Skip to content

General using the whole tyre! General

You are in... Forums > General > General > using the whole tyre!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

thehossdog

May 09

thehossdog says:

using the whole tyre!

Hello all,

quick if not strange question, given these harsh economic times i want to use more of the tyre, chicken strips dont bother me, i just feel i am missing out by not being able to get the bike over further.

currently i get round corners just fine, at a decent speed for the corner but obviously no where near what i could..

so to use up the rest of the tyre do i need more countersteering?
more lean using body position(not knee down or anything crazy)

or a mixture of both?

thanks in advance.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (15 June 2010 21:56)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robbie7334

Oct 09

robbie7334 says:

tyres

I dont think,in fact I know I have ever used all of my rear tyre's tread on any of my bikes and Ive bin ridin for 36 years.Never done a track day either I know some peeps do this to try and restore the profile of the tyres(back tyre squarin off).But you will get to use more of the tread on the front.Where the back tyre tends to square off the front tyre tends to go to a point in the middle and the right side wears more due to round abouts.Any ways its not about goin faster on the bends its about riding in yor comfort zone an its only you that has the control of that ride safe regards Robbie

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Tyre wear

@fuzzrr Do you use the full breadth of the front tyre too? I can wear off the rear chicken strips when the mood takes me, but never been able to use the front to the edges. I just assumed this was down to the tyres (sport/touring)? Yours look more sporty?

I've never had even tyre wear on the road. In fact my last set, the front wore out quicker than the rear, mostly on the RHS. The rear was still mostly worn in the middle, but I had done a few thousand motorway miles on them.

Reply to this Topic
twicky999

Sep 09

twicky999 says:

Tyre

On my back wheel there are next to none chicken strips, but on my front they are (just) visible. As mentioned- roundabouts are a great place and there are plenty around my way which are empty even at rush hour.  

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

others said just speed and confidence really. Pretty easy on the michelin pilot power 2cts kos they are an awesome tyre.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Downshift

Its very rare your gonna get to the edge of the front tyre on the road...

You got to be really on it, and hard on the brakes whilst turning in to be doing that.

Trackdays are a different matter, and the tyre gets used to the edge.... But it is a fine line.

Normally, if you are getting to the adge on the back with 'normal' road riding, you should still have some left to go on the front. Its the 'norm'..

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

hossdog

believe me im no track king lol,:lol: just been round one a few times and judging with some of the rider skill iv'e seen im a novice:ph43r:, im one of the slower riders on kams rideouts to:wink:, no kneedown on the roads though not for the lack of trying:wacko:

Reply to this Topic
thehossdog

May 09

thehossdog says:

ally

one of the slower riders! christ!

I think if i ever go out on one of them just point to a place on a map and ill get there at some point rather than trying to keep up!

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

hossdog

believe me you would be fine, plenty of stops to regroup and there are plenty of folk that will be happy to ride at a slower pace including myself, got a wife and three kids to come home to so i would rather take it easy, theres some good folk there to:wink:

Reply to this Topic
newbiebikerboy

Apr 04

hoss

feel free to tag along, we keep to a pretty moderate pace most of the day so you wont get left behind:biggrin:, besides scotlands a small place anyway

Reply to this Topic
thehossdog

May 09

thehossdog says:

ally/newbiebikerboy

Thanks for the encouragement chaps.

I think I will get a couple hundred miles in first before i venture out, definately this summer though.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle