Skip to content

Discuss This Bikes “should have front number plates” General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Bikes “should have front number plates”

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Bikes “should have front number plates”

Motorcycles should be fitted with front number plates so they can be detected by front-facing police cameras, according to the RAC Foundation.  The move would allow our registrations to be read by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras used to pick up uninsured or untaxed vehicles.  A spokeswoman for the RAC Foundation, which was established in 1991 as the research...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (10 June 2010 15:49)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

Er

Where? How would you do that? I don't understand. You can't put one on as in the picture above becasue cameras would not be able to read it. I think it would make more sense to wear a number plate on your head. Yeah, that's it - make motorycyclists wear numbers on their lids. That's another great idea. RAC? Are you reading this? You can have that one for free.

Reply to this Topic
gman360

Sep 08

gman360 says:

Ha Ha a 'Non Job'

Here my freinds is a little organisation that is just a complete waste of money.. or a 'non job' as the suits in westminster like to put it these days!

Its not April the 1st is it??

Reply to this Topic
Benbay001

Oct 09

Benbay001 says:

If it could..

If it could "be done safely" then i see no reason why not.

Reply to this Topic
cardiology

May 05

cardiology says:

Turn the cameras round, rear the rear.

Not exactly fucking difficult is it?

Reply to this Topic
SpartanMart

Apr 10

SpartanMart says:

if it could my arse!

Have they not considered the affect of putting a flat plate on the bikes front with regards to bike stability? it'd be like carrying a large piece of plywood upright on the top of your car in gale force winds.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

w hats would be the point of putting front number plate back on a  bike when they were banded in the 70s  as they were so un safe to people  plus they would be on side ways  on top of the mudguard so the front facing camra would not work any way

Reply to this Topic
Bigdog365

Feb 09

Bigdog365 says:

OK....

....Having re-read the article, I take back my comment about the breakdown cover, but I still think he's a tosser!

Reply to this Topic
BikerBladerAsh

Nov 07

BigDog, glad you took back the comment about breakdown, I work for them, LOL, I have no knowledge about the 'RAC Foundation' so unable to comment, but I agree with most coments on here, they should have thought about the whole front facing camera when they installed them, if they installed them rear facing they could read any vehicle, just like most speed cameras are rear facing.

And how rediculous would our gorgeous bikes look with a plate on the front, OMG I would cry. Its bad enough having numberplate legislation about lettering size etc in the first place.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Words fail me, and all in the name of loosing revenue from speed cameras most likely!

Reply to this Topic
DeucharsMc

Jan 10

DeucharsMc says:

More nutty ideas

Jesus Christ, just when I thought I had read enough shite this comes along. No doubt this study/research or what ever the fuck it’s called has been engineered by some total waste of space who spends his weekend on his own. Rather than spending thousands of pounds on research, talking to arseholes in the civil service and no doubt the geniuses at department of transport, how about you just turn the anpr cameras around? What is happening to this country and decisions around our roads. All the robbers and slags of the world don’t give a monkeys about any of this crap which will cost thousands and is designed to stop them offending. No it wont and nothing very will because they are bred from scum.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices