Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

robinder

Jun 10

robinder says:

Bike Vs Bicycle Accident

Hi,

Quick question if anyone knows. I was recently involved in quite a serious accident recently. My bike and myself suffered quite serious damage. My insurance company have been notified of the accident and have put me onto their recommended solicitors. Multiple witnesses and police investigation so far place the cyclist firmly at fault. As they don't have a minimum of 3rd party insurance like we bikers do, what is the probability of recovering monies for the bike and myself?????

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 June 2010 20:35)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
triumphrider600

Feb 09

it will

depend on whether they have household insurance or not. If they have you can claim against the public liability section of it. If not you may be looking at a claim to the MIB.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

claim

Also claiming of the cyclist or gaurdian personly.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Sue

them personally, surely? If a road user does not have insurance surely they are then personally liable for damages?

This is opinion - I've no clue how it all works but that just makes sense to me.

Reply to this Topic
ACIC

Apr 06

ACIC says:

Motorcycle bicycle accident

Hi. Sorry to hear about this. The MIB is not an option as the accident was not caused by a motor vehicle. There appear to be two options. Firstly if the cyclist or someone in their household has third party liability cover through their house contents policy, then that insurer should deal with the claim. Secondly, failing that, if the cyclist has assets then a claim against that person who can meet the claim through funds in a bank account, forced sale of a home or through an attachment to earnings order. Let me know if you need any assistance. Kind regards, Andrew Campbell, Solicitor.  www.bikelawyer.co.uk  andrew@bikelawyer.co.uk

Reply to this Topic
silentg1971

Jun 10

silentg1971 says:

same here buddy

sorry to hijack your thread but this happened to me just today. young lad on a mountain bike walked straight in front of me. witnesses = yep, bike damaged = yep, injured but not too seriously thank god. insurance company say i have to stump up my excess and may also lose 5 years ncb. this is just ridiculous!! i will keep an eye on this thread for any more occurrences. keep us posted robinder

Reply to this Topic
gizmorun

Feb 10

gizmorun says:

personally

i think all cyclists should have tax, insurance, lights (inc indicators) and have to pass a test before being allowed to ride on the road (with a helmet ce approved helmet) 

if they dont then i refuse to recognise them as road users and will never give way to them or treat them th same way i'd treat a motorcyclist.

is it just me or do others feel like kicking the twats off their bikes when they jump lights, ride from road to pavement back to road when it suits them or when the idiots ride 3 abreast on country roads. 

Reply to this Topic
robinder

Jun 10

robinder says:

Update

Hi Guys and thanks for all the replies. I thought I would give you all some updates. I've collected the bike from the recovery garage and got it home. Basically it's f*cked. Every external panel, fixing - all smashed and bent. Local Yamaha dealer has quoted me over £4700 for repairs, although obviously they could not actually do it as parts no longer available.

The solicitors are currently awaiting on the police report and enquiries on the defendant's possible means/ability to pay up. I've sent them the quote, photos, doctor's details etc. Andrew/ACIC - many thanks for your comments, now at least I know MIB is not going to be an option.

I'll post some more updates if anybody is interested, as and when I get them.

Rob.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

bike v bike accident

Please do, I'd certainly be interested in seeing how it pans out.

Reply to this Topic
robinder

Jun 10

robinder says:

More updates...

Police have returned crash helmet and visor (were in brown "evidence" bags) as they were initially considered evidence. Was told that they were able to be returned as I was not going to be prosecuted. Cyclist apparently returned to work this week.
Solicitor unable to get the police report for a period of 6 months from the date of the accident. Still talking about finding out the likelihood of getting any money out of the cyclist. Can't believe I've got to wait 6 months just for solicitor to see the report, to get the cyclists name and address, and then make some enquiries about her being able to pay!
Why the police can't just give my solicitor her name and address, then she can write and threaten to sue the bitch. Apologies, but seeing my bike f*cked, every day sat there in my garage and unable to ride really does p*ss me off. Why are not people (legally) responsible for their actions?????

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices