Skip to content

Discuss This Cal Crutchlow declines Yamaha MotoGP chance MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Cal Crutchlow declines Yamaha MotoGP chance

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Cal Crutchlow declines Yamaha MotoGP chance

British rider Cal Crutchlow has declined the chance to partner American Ben Spies in at least three MotoGP races this season, MCN can exclusively reveal. Crutchlow held lengthy talks with Yamaha management about a temporary move to the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad, as was first reported by MCN last week. The 24-year-old would have joined Herve Poncharal’s squad for the Catalunya,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 June 2010 14:19)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RawDawg

Jan 09

RawDawg says:

Clarkson and Wosideg

@Clarkson

Obviously you don't know the difference between "the best of the best" and "entertainment". 20 kids banging elbows on 50cc scooters maybe "entertaining" but that doesn't mean they are the best in the world now does it?

Grid size and the like has absolutely nothing to do with what series has the best talent and best bikes in the world. And it isn't WSBK that has either.

@Wosideg

You say "JT's results weren't anything to cheer about" - what the hell do you think Cal could do with this wildcard?

I'm very surprised at you. You are around many sites like me on Crash and motomatters and the like so you are more knowledgeable and should know better. You should know this has "FAIL" written all over it. No testing, racing on tracks he's never seen, and racing WSBK in between weekends - how could this have a happy ending? Even when Simoncelli raced WSBK last year he tested the bike the week before. Spies tested the Suzuki before he raced it in 2008. What would Cal have been doing but riding around in last place? Seriously who do you think he could have beaten? How would that have helped his GP chances?

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

give jt a ride t tech 3 as he had experience of the team , it makes sense

Reply to this Topic
SV659Nut

Mar 09

SV659Nut says:

Bummer...

I'm dissapointed that Cal didn't take the Tech 3 ride. It's a VERY rare opportunity indeed to get to ride one of the premier racing motorcycles the world has to offer. The possiblity is real that he will never get another chance. I hope he does, but in the ultra competitive world of MotoGP nothing is guaranteed.

I suspect that Yahama is dissapointed he didn't leap at the opportunity as well. They are not idiots, they most certainly did not expect him to finish on the podium, or even in the top half of the pack. They just needed a solid rider to parade the FIAT logo around the track. It would also give them an opportunity to see his work ethic and hunger to rub handlebars with the big boys.

It sure would have been great for "the show" to see Cal banging bars in anger wiith the best the world has to offer. Making a safe carreer move may not have been the best choice in this instance. I hope he doesn't live to regret his decision.

Though my expectations would have been low - I sure would have loved to see what he could do.

Reply to this Topic
scatterbrained

Oct 09

Cal made the right choice

Bummer, I disagree with your assesment.  It is my understanding that like Spies last year Cal has an option in his contract for MotoGp placement pending acceptable results in WSBK.  Moving to GPs now would only  reduce his opportunity for good results in WSBK, add to that the schedule and I don't see it working out at all. What many who are dissapointed seem to be forgeting is that each race is going to be in different time zone. Add to that the two to three days a week spend traveling and setting up, three days riding that only leaves maybe one day for training or relaxing.  The jet lag alone could do him in. I think he made the right choice.

Reply to this Topic
scatterbrained

Oct 09

Whoops, I meant SVnut.

oops.

Reply to this Topic
easytargets

Jul 09

easytargets says:

dammed if you do dammed if you don't

We have to remember Cal was not being just given a chance to ride the machine, we would all jump at that, he as a pro-racer was being asked to fight on track against some of the best in the world with one hand tied behind his back on a second string machine. Until Valentino or Jorge has an outing on the Tech3 bike to prove otherwise, I am guessing it is inferior to the FIAT sponsored 1st team bikes. A tough call but the right one, an injury or poor showing would not have helped his career go forwards.

Reply to this Topic
RobTZ

Feb 10

RobTZ says:

RawDawq

I am very much with the people on this forum that said that rejecting the ride was the wrong thing to do. A few races in a season often guarantees future factory GP rides. Freddie Spencer  Honda(limited rides in 1982 before the full season in 1983; Kevin Schwantz Suzuki (limited rides in 1987; full ride in 1988) and even our own Niall Mackenzie who had a few rides at the end of 1986 on a factory Skoal Bandit Suzuki, impressed and was offered a 2 year works Honda Contract. Niall has been our most successful GP rider since Barry Sheene. Roger Burnett was a factory WSBK contender in 1988 and rode in the Grand Prix's when Wayne Gardners team mate was injured. And here we are going from 4 strokes to wild 2 strokes. Foggy to in 1990 taking over from the injured Chilli; who gave it his all for the fans at Donnington untill falling off.

Yamaha are the employer and you can guarantee he will be out of a job with them at contract renewal time. A chance to impress has been lost. People get on in life and especially in racing by pushing themselves and not working within their comfort zones. I hope Leon Haslam is offered a GP ride next year on something competitive, as he is our only hope in th eshort term.

Reply to this Topic
windy12

Oct 07

windy12 says:

I disagree RobTZ

Taking the fact as a given that some of the commentators are correct and Cal was pushed due to his contract in to WSBK instead of Moto 2, I cannot see the benefit of doing that stint, there is no gain and no place from it.  Edwards is not leaving.  Incidentally I think Edwards will be good on Rossi's bike, even he may take one or two races to settle in and he is in the championship already.  They will find someone for the Tech 3 ride, when you know all of the World's riders there will be many who could take that seat.  With so many good Yamaha riders they will probably just put it in a safe pair of hands, I would rather it was someone who has done a lot for Yamaha either in endurance or on the roads who gets the seat, it wouldnt damage their careers, not bad to have on their CVs and something to raise their and their Yamaha exploits to a wider audience.

Sykes as you know finished 9th and was sacked in WSBK, yet brilliant as he was for an inexperienced rider without top rides, he had no (major) titles to his name and no experience of the WSBK travelling circus to bring, or draw on when he came to a top seat in WSBK.

Cal has, he has finished top 3 in BSB, has british supersport championship and been part of the WSBK in the supersport class and as we all know won the championship.  He isnt a rookie going for the title/good championship finish.

For his career to remain on track he must finish higher in WSBK than his current position, he knows that and has pride in his work.  At the moment he is in danger of finishing near where Sykes did, a World champion finishing on the same level as a total rookie- not ideal.

Next season hopefully he has a choice if he finishes high enough, stay in WSBK and if he finishes above a certain position get a tech 3 seat, or go to Moto 2 and if he finishes above a certain position again get a tech 3 or another seat in GP.

I would love to see Edwards give up that seat and do one or two years in WSBK.

Cal knows which will be the best way in for him.

The other riders you mention may already have been on their way to GP, the deal almost done before and the wild card entries were just part of that build up process.  The number that may have got a seat due to a wild card entry are so tiny compared to the overall number of riders it just isnt a recognised career path.

Simoncelli for instance has been placed in other series with one off rides but everyone knew where he was destined for.  Those rides had nothing to do with his future.

I am in no doubt he has done the right thing.

If anything ruins his future progression it would be finishing 9 or worse in WSBK.

Reply to this Topic
IcantRIDEaBIKE

Aug 09

The job in hand

He is out of contract with Yamaha at the end of the season and wants to get into Moto2, riding round on a GP bike would be crazy with no experience. Well done Cal, good decision, you'll be in there when your ready

Reply to this Topic
bruncvik

Aug 09

bruncvik says:

Those who say..

he's made a mistake may be unaware of two pretty important considerations.

1) He's currently riding with a shoulder injury similar to Rossi's (the result of a get-off in Portimao testing) that isn't healing very well and may need surgery at some point. Putting him on a MotoGP bike and running him those extra race distances AND having him compete in WSBK rounds on alternate weekends is going to do nothing at all to get that injury healed.

2) There's no argument in claiming that he's blown a one-off chance, because he already HAS a provisional MotoGP contract for next year based on his WSBK championship finish. Therefore the best way to get himself a GP ride - with the right amount of testing and preparation - is actually to concentrate on improving his position in WSBK. With that in mind, chancing it in MotoGP would have been almost irresponsible. The ONLY way it might have worked is if he had gone in there and blown people's socks off, which, while not out of the question, was pretty unlikely. And you have to give him credit for accepting that.

Cal's not a guy that's been notable for bad career decisions, and I don't think this is one either.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle