Skip to content

General Drink Driving Limit? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Drink Driving Limit?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

twicky999

Sep 09

twicky999 says:

Drink Driving Limit?

Govt Proposes halving the drink drive limit. I personally think its a good idea, especially on a bike. I wouldnt even go near alcohol if im on my bike- (even in the morning after a night out) 

I would go so far as saying that a complete ban on having alcohol in your system - like in the aviation world.
What about you guys and gals?? 
:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (16 June 2010 14:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
twicky999

Sep 09

twicky999 says:

Busa..

..15-20 pints!!! 

Fecking Hell!!!! 

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

the problem with d/d limits

is that the effect varies from individual to individual - just because you're "under" the limit (or think you are)  doesn't mean your fit to drive: the effect varies with things like age, gender, metabolism, physiological make up, whether or not you've eaten etc., so it's basically Russian roulette: one person can be ok, and the next person not.

At least with a zero limit, there's no haziness with what you can legally (or safely) drink when driving, and indeed some countries already have a zero-alcohol limit.

I actually know of one case where someone had sunk about 8 pints - and PASSED a breath test...God only knows how :wacko:

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Joe slow

is right, knobs who drink 5 pints and drive home will still drink 5 pints and drive home.

What WILL happen, is that people like me, who might call for a couple of pints on the way home, (in the car) won't be bothered to stop for one, and after a b-b-q etc, on a Sunday, will have to take the next day off work!

Fookin mental

Reply to this Topic
mattdaytona

Feb 09

mattdaytona says:

I do not agree

I think the limit is fine as going by my very unscientific impression that when you hear about a drink driving accident the person tends to have twice the alcohol limit, not slightly over.

That being said when on the bike I never drink anything.  When in the car I will drive after drinking a bit.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

what would also be useful, on the subject of being under the influence

is much, much more awareness of the effects of medicinal drugs and treatments for short-term and long-term ills, especially where combinations of drugs are prescribed / taken.

These have side-effects as well, and while the general advice is "ask your chemist / GP", how many people actually do? And how many accidents / near misses are caused by these (I don't know of any collated figures)?

Food for thought?

Reply to this Topic
suzukisaluki

Apr 09

suzukisaluki says:

Id

Go with Zero limit having been on the receiving end of a drunk driver.

i woudnt drink and drive my car and no way would i ever get  on my bike. not even the day after.

personal choice i guess but id rather not risk someone elses death.

Reply to this Topic
joeslow

Mar 07

joeslow says:

Err did you not read the above

You cannot have a zero limit as you always have a natural level of alcohol in your body even if you are teetotal. This level will vary depending on what you eat and your metabolic rate.

I repeat A ZERO LIMIT IS NOT PRACTICAL

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

Never mind alcohol

you should get a 12 mth ban if texting causes an accident.

At the moment, I have no bike, great weather, Gill is off work, (her back is still bad) bike written off, no offer yet, helmets fooked. All this cos some bint runs into the back of us while texting! By the time ita all sorted, and Gill is better, there will be no summer left.

I suppose I should look on the bright side - we could have been killed:eyebrows:

Reply to this Topic
AJS500

Nov 09

AJS500 says:

Personal Choice.............

As the limit stands there is an element of personal choice, and taking responsibility for your own actions.  Plenty here have stated that they never drink when on the bike!  Most riders I know can happily (and safely) enjoy a pint or two and ride afterwards, and personally, a ride out in the countryside, with a couple of pints over lunch is part of the pleasure.

As others have stated, the problem is not drivers who have had a couple of pints, but those who are well over the limit, these will still act the same way after any change to the law.

Ride safe,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Find out the facts before spouting garbage

Fermentation (conversion of carbohydrates to alcohol) is a process that can often occur naturally in the stomach. You simply need a starchy food (eg potatoes) and natural sugars in a slight acidic solution. This means that simply eating a potato with some fruit juice will start a fermentation process in your stomach and you will give trace values of alcohol in a blood sample. Zero alcohol limit means that EVERYBODY in this country would be banned from driving.

The police would not try to ascertain how many pints you have had to drink. They would just get the most accurate technology to register trace alcohol levels that naturally occur and claim they are doing their job. Zero alcohol levels are only going to EVER be bandied around by those who simply don't understand ANYTHING about biology.

If we use the analogy that somebody should not drive after having drank an alcoholic pint then what is the time frame you will put on this. Are you advocating that a person never be allowed to drive if they have ever had an alcoholic drink, ate a meal/desert that had alcohol in it? If you stipulate a time period that you could drive after having drank (4 hours, 4 days, 4 weeks and how would this vary for the amoutn drank or persons metabolism??), you have to accept that there would still be trace alcohol levels in some people and that would have nothing to do with wether they had inbibed an alcoholic beverage or not.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle