Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcyclists are ‘pathetic’ with ‘immature obsession with speed’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcyclists are ‘pathetic’ with ‘immature obsession with speed’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Sharpe  says:

Motorcyclists are ‘pathetic’ with ‘immature obsession with speed’

Daily Mirror columnist Paul Routledge has sparked controversy by calling motorcyclists “pathetic” with an “immature obsession with speed.” Routledge said it is, “time for old bikers to hang up their leathers,” instructing them to “grow up and realise that the roar of a 600cc bike is the whisper of death,” when complaining over the number of bikers who took advantage of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (01 June 2010 16:04)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

Got to agree with him..

We do have obsessions with our bikes, but maybe not speed as such, handling and brakes etc are more my thing, and lets face it I am no longer young, I wear my good bike gear and smart AGV helmet, with a bird who is a slim and attractive brunette on the back with her size 8-10 figure 12 years younger than I am, not drinking and stuffing myself with clotted artery scones or discussing the cheapest beef dinner of one pub relative to the other or moaning about the parking, but riding along the seashore or over the moors in the fresh air and sunshine, with other attractive women always dropping hints that they would like to go out too one day if I wanted, but I point out my long term girlfriend wouldnt be too impressed.  I suppose as well we are always smiling, polite and happy amongst each other, which just doesnt do these days.

Neither me or anyone I know has mowed down a member of the public and i know a lot of bikers over a lot of years, true a couple have died, but neither at high speed, one a female had to avoid a deep puddle on a blind bend and another's bike jumped out of gear at a bad time, both in a way their own faults, but neither maniacs.  I also know more friends who died at the wheel of cars though, they also injured their other occupants, the worst one is a young stunning woman passenger who is in a wheelchair for the rest of her life, still stunning though, model material.

I also know there are a few hundred thousand injuries due to car drivers, thousands of pedestrians mowed down and so on.  I dont see the stats that back up his argument about endangering others, could he provide them compared to cars please?  Or will it be reported accidents relative to deaths?  Most people who fall off a bike, pick it up and no-one knows except those that were there, while a car doesnt pick up the same way and obviously deaths are going to be higher without a body shell around you, but how much of the World do cars kill which arent human?? With pollution, huge car parks etc etc

So really it depends what you view of pathetic is, decent bloke injuring no-one with a cute bird (one in a long list of previous cute women) on the back, or a bloke who sits in a tin box unhappy at all other road users.

Pathetic: arousing pity or sadness, miserably inadequate.   Maybe time for a look in the mirror my friend, rear view mirror if you must.

Reply to this Topic
willx

Jun 06

willx says:

Good coming from a bloke who looks like he plays with butt plugs! Have I seen him on Crime Watch??

Reply to this Topic
ian mcgarry

Jan 04

ian mcgarry says:

the daily mirror right?

Highly amusing you printed this but you said he 'writes' for a certain tabloid ....doesn't this automatically discount any thing that issues forth from his WP ? I mean he gets paid to write S*&! designed to provoke righteous indignation... apparently some people like to buy nasty opinions thinly disguised as news its good business (?!) We should just feel sorry for him.... rediscover our gag reflex, see his world for what it is and go out for ride on our bikes.    

Reply to this Topic
oldnbold

Aug 09

oldnbold says:

This reporter should have done a bit more research before penning his diatribe; at least actually spoken with a few bikers: I mean he doesn't even distinguish between speed per se and acceleration. In my case, it's not the sensation of speed that is especially significant (to which in any case you become more or less habituated, even pushing it some on a naked bike) ; it's much more the sense of personal autonomy: as in being able to accelerate ahead of the traffic and of not (in most cases at least)  having to endure being held up or be kept waiting. But I have to confess that I take especial pleasure approaching traffic lights (when set at red) in filtering through to the front and stopping in front of a hi-performance cage, preferably some massive 4X4 being driven by a twat wearing shades and mightily pissed off and jealous cos you've got the cojones and he hasn't and what's more you know that he knows that you know. Yep, in the end it all comes down to that and this reporter, like the wannabee hero impotently seething behind me, knows it  too, hence the article :-)

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

when all`s said and done

he should be beheaded :lol:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
fred1021

Apr 10

fred1021 says:

total moron

hes is and talks total ass gravy please someone shoot him in the nads with a large  gun

Reply to this Topic
forklift

Apr 08

forklift says:

pathetic...

This individual looks like the type who wears white socks with open sandals, has no dress sense, collects stamps and has little or no sex with his wife/partner. His kids thing he is boring, his wife/partner think he is boring. He probably really envies us all. I bet if Rocket Ron took him for a spin round Donnington he would either cry or be converted.

But he is entitled to an opinion, like all of us.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

The Mirror is just a left wing rag whos's circulation has been in decline for many years now.

Reply to this Topic
hillfish

May 10

hillfish says:

cheap shot..

I think his comments are a pathetic attempt to simply antagonise a group of people to get some publicity and attention for his crap newpaper... he's taken a cheap shot at bikers but only highlighted how ignorant and bigoted he is.. don't waste any time getting bothered by it, it'll only encourage him on to air his dimwit views about some other group of people or thing next week...

Reply to this Topic
horny955

May 07

horny955 says:

Mirror Man

I saw this in that days paper and was angry after reading it. Then when i log on to the homepage of this website see a link to the naked bike test, lead rider with front wheel up in the air and clearly on a public road.

How are we supposed to defend ourselves when your printing or videoing those sort of antics for every 2 bit hack to slag us off.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle