Skip to content

General MOT failure..........or not? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > MOT failure..........or not?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

MOT failure..........or not?

Guys, i posted a couple days ago that my bike had failed the mot, needing 2 discs, and new handlebars, getting on for over £300 quids worth, which i aint got. I took bike to another garage yesterday for a second MOT, as i couldnt see any defect in bars and watched while he did mot, on the brake test yes the gauge did fluctuate slightly he gave me an advisory for this, and didnt say anything about the handlebars being bent! I'm back on the road at a cost of £29, rather than £329. He checked the discs out individually for me, the front left has a small area out of shape the right one is perfect, its amazin the difference from one garage to another, i will get the disc  changed when money allows, but happy days i'm out to north wales today:biggrin:,is there really this much inconsistency in the mot test, or was it cus i sat with the guy and actually watched this one?

Paul

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (13 June 2010 07:39)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bazstevens

Mar 09

bazstevens says:

MOT

There is a huge difference between testing centres for both cars and bikes. There shouldn't be as each vehicle has to meet a minimum standard but as usual these 'standards' are often treated with discretion! I take my different bikes to different testing centres depending on what is 'wrong' e.g brake pad wear, as some testers will fail, offer advisories or pass. Of course if there is something clearly unsafe then the bike should fail but some testers are just too picky.  Stick to the tester who passed the bike as he seems fair. 

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

Baz

Will def. not be going back to the first one, the guy who passed it seemed really knowlegible, was very fair, and did a proper job on the bike, as you say if it was in least bit unsafe i want it to fail. Will be sticking with this guy now, he couldnt do enough for the customers who were in his shop, unlike some..............

Reply to this Topic
bazstevens

Mar 09

bazstevens says:

MOT

Good MOT testers deserve acknowledgement and the best way to do this is  to let other bikers know who / where they are so that they can use them if they want (and likewise, by default, avoid other local 'picky' testers). There is nothing but good in 'naming and praising' and you cant be sued like you can in 'naming and shaming'!!!!!!!  However, the same message gets through.

Reply to this Topic
NORTHERNHELLBOY

Feb 10

mot testers

My CAR passed it's MOT,  breased through, no adviseries,...but told it may need  a check on the tracking, so..Popped into the local Mot centre (they're quick, and they fit), who promptly told me I needed 2 new tyres, new brake pipes, new brakes all the way round...over £700!! (luckly for me, he could do it there and then...yippee)

I explained the brakes where new, the pipes where less than 400 miles, AND NOT 45 MINUTES EARLIER, IT HAD PASSED IT'S MOT WITH A CLEAN BILL???..you should have seen is face?

NEEDLES TO SAY, DON'T GO TO A PACE THAT FITS THEM QUICK

AS FOR BIKES:  BMR GARAGE near the silver link, : 100% no bullshit, and as cheap as cheap chips....and free tea/coffee

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SheffieldSteel

Feb 09

NHB says

'NEEDLES TO SAY, DON'T GO TO A PLACE THAT FITS THEM QUICK'

I dont want owt fittin quickly, I want it fitting properly.

Need to mot my bike and dont know where to take it over here, Stockport / Mac area, anyone any advice on good mot station in my area.

Reply to this Topic
carbonni

Jul 08

carbonni says:

Quickly Fittings

My missus booked her car's MOT in with QF because "it was only £25", needless to say they failed it on many stupid things that I knew didn't exist or hadn't been checked such as the brake lines leaking at the rear, which was due to a little bit of fluid being present after I had changed the brakes all round the week before! They just assumed it was all bust, even though the brakes were working perfectly fine!

Never, ever book anything with these robbin Ba$tards - I took it to a bloke I know pretty well from years of MOT's and he passed it no problem, I even pointed out all the faults from QF and he was laughing about it all.

Back to bikes - I can highly recommend Stealth Motorcycles in Redditch for MOT's - not bothered about loud pipes etc but very good service.
Stealth Motorcycles

Reply to this Topic
djpert1

Feb 10

djpert1 says:

Anyone know a

good, cheap and fair bike MoT centre in the Bath/bristol area?

Reply to this Topic
pauldid

Aug 09

pauldid says:

Reedscooters

in Stourport, is who did it the second time, very freindly staff and obviously knowledgible. Pete the guy that did the test was exceptionnal, this place will get all my business from now on, and i highly recommend them. Wont name and shame the first one, but Ratty your prob, right, they know i've not been riding long, and when i've been in there i'm always asking advice etc, so 2 + 2 = bill for £300+!! Buggers. Had a great ride today Kinver to chester to Whitchurch, with a big :biggrin: and some cash for fuel and a butty. If anyone wants contact details let me know

Paul

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

No real commonaility

I had one MOT place try to fail a modified bike I had because the engine (GSXR1100) was fitted with a fully road legal Fireblade end can. Mating points were exactly the same as was pipe diameter so from a functional point of view the end can would have seen exactly the same run conditions. There was nothing else he could pull it up on.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices