst bikes.

@CH987

"The problem all British riders face is the total lack of any British backed teams in the paddock. A British rider is always gonna play second fiddle to the sponsor pleasing first rider."

I'm going to call bullshit on that. That's a totally lame excuse. This is racing. Sponsors count for the team yes but nothing tops speed, performance, and talent. If a Brit rider impresses in the lower ranks than he will get a shot at MotoGP. If he gets to MotoGP and shows the speed to be a champion or run at the front the he will be given an opportunity. The only Brits I can think of right now that deserve a ride in MotoGP the last 10 years were Hodgson and JT and they both made it. But they both also got their asses handed to them by their teammates who put the same bikes on the podium.

MotoGP is a Euro-centric sport and there isn't a huge American or Aussie contingent running the sport but both have produced champions. There wasn't exactly a red carpet being rolled out for Spies when he wanted to go to GPs for the  2009 season even after having 3 good wildcard rides. He earned his GP ride by blowing everyone away in WSBK with 14 wins and 11 poles. And now if he wants to stay in GPs he will have to produce and show talent. It has nothing to do with sponsors or who runs teams. It' about speed.

Reply to this Topic
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

Well ducati are not japanese and I suspect will do things differently. No way would they give the same updates at the same time to factory and satelite bikes. JT and CE had to wait 3 rounds in 08 for the updated engine that the fiat team got. Same for electronics and anti-wheelie updates last season. There is always a difference its business.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

No but at the start of the year

There was fack all difference. The CE11's take on things. I haven't read about Yamaha throwing a whole bunch of parts at the Fiat boys. They seems to be getting on just fine as it is, so perhaps things haven't changed much since. Remember Ben was running times comparable to the factory boys in the later stages of the race at Qatar and was only 3.9 sec behind at the end, he's not going to be able to do that on inferior kit.

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

Why continue to compare?

I'm amazed that some posters continue to bring up James Toseland in comparason to Ben Spies. Look at their records over their careers and it's pretty obvious who has the better results (especially WSBK win percentages).

I am a fan of James but he really hasn't even proven to be the best of the current Brit WSBK riders this year. I personally think Cal Crutchlow and Leon Haslem are probably going to finish higher in the championship.

Isn't it time to drop these meaningless comparasons and move on?

PS: for those posters that continue to think that Spies was on the best bike last year, you will probably be suprised to know that most all the racers, including Crutchlow, don't feel that way...  http://www.onthethrottle.com/content/view/695/1/  

Reply to this Topic
stevyamy

Jul 08

stevyamy says:

Yeah I get it that they are similar at the start of the season.

The point I was making was about last year and at Valencia, and In no way am I trying to take anything away from spies performance.

By sepang the T3 bike's performace had tailed off significantly, and Ben got Mr Furasawa to rock up with the factory test team for him to wildcard at valencia. It goes without saying that was way better machinery than Herve's boys had.

JT revealed in a column he wrote for a monthly mag that yamaha couldn't afford to run 4 '09 engines last year so T3 had to make do with the old.

When they get there again this year lets just see what happens.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices