Skip to content

Discuss This Readers warn of Nigerian bike buying scam General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Readers warn of Nigerian bike buying scam

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Guy Procter  says:

Readers warn of Nigerian bike buying scam

Kawasaki W650 owners Fiona and Andy Menzies are warning private bike sellers to be vigilant after narrowly escaping being swindled out of £4500. The Kinross couple had advertised their W650 online for £950 when they were contacted by a prospective buyer with an apparently German address (olicthomas@yahoo.de). He promised to send a cheque with a view to picking up the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (28 May 2010 16:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

let me get this right

they say they want to buy your bike , the nigerians...

they send you a cheque , it clears at the bank (they surely are to blame saying its cleared), you draw out the money, then you send the bike....

so you don`t lose out, its the bank ? 

all well and good then HAHAHA:lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

I have had the odd scam email for years from Nigeria or whearabouts. They all follow the same tale about someone being killed in an air crash and 'me' is the beneficiary of X million USD. They never give up. Incidentally, Thamsmead in London is referred to as 'Little Lagos' by the authorities as so much fraud originates there, so many of the scamsters may not nescesarily be in Nigeria itself. Be wary, if an offer on a bike looks too good it probably is!

Reply to this Topic
Fat_Tony

Sep 08

Fat_Tony says:

Well duh - clearly a scam as soon as they mention sending cheques for amounts MORE than the value

The public should know more about this type of thing

If you fancy a laugh - read some of this - http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm - this guy is an absolute star

Reply to this Topic
trophy2

Jan 09

trophy2 says:

Scams

I had him too.  Sent a cheque for more tha the bike cost by courier, then asked for me to send the change to him by Western Union.  Never even looked at the bike.   Police could have caught him by getting him when he tries to pick up the money but said there is too much of this and not interested.  Banks security appear to wash their hands of it too.

How many nigerians have you seen riding bikes????

Eastern Europeans try it too....

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Scams

originating from Nigeria? Well I never!

9 out of 10 scams seem to be linked to Nigeria, not sure why though.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices