Skip to content

Discuss This Moto3 to replace 125 GP class MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Moto3 to replace 125 GP class

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Moto3 to replace 125 GP class

The technical revolution in MotoGP will be completed in 2012 when the current 125cc two-strokes are banished in favour of a 250cc four-stroke single-cylinder world championship called Moto3, MCN can reveal. Discussions have been taking place for several weeks now on plans for the new class, which would end the two-stroke Grand Prix racing era for the first time since the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 June 2010 13:59)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

Gazoo

Your Spot on. The strokers are great and I for one mourn the passing of the 250 class at GP and National level. There are not many fans (who keep the whole Motorcycle Racing thing going) that prefer the new 4 strokes. Who makes these decisions?

I for one would bring back the 500cc class. Great. 

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Sadly,the manufacturers have given up doing development work on 2 strokes so the end has been in sight for some time. At least when they they move over to to 250cc 4 strokes the bikes will be of a decent size for riders like Bradley Smith who is getting taller but I think he may well be stuck in this class for another year.

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Logical progression

Yes the sound of a swarm of angry little buzzy bees barreling into turn one will be missed. But the writing has been on the wall with this one ever since the announcement of Moto2. Very difficult to see any cost containment benefits with fragile complex MotoX based engines seeing peak rpm more often. I would love to hear Aprilia's take on this development. 

Nostalgia freaks. Of course we all loved the 2 stroke 500's. Try to imagine them in the 21st century brim full of electronics though. Just how exciting would they be then? I'll take MotoGP on this basis for the diversity of tuneful engine notes thanks. Technology doesn't stand still. There is no way a 2010 500 would be what even a Y2K one was.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
robwatkins

Nov 08

robwatkins says:

125/250

in the andalucian pre gp 125 series, they have been running the two fifty four strokes for two seasons now, although they do not sound as good as the strokers (my oppinion) they arnt too bad, with a little more development they will be just as good.

Reply to this Topic
paso456

Jun 10

paso456 says:

125 GPs

How about doing it this way....1 cyl 250's, 2 cyl 500's and 4 cyl 1000's....transfer of technology from each lower class...maybe cuts production costs especially for small manufacturers.....and do away with one company supplying all the engines...big mistake...fans do love to watch cmpetition between riders and companies......just a thought from someone who watched the late 60's and 70's gp's with their diversity in types of machines.....

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

paso

sadly my friend, simple, straight forward, common sense and the blindingly obvious just don't work in the real world!  i don't understand why either!

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

It's about marketability

What do the manufacturers predominately sell? 1000's, 600's and sexy little learner bikes. RS 125 Aprilia's before but once this class is up and running there'll be a plethora of 250 single race reps rorting around the suburbs with spotty little punks on board. Damn that was me once......

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices