You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Turning right

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

boss57uk

Apr 10

boss57uk says:

Turning right

Hi can anyone offer some info to a born again biker :smile  just returned to biking after  yrs :hmmm:  been having the odd ride here and there not much, bought a NT700V Honda with Shaft drive, all the bikes i had ridden have been chain and had no probsso this is all new to me :lol:  Anyway my point is. going right into roundabouts I cant seem to get the turning angle correct, :mad:  on normal right hand turns i can get the bike round ok  Left turns or coming out of  a round -about  no prob could this be due to torque effect of the shaft or am i just a prat  :lol:  any advise would be appreciated thanks 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (04 June 2010 00:00)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

turning

Welcome boss,from what you say it`s the camber of the road is against you,more so on rounabouts, your tyre pressures could be low,your wheels may be out of alignment,you could have more weight in your nearside pannier.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Probably need practice.

You probably need a bit of practice. The Deauville is quite a big beast and carries its weight high and being a V its not as smooth and as easy to ride slowly as some. Also it has big tyres which don't help feel...
When pulling away from a stop the shorter legged bikers struggle because they stop with their foot on the brake which means the bike leans to the left when stationary - guarantees a wobble when turning right on a tall seat.
Also remember that we all have a "handedness" so most of us find right hand turns less natural than left.
That said I sympathise. I used to have a 650 Deauville (Grand bike but hard to ride)  and used to struggle on low speed small roundabouts too. The things just feel every one of their 250Kg and the tyres feel inclined to let go. Sometimes tyre choice can help when you need to replace your tyres put on a GT type tyre rather than a square section that some fit...
P.S. Make sure you look up counter steering on Wikipedia. I don't ever remember being taught this skill but it made the bike much better for me once rolling at above 20mph or so. Proper counter steering makes the difference between fighting the bike into a lean and it jumping into one...
Enjoy your biking and welcome back...
Andy.

Reply to this Topic
skittles6969

Jul 08

skittles6969 says:

Roundabouts.

A good check of your tyres and pressures is needed. I know what you're on about though. The roundabout becomes a series of turns instead of one sweeping motion. There are a couple of reasons for this, besides mechanical problems.

1. You're too cautious and tensed up.

2. You're going too slow for the gyroscopic effects of the wheels to take effect.

I'll put my hand up now and admit to both these traits. I find 'going for it' a little faster does the trick most times. The first problem is pshycological, but with the state of our roads, and the amount of diesel our local bus companies throw on the roundabouts, it's always something that's in the back of my mind, hence the tensing and arse nipping.

But tyres and pressures always make a big difference. If you're not sure about how to check either, see a professional.

Andy is correct about the handed-ness thing too. I love getting the bikes cranked over to the left, but go round right handers like a child on a 3wheeler. LOL!

Reply to this Topic
boss57uk

Apr 10

boss57uk says:

Turning right

Thanks guys. i think the main thing is to practice, practice practice. the tyre pressures have all been checked and their correct.  As Andy stated i also find it a fight on mini roundabouts

Thanks again for ya thoughts

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices