You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > vtr 1000 front brake problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jdw1964

Feb 09

jdw1964 says:

vtr 1000 front brake problem

I can't seem to get the pin out that holds the pads in on the front brakes of a 2002 honda vtr 1000.Is there a special tool or can you use a normal screw driver? .It doesn,t seem to want to budge with the latter even after spraying it with some WD40.:unsure:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 June 2010 13:47)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Knightmoves

Mar 09

Knightmoves says:

try

a gentle tap ( and only gently )with an impact driver ( best done off the bike , on something solid , with rag underneath ) plusgas is better then WD40 , as WD is more of a lubricant .

when you do eventually get too remove the pin , coppergrease the thread ( and pin  ) it'll make it easier next time

judith x

Reply to this Topic
jdw1964

Feb 09

jdw1964 says:

vtr brake prob

thanks will give it a go when have borrowed an impact driver . I find it incredible that most of the other fittings are held on with allen key bolts and they put the most likely one to seize up on as as flat head screw fitting.I think they do it just to wind us up :mad:

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pin

My gsx1400 has allen head screw out pins.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
jdw1964

Feb 09

jdw1964 says:

brake prob

i am totally confused now ooh try an impact driver or buy a gsx1400 :doubt:

Reply to this Topic
H2pots

Jan 09

H2pots says:

front brake

what you're trying to get out is the grub screw behind the pin and not the pin, once you have removed the grub screw (flat head screw driver / impact driver) you will need a allen key to uscrew the pad pin.

the grub screw is only short with a fine thread. be careful with impact driver, may be better to try tapping screw driver  to try to undo the grub screw.

the main problem is that the grub screw tightens onto the top of the pad pin ( as a safety measure) and can be quite tight but usually small tap should release. re-assemble with some copper grease on the grub screw thread and it should be easier next time

Reply to this Topic
jdw1964

Feb 09

jdw1964 says:

vtr brake prob

thanks for that have managed to sort it now and have done exactly what you have said

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices