Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Yamaha FZ8 v Monster 796 v Shiver v Street Triple v Z750 First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Yamaha FZ8 v Monster 796 v Shiver v Street Triple v Z750

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Yamaha FZ8 v Monster 796 v Shiver v Street Triple v Z750

The middleweight class has expanded in all senses this year, with the appearance of three new larger-capacity bikes: The Yamaha FZ8, Ducati Monster 796 and the revised Aprilia Shiver 750.  They're all hoping to beat the class-leading Triumph Street Triple and good-value Kawasaki Z750, but are they up to the task? Watch the video to find out.    http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1119137831http://www.brightcove.com/channel.jsp?channel=711881422 // By...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (02 June 2010 10:40)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

Dustbins

Who'd have thought Yamaha and Kawasaki would resolve to using dustbins for exhausts :-O.It's like there opposition designed them :-)

Reply to this Topic
coxyjm

May 10

coxyjm says:

BIAS????

To kiwikeith and ChingoBling

Quite confused by you comments, as my Triumph Sprint ST is nowhere the top of the tree of the top 100 bikes that MCN publised, i am sure that there a few German / Jap bikes which MCN rated higher in that category. 

Reply to this Topic
ChingoBling

Jun 10

ChingoBling says:

interesting...

after reading your staunch defense of the triumph i find it interesting, mr. senior editor, that when clicking on your profile page here on mcn that there is a photo front and center of you riding a wheelie on...wait for it............a triumph street triple.  shock!   no wonder you go out guns blazing in defense of this machine.  you are either a proud owner of one or you just have your preference allready that it raises an eyebrow when it always comes up on top.  i say its absolute garbage to go out on a day ride through town and about the country side and declair one bike better than another.  lets be honest here.  these judgements are currently being based on opinion.  why not get some cold hard data.  take the bikes to a dyno and then a race track.  lets see laptimes and data logger results.  why not a 0-60 test as well as a 1/4 mile drag race?  how about some serious data rather than just some blokes preference. 

Reply to this Topic
aphmitchell

Jan 08

aphmitchell says:

@ChingoBling

This man speaks sense, lets see some numbers!

Reply to this Topic
Krisakka

Jun 10

Krisakka says:

results?

Which place did Aprilia score?

Reply to this Topic
ChrisNewbigging

Jun 06

Wrong (again)...

Chingobling - the bike in the picture you're referring to is a Speed Four test bike I had several years ago - that picture was taken at the 2007 Thundersprint. Before the Street Triple was introduced, in fact. That particular bike wouldn't have given me reason to form a Triumph bias - it was a category C write off, and used bikes go, a pretty unloved one. And why would we take naked road bikes to a track? They'd do it, but that's not what they're for. Performance data doesn't always reflect the bike that's best to ride either - the Kawasaki or the Yamaha are probably the most powerful, but they're not the most enjoyable to ride. This isn't a test for spec sheet warriors - we rode the bikes in their natural environment to come to a conclusion. 'Some bloke's preference might be irrelevant in your eyes, but 'some bloke' will be the one parting with cash to buy these bikes - not an acceleration data sheet.

Reply to this Topic
LaughMuBai

Sep 07

LaughMuBai says:

N1

Nice one Chris! I guess those criticizing overlooked that the T-STREET-T has wiped the floor in many other reviews for the same reasons MCN describe.

I do know of riders that rely on stats and they're the types who frequently don’t bother with a test ride B4 buying, followed by a quick sell when the reality of a ride sets in. The dealers must love stat people.

Anyway, I can't wait for 'ChingoBling's' FREE unbiased statistical video review on his own website available to us all...

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

street triple

Truth be told i dont think that ChingoBling even rides or if he does hasnt done for very long. 'let's see some data'... why? Who cares, just because a bike is quicker from 0-60 doesnt make it the best, that seems like a pretty juvenile immature thing to say, the sort of thing you expect to hear form a 15 year old 'how fat do that go mista'. Besides this type of bike isnt just about all out performance, that's what we have zx10r's and r1's for. I have ridden the street triple, and my oppinion is definitly not bias as im certainly a kawasaki loyalist and couldnt care too much if it's british. but any hoo yes i have ridden the street triple and thought it to be the most fun iv had in two wheels in such a long time, it's like rideing an extremely powerful supermotard, a bag of laughs, and i can 100% see why everyone loves them. I wouldnt own one personaly though as I like to scare myself silly at times and am currently drooling over the new z1000. p.s what the hell were yamaha thinking with that exhaust!

Reply to this Topic
philthewindsurfer

Aug 02

My view

I've had a Street Triple for 2 1/2 years, and done 9,500 miles on it. For having fun on the road its the best bike I've had. Revvy engine, torquey, amazing sound, light, good mpg, its been brilliant. I'm not surprised it still wins tests. Not great for touring as the suspension is a bit hard/harsh. But its designed for that. I've also got an XJR1300 which I've had for 7 years, 43,000 miles. Great for touring on, reliable, comfortable and extremely torquey. The trouble is when I get to the Alpes/Black Forest or wherever in comfort, I wish I had the ST.

Now I'd like something with a fairing for additional comfort.  I've had a go on the FZ8 and reckon its fine. Add the fairing it it will fit my needs perfectly.  Should be a briliant sports/tourer. So its goodbye ST/XJR, hello Fazer 800. Well, hello in mid July apparently.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices