Skip to content

General Drink Driving Limit? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Drink Driving Limit?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

twicky999

Sep 09

twicky999 says:

Drink Driving Limit?

Govt Proposes halving the drink drive limit. I personally think its a good idea, especially on a bike. I wouldnt even go near alcohol if im on my bike- (even in the morning after a night out) 

I would go so far as saying that a complete ban on having alcohol in your system - like in the aviation world.
What about you guys and gals?? 
:smile

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (16 June 2010 14:32)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BrandsR6

Oct 05

BrandsR6 says:

Govt/police missing the point again?

Surely the bulk of accidents involving alcohol and the biggest danger is from people who are substantially over the limit?!?  Not those who have had a pint or two.  Therefore, I cannot see that reducing the limit from 80mg to 50mg will have much effect on accidents etc.  The money would be better spent targeting those drivers who stagger out of a pub and drive home, or those who have taken drugs.

Like other people, I won't drink at all if riding and only have a pint if driving.

Reply to this Topic
twicky999

Sep 09

twicky999 says:

Zero Limit

Ok maybe Zero is not practical- medication etc, But Pilots have a 20mg per 100mg of blood limit. Maybe they should only allow people on the road with a IQ of 100+, or test people for their common sense. I know my IQ is above 100 so im safe in that sense.

:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

limit

In retrospect  it would be better just to have a lower limit and leave those like me who impose their own zero limit to their own......The limit at the moment isnt totally enforced as it is..Lower it but have the police do their job with all these dangerous drivers....Then find out if they have been drinking when you stop them for Their DRIVING!!!

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Neoral

Ciclosporin capsules have a small (very small) amount of alcohol in them. That's one example but it shows a zero tolerance policy would potentially criminalise a lot of people and leave them open to losing their licence just for having the temerity to have an organ transplant.

A scalable punishment policy would be more suitable in my view, setting the bar at 50mg/100ml with only a fine up to 80, then a fine and points up to 100 and then a good hard fisting with a long ban and a huuuuuuge fine thereafter. It gives leeway and a warning to those who just drift over the new limit to below the old one (bear in mind that they go on about units but the amount that is measured is variable depending on your body mass, how much you've eaten, the state of your liver and kidneys and where the bloody moon happens to be (if you're a woman) a kick, a bigger kick and a threat of points (frankly more of an issue to the majority of society than money) if you go slightly over the old limit and then really buggers you after that, where you pose a really threat to other people.

For the extra cash the government will make out of this, given many people will be more willing to have a drink on the grounds that they won't lose their licence for drifting slightly over the limit (bearing in mind for years it has been shown that in general the present limit doesn't pose a significant extra risk), I think we should see anywhere with an on licence being given the possibility to get a subsidised breathalyser with regular calibrations as used in roadside breath tests. Yeah they can't force people to use it, but they could certainly charge a small fee for its use to cover disposables and recoup the cost in the long run. Obviously a failed test can't be used as proof someone was drink driving as the police have to do a proper test at the station if someone tests positive. It could allow conscientious people to avoid losing their licence - if you'd had 2 pints with lunch, would you wait another 30 mins with a coke after testing over the limit to avoid a fine or worse? Those who intentionally drink drive will do it regardless and won't take advantage of the test and deserve everything they get but this system could save decent people their livelihood in some cases.

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

personally

i think people should self police themselves... you should be able to drink what you like and drive.
BUT if you have a accident, or cause one whilst drunk(say over 4 pints or equivalent ) its a automatic 1yr in prison.. if you kill some one whilst drunk its 15yrs in prison, no ifs or buts.

it would make alot of people think, and even i would cut down from 15 pints to 12 pints before driving a car.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
halftank

Feb 10

halftank says:

Busa

me too man ...

Reply to this Topic
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

halftank

nice teeth :lol:

Reply to this Topic
djpert1

Feb 10

djpert1 says:

Dont think that

a 0% policy would be a good idea. It is ssssoooo easy to get a tiny amount in your system. I would drink a pint and ride if it was just a couple of town miles. Shouldnt really but oh well. If i fall off, then I fall off. I see a load of bikers ride after 4 or 5 pints!:wacko: That is stupid!

Reply to this Topic
parapanfan

Apr 06

parapanfan says:

Those of you saying that drinking and driving/riding don't mix are missing the point

You are already aware of the dangers and, hopefully, behave accordingly.

Those who drive while shit-faced will still do so - but the thousands who drive after a small consumption of alcohol will now be criminalised whilst not presenting any greater threat than before.

I the evidence shows that the current legal limit is too high then lower it - if it is purely for commonality with Europe then leave it alone but punish the genuine offenders far more harshly.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices