Skip to content

Discuss This June 7 TT Blog: Guy Martin TT & road races

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > TT & road races > June 7 TT Blog: Guy Martin

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Gary Pinchin  says:

June 7 TT Blog: Guy Martin

Today’s post race press conference was a surreal affair. We had Michael Dunlop talking about going home because he’s let everyone down by finishing third - and second placed Guy Martin acting out a petulant protest over Saturday’s 30s penalty for exceeding the pit lane speed limit by 0.122kph. And, between  the pair of them, sat a very patient and...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (08 June 2010 14:32)

Post a message in TT & road races

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cayf

May 07

Cayf says:

Bluebottle2

I'm sorry mate, but who gives a rats arse how Joey and Hailwood would've dealt with this...? Guy's his own man, just because he looks up to some of the sports greats doesn't mean he has to act like them.

And how can you see why the organisers changed the rules..? Please tell me if I'm wrong, but I can't think of any time in the TT's history where an incident's taken place in the stop box of the pit lane....? If it ain't broke.....

Reply to this Topic
richiecondroz

Apr 05

Cayf

The limiter has been added to make the pit lane safer, its dangerous for mechanics and pit crew to be working with bikes coming past at the bottom of the lane at nearly 100 mph. Guy could have done what TAS Suzuki and Padgets have done and set their limiters less than 60 kph to ensure they dont break the rules.

Agree, its a bit harsh and i like Guy as a rider but rules are rules.

As for Guys team, I agree with Gary Pinchin. They are not good for Guy. I was at the paddock and asked if I could get Guys autograph. They said I could leave the photos with them as Guy was in and out and I respected he was there to work and did just this, with the instruction to call back and pick the photos up in Race Week. Went back up today and the same mechanic denied all knowledge of having the photos and essentially told me to go away as he knew noting about the photos.   I am now £50 down and really annoyed at the attitude this so called professional team have treated a die hard TT fan.

I believe Guy has been in the bad books with the organisers again, refusing to attend VIP press conferences (which I understand he is contracted to do). Guy is a big character and an important addition to the TT, but he and his team are not bigger than the TT and they need to go away and think about how they are conducting themselves!!!

Reply to this Topic
marktt04

May 10

marktt04 says:

Pit lane speeds

I take on board everything that has been said about this whole affair, i think one of guys main complaints was that when his team approached TT officials to see the calibration paperwork to prove the equipment accuracy and effectiveness this was not produced,they wanted proof and rightly so, that guy was indeed speeding and the equipment was accurate.However the fact remains that he was speeding and maybe next race he will have his speed limiter set to say 55km an hour,i do think that the time penalties are harsh but they are there to penalise dangerous speeds in pit lane.I also agree that in my 16/17 years of following the races i cannot remember a time when there was an accident in the pit lanes,i can only assume they have put these measures in place as the bikes are getting faster and pit lane teams furthest away from the stop box area have bikes passing them at speeds in excess of 100mph....once again health and safety has reared its ugly head ! things can be learnt from this by both teams,officials and racers...

Reply to this Topic
rywarn

Jun 10

rywarn says:

Guy's dummy

I could have excused Guy Martin acting like a spoilt little princess and spiting out his retro styled dummy if the penalty had have made the difference between winning and losing but it dosn't matter what penalty was given, or if none were given in this case. Guy still wouldn't have won the race! Hutchy cruised round the last lap and still won by a mile.

I think the idea of giving some leeway with the speeding penalty is fantastic though. Maybe for next year they could have a 59kph limit with a 1kph leeway, then everyone would be happy. lol

Reply to this Topic
Cayf

May 07

Cayf says:

Agreed, that's poor form on the autographs, and inexcusable if that's what happened, but to say the team is bad for Guy is a strong statement. History denotes that Guy has a big say in not only how the team is run, but who's in the team, so if he felt the set up wasn't good for him he simply wouldn’t buy into it. I personally would love to see him competing for HM Plant, Padgetts and such like, but I can't see it ever happening.

I'm not arguing the fact that limiters have been introduced to increase safety, but there have been no recorded incidents within the pit lane for as long as the TT has been running (to my knowledge), so to bring in such drastic measures with little to no testing was never going to work. This was a problem waiting to happen; the organisers may have got lucky and had to deal with a disgruntled rider out of the cameras eye, but they got their worst nightmare with it happening to Guy Martin, probably the most popular rider in the paddock.

And the words 'it’s a bit harsh' do not even begin to do this justice. Like I said, the fella's put his neck on the line and been dealt with like a school kid. To punish a rider for going 0.01 of a KPH over a new pit lane speed limit is nothing short of ludicrous. So many riders have been killed taking on the island, the risks they take just to compete are huge, ask yourself how you’d feel if you were treated in that way..

Reply to this Topic
Cayf

May 07

Cayf says:

rywarn

You clearly have no respect for what these people actually do; may I ask, have you ever been to the island and witnessed the TT...?

Right now I'm thinking probably not..

Reply to this Topic
Cayf

May 07

Cayf says:

rywarn again..

Forgot to mention - by not getting on the podium, not only is sponsor / rider exposure limited, but prize money is dramatically reduced, so two good reasons to 'spit the dummy'.

The more I read your crap the more I realise you really have no idea, you and Pinchin would go well together.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

the biggest disappointment is that we're all having a rant on here over some petty rider behaviour and not even recognising that hutchinson has had three faultless rides so far - this so called story has completely overshadowed his achievements.

i commend the introduction of speed limiters on the basis that it's to improve pit lane safety.  just because there hasn't been an accident to date isn't a reason for not implementing a measure used across the vast majority of motorsports events.  the stop box was becoming a farce as that wasn't being enforced, and was far more subjective than simple speed limit, justified on the basis that the bikes are leaving the pits faster than ever before.  the organisers are to be applauded for their constant efforts to improve safety across the event - an example being the lowest recoded casulaties on sunday.

this does nothing to impact on the respect and admiration i have for these guys averaging over 130 mph over 37 miles. let's hope it's the racing we'll be commenting on for the rest of the week!

Reply to this Topic
Agostini15

May 09

Agostini15 says:

I'm with Guy,

Ok so he broke the pit lane speed limit but by such a tiny little margin,I'n not surprised Martin went ape shit especially if the team were not allowed to question the authorities over the incident and receive evidence that he actaully commited the offence.Maybe a few seconds added to his overall time but 30 seconds is way too harsh. As to Guy's reaction to it after the race,he was pissed off and showed it.Whether people agree with his attitude or not is their opinion.Having just ridden like that on the most dangerous track in the world to be told he was being docked 30 seconds,most people in his position would have probably reacted in a far more direct manner ! As for eating an energy bar during the post race press conference,big deal. I'm guessing Martin received a pit signal at some point to tell him he had been given a time penalty ? From the TV highlights i saw of the race he certainly seemed to be riding with a lot of anger after his pit stop and was certainly pushing the limit.What would have been the outcome if he had crashed tyring to make up for lost time in that type of race ? That would have been a talking point for years after.I've never met Guy Martin but in the many interviews and profiles i have heard and read about him he certainly has a great personality and is certainly a great character.His reaction after this event was certainly not his normal attitude and for that it should be excused.I think most people could see his point of view and if they didn't they certainly should have.I just hope he manages to win a race before the end of the week,he would certainly still be a popular winner if he manages it.Best of luck to him.

Reply to this Topic
Cayf

May 07

Cayf says:

CosherB

I take on board your point, but your opening statement is out of line. If you can't see why Guy reacted the way he did then you clearly don't understand what he'd gone through, and in turn don't understand road racing.

Just look at Ryan Farquar's emotion at getting second in the superstock race, it means so much to these guys, their livelihood depends on it. It's got to be one of the toughest ways to earn a living in motorcycling, so it's not going to go down well if any rider is punished for something that's barely an offence.

What makes this even more laughable is the fact James Whitham described the test session for the pit lane limiters during practice week as 'chaos'; it was clear from very early on this was a last minute hash up. Why could they not have organised a test period weeks before the event to ensure this would not happen..?

Hutchison’s performances so far have been devastating, there’s no denying he’s had some luck (Cummins breakdown in the superbike race gifted him victory) but he’s made the most of it. On the flip side, his lack of personality means that talking points surrounding the more ‘popular’ riders may take the initial fore front. No disrespect to the lad of course, he comes across as a real genuine chap, but riders such as Martin attract attention because of their character as well as their riding. It’s not sad, it’s just the way it is.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices