Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Road positioning

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19p4Me8mrcc

Looks like a poor attempt at a racing line, or just plain bad road positioning. The 4x4 driver is obviously a nob, and we motorcyclists need to be prepared for them every turn we take!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 June 2010 00:28)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robbie7334

Oct 09

robbie7334 says:

road positioning

This guy was very lucky, and dont want to sound to patronising but there have been a couple of fellow bikers on this forum who have just passed there tests.This is a perfect example how dull some folks are over takin just before a bend with no consideration wot may  be round the corner.regards Robbie

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Road positioning

Yeah it's a useful video to learn from so I had to post the link after I saw it. Positioning for the best view round a bend isn't really taught for passing your motorcycle test. I know when I did mine I was just told to stay in the centre of my lane. It seems proper road positioning seems to be reserved for advanced instruction which I think is wrong.

Both riders in the video took the same dangerous line. It's probably safe to say they've learned something, although best to limit learning from mistakes if you can!

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Agreed...

The "Best view down the road" position is where you want to be.  You never know when there's going to be a tractor / accident / bus broken down in the middle of the road, never mind horses, kids 3-abreast on bikes etc. .   The rule really is not to go so fast, and ride so blind, that you can't stop before reaching what you can see ahead.

All the same, damned good reactions.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bend

Yes the riders, 4+4 driver,and the cyclist on the outside were all in the wrong position.downshift,you have surprised me there about not having road positioning taught when learning.:shock:

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

That Dude

was ASKING for it there... although not much you could of done bout the 4x4 in much case.

still terrible lane manners

:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Road positioning

@jaffa90 Passing your test is a licence to learn! The first words that come out of the examiners mouth after he says "You've passed", are "Have you thought about doing further instruction?".

The government want to make the motorcycle test more thorough, so instead of doing balancing acts on private ground, maybe they should incorporate some of the "advanced" stuff for real world use, which actually would improve safety!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

learning

So it`s the same old story,instructors teach you to past your test and not teach you to ride/drive.

Reply to this Topic
twicky999

Sep 09

twicky999 says:

Downshift

Spot on there mate! When i was learning, my dad told me all about road positions etc. I put it into practice when i was learning and my instructor told me that your not doing an advance course so just stay in the middle of the lane.

I didnt listen to him :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DrFutura

Apr 07

DrFutura says:

Its not a 4 x 4

its a truck. It has a cab front and seems to be loaded on an open rear with pallets.

Still a complete wanker though.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

tis a twincab...

pick-up,towing a low trailer with produce boxes stacked on it.It's probably in East Anglia,and the roads will be full of them.Very bad lines from the bike riders, you could almost say that if the pick-up wasn't overtaking them push-bikes, they may have had to pull over to miss the bikers.:shock:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices