Skip to content

Discuss This Top ten adventure bikes First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Top ten adventure bikes

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Top ten adventure bikes

More than 12,000 MCN readers have responded to our Biking Britain survey this year, and your combined scores on the bikes you own and love (or hate) have allowed us to put together this definitive list of your top 10 greatest adventure machines. Find a bike for sale now Here are the machines that topped...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (10 June 2010 15:15)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

OMG!

this result is gonna piss off the beemer and KTM owners and kick off one hell of an argument over the term "adventure bike". I have to say that I own an 08 Multistrada 1100s and although it is a fantastic all-round road bike, I wouldn't dare go down anything more adventurous than a green lane with a bit of gravel on it.

Let battle commence!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
supermario

Dec 09

supermario says:

Also.....

Yeah sorry I'm nit picking, it should be 76ftlb of torque for an 1100 mts

Reply to this Topic
Nephilius

Jan 09

Nephilius says:

Adventure bikes my arse

Suppose it depends on what your definition of "adventure" is. If it's going down Tesco's to get a baguette and some brie, then these bikes are clearly up for the job. But I'd say that most of the bikes in this top ten are way too heavy for serious off road work, unless you fancy a hernia picking them up, and probably don't have the clearance or suspension travel for what I'd personally regard as an adventure. Most of them are sports tourers, dressed up to look adventurous.

Reply to this Topic
jay.ducati

Jun 08

jay.ducati says:

guess im gona agree with this survey. ridden or owned most and duke wins on fun..

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Adv bikes

So people don't use them for off road adventures???

So what??  The vast majority of SPORTS bikes have NEVER been near a race track.

The majority of the adventure bikes listed are MORE than capable off road. Sure, not as capable as a small trail bike, but still capable.

A couple of years back, there was a BMW GS at a bike park. Covered in crap and had obviously been used to go to Morrocco and back or similar. This bike got more admiring looks than all the GSXRYZFRCBRRRRs that were there. Much to the consternation of their owners... LOL

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

sorry comment vanished

The Ducati is as usual a desire, poser material.  Celebs with no use, poser sports bikes and matching suits without a squashed fly on them etc, is part of society like it or not.

I reckon the rest of the list is about right, the 660 Tenere belongs there, funny though that the big GS has been divided up, what would happen if they were added together?

Transalp belongs there too.

Reply to this Topic
craigcbr

Jul 07

craigcbr says:

correct me if i am wrong.  But is the only bike in that list that has won the paris - dakar the ktm.  Yes I own a KTM 990 Adventure R, yes I've been green laning and yes I have just came back from a 2000 mile jaunt around the black forest and austrian alps.  I certainly wouldn't trust that ducati on anything other than tarmac.  

Reply to this Topic
DrAtsab

Jul 09

DrAtsab says:

surveys

They publish these surveys all the time in the MCN paper. Whatever type of bike it is the questions are the same (engine, reliability, brakes etc) and there is nothing specific about how you use the bike apart from whether you ride it to work, ride in groups and so on. Ducatis seem to attract good ratings off their owners whatever category they are in, but maybe that's just how Ducati owners would tend to respond anyway?

Reply to this Topic
OGO2L

Jun 10

OGO2L says:

ADVENTURE BIKE FOR VAN OWNERS

O what a surprise Ducati win again !!   Please MCN get out of Ducati's ass ?  it is always Ducati this Ducati that .  Ducati owners cry if they get too many flys splatted on them, adventure bike don't make me laugh.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices