Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow to get big MotoGP chance? MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow to get big MotoGP chance?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow to get big MotoGP chance?

British rider Cal Crutchlow is heading the race to join Ben Spies in the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 MotoGP squad for at least three races, MCN understands. The reigning World Supersport champion is being lined up to replace Texan Colin Edwards, who is favourite to be seconded to the Fiat Yamaha factory team as injury cover for Italian Valentino Rossi.     Crutchlow...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (11 June 2010 12:10)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Edwards is a donkey

Why do factories still believe in Colin Edwards ? He hasn't done shit for years yet still clogs up good rides that should go to better, younger riders. Give Cal Crutchlow Rossi's bike, sack useless Edwards, send Spies to Afghanistan, disband the waste of time Tech 3 also ran outfit and do things properly with full works 3 man squad.

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

rebruncvik

Pretty much agree with what you said.

Sykes performance was outstanding considering his relative little experience, not oustanding full stop, it was too big a jump in one go, I suppose that shows how a promising career can be derailed with to good an opportunity to soon.

Cal has won two lots of supersport and  had a third, two thirds in BSB then been part of the WSBK circus with World Supersport so he has much more experience both of winning, the tracks and the WSBK life, so more will be expected.  Like Soflu, a World Supersport champion is expected to deliver in WSBK. 

However he has to gain an extra 30 points above some of the riders in the top 5 to get himself in the top 5 over the last 7 races, not impossible but a big ask of someone with his lack of consistency.  He has had about 3 DNFs and a 14th, two ninths and 8 and a 7, I think, already in 7 races so to make up an additional 30 points in another 7 wont be easy, and steal them from the likes of Camier (who is more succesful on a SBK), Corser, Toseland, Haga, Checa, Biaggi, Haslam and Rea!!! great if he did though, nothing against the lad.  Toseland only needs additional 9 points (over some of the top 4 riders) to get himself in the top 4, and he is a double WSBK champion so that looks potentially achievable. 

Yamaha have only had two riders outside of the top 5 championship standings in the last 5 years, Pitt when they first upped their game again to contend with the Ducatis, who was retained for the next year and Sykes who got the push (9th) both were in the top 10, so I dont see why Cal would be special if he didnt get in to the top 5 by the end of the season. 

However we will see.

You can maybe now see my point. I cant see less than 5th keeping a seat at Yamaha WSBK no matter what is said in the season unless it was due to an accident keeping someone out when they were on their way to the top.  Just an opinion.

Reply to this Topic
675cc

Oct 09

675cc says:

NO NO!!

How the hell can Crutchlow seriously be in line for MOTO GP? Toseland is a far more experienced and better rider. God knows how much bigger Crutchlows head will be if he were to get it! He is not good enough, simples

Reply to this Topic
juan el sombrero

Nov 07

No chance to see this happening due to the rookie rule, we may see him take a seat at tech 3 lend edwards out to the factory. Also 6 races in 6 weekends, without injury aswell is a bit much to ask. Get a veteran back like nakano or jaques.

Reply to this Topic
Jack Russel

Oct 03

Jack Russel says:

Oh god No!!!

please not Cals innane product placement in Motogp as well as WSB I don't know if i could stand it!

other than that. My opinion for what it's worth is that he needed to go to WSB or moto2 to prove himself there. Moto2 in the first year would have been a gamble on the chassis and team so he went to WSB on a works machine. Not a daft move. Now he needs to prove himself in that championship which, whether the poor results are his fault or not, hasn't set the world alight so he should stay put for now. If he's struggling to set up a WSB how will he cope in motogp?

Reply to this Topic
675cc

Oct 09

675cc says:

No chance

Crutchless WONT cope As stated he has failed so far to perform and is behind JT Never thought him much good, won the championship on the fastest bike with little competition last year. he would be a miserable failure in Moto GP and I couldn't stand listening to the 'WE DID THIS' WE DID THAT' constant 'WE' good heavens its pathetic

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

New interview..

with Herve Poncharal on motomatters.com pretty much dismisses the idea of anybody being drafted in from the WSBK championship. No surprise there.

Reply to this Topic
lakonur

Jun 10

lakonur says:

Be honest

I know that you are british but, guys, be honest please. The best rider to replace Valentino is Ben Spies or Edwars but not Carl, he's doing anything in SBK and I think Yamaha should not give a "prize" to him. Colin is the "safe bet" and Ben is riscky but could fight for winning every race (he has already done in SBK). If one of this riders got the Valentino's bike a japanese rider will come to Tech3.

Sorry for the grammar or any language mistake, greetings.

Reply to this Topic
Evs7

Mar 07

Evs7 says:

Got to be Cal

I must be one of the few people who thinks that Cal is the perfect choice. He's young, fast and has already proved twice that he is very good with bikes that require high corner speed (British Supersport/WSS) On top of that he is certainly someone who can hang it out there for a lap... look at all the pole positions he has achieved in World Superbike. If Yamaha are serious about investing in the future then they should look at Cal. MotoGP needs a British rider. Cal is young, fast and sponsor friendly and lets not kid ourselves people World Superbike is about being fast, MotoGP is about what you can bring to the table, no money, no ride.

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

maybe move edwards to fiat and stick jt in at tech 3, it makes sense as jt has experience on the m1,but this is all speculation and until yamaha make their minds up and make an anouncement

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices