Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Is the auto gearbox VFR1200 the future? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Poll: Is the auto gearbox VFR1200 the future?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Joined:

Posts:

MCN  says:

Poll: Is the auto gearbox VFR1200 the future?

Honda’s radical new automatic transmission VFR1200F DCT has already impressed in isolation – but how good is it back-to-back with the conventional version? In next week's MCN we're going to find out. The questions we wanted to answer were: what benefits or disadvantages does DCT offer compared to a tradtional gearbox? and does motorcycling need this car-derived system?  To find out we're testing both...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 June 2010 09:36)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

   

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

  1.  
  2.  
  3.  

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robertmj

Joined:

Aug 02

Posts: 6

robertmj says:

Can some of you not read?

The Honda DCT VFR1200 is NOT NOT NOT an automatic in the conventional sense. You are all thinking of big Mercedes of old with lazy hydraulic auto-boxes. The DCT system will run as an automatic in that manner, though the gear changes are exactly the same as you would do by lever/pedal. However the mode that is more interesting (out of town) is the ability to change up/down by the push of a button. YOU still decide when to change, YOU decide if you are "going for it" using the revs to the max, YOU decide if you are out for a bimble short shifting everywhere. I have a test ride booked for next week and can't wait. The only area I am concerned about is the stop/start point when in fully auto mode and trickling along in traffic (can I still use throttle and back brake together).

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Joined:

Oct 05

Posts: 515

evilamnesiac says:

Robert,

Since when did something as boring as the facts have any place on an MCN forum? - As for Darren, Oh La La indeed, I'm extremely sorry, in future I'll tow the line and spout bollocks about something I've never ridden, would that be better for you? read the posts on here from people who have ridden it, with the exception of coxyjim, the people who've ridden one loved it. And Coxy didn't say he hated it. He said that he thought it was better suited to tourers and a bit gimmicky, fair enough. If you've ridden one and think its rubbish, then fair do's. But don't spit your tampon out because someone points out your just making stuff up.

Reply to this Topic
darren636

Joined:

Jun 09

Posts: 210

darren636 says:

it is the future. the vfr's future. now its'  time for dream-time mr b.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Joined:

Oct 05

Posts: 515

evilamnesiac says:

Bioshock reference...

:)

Reply to this Topic
cat5cable

Joined:

May 09

Posts: 7

cat5cable says:

its not a vfr the real vfr had gear driven cams nuff said

ginger

Reply to this Topic
BRAZILREPORTER

Joined:

May 10

Posts: 4

Evil bloke, you work at Honda?? I do not have to drive a Prius to know that I won't like it, stop picking on everybodies opinion that's opposed to yours. You liked it so good luck, I'm with Hosbusa and I'm not a little bit interested to have this new technology on my next bike. 

PS I ride a Blackbird and this new bike should be marketed for us Blackbird riders.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Joined:

Mar 07

Posts: 82

Quite right...

Brazil Reporter - thoroughly agree.

I suspect I'm not the only one but... ready for it... I LIKE CHANGING GEAR!! I actually LIKE snicking through my SV1000S sweeeeet box, picking the right gear, blipping in between the gears. Bonza.

Not that I would pooh-pooh the Honda, if it floats your boat, great, buy it. But don't rant at others who don't share your bigoted little view.

Reply to this Topic
SDnomad

Joined:

Jun 10

Posts: 1

SDnomad says:

auto bike`s

I had a 1978 Honda 750A.Great looking but it felt wrong not shifting.I did put a lotta mile`s on it tho.Wish I still had it

Reply to this Topic
mpt600

Joined:

Apr 05

Posts: 29

mpt600 says:

Looking at the results...

...so far it seems that less than one in five of us see this as "the future".

I'm not surprised. I like Honda, but this doesn't interest me at all. I've lived through many, many fads, and most are best forgotten. Like 16" front wheels, anti dive forks, and hub centre steering. You could add v-tec if you like. All the manufacturers thought 16" front wheels made bikes handle better. They didn't. And anti-dive forks and hub centre steering were both going down that technological dead end that presumed that bikes would handle better if the forks didn't compress under braking. Ron Haslam, who had to race a forkless Elf Honda in GP's said that not compressing under braking meant less weight on the front tyre and a possible front end slide-away every corner. So manufacturers aren't always right.

But if you want this, buy it. If you don't, don't. There's no right or wrong about this, if there were we'd all be riding the same bike.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Joined:

Oct 05

Posts: 515

evilamnesiac says:

Lightening/brazil

I think actually reading the previous posts in there entirety would be beneficial, If your (as you claim 'not a little bit interested in') not having this on your next bike, why not? at the time of posting 45% of posters think 'Maybe, if it was the right system on the right bike.' and 19% think 'Yeah, it's the future'. That's 64% who as the very least think this kind of technology has a place in motorcycling, If you bothered to read the posts on here, I have not 'picked on' everyone who's opinion differed to mine, merely the 36% of stuck in their ways types who won't ever give anything new a chance, its a mentality that, if the other 64% of us shared, we would still be kicking bikes up with carbs and drum brakes. This technology will not suit everyone, a lot of people will find it pointless on a bike like the VFR, and it would certainly suit a Goldwing or Pan better due to the riders of those bikes thirst for technology. But the fact is this that this is a first application of a technology to motorcycles that actually delivers (at least in my opinion) both a useable 'flappy paddle' and automatic gearbox without the flaws inherent in earlier attempts, and I don't think saying that people should try it before pre-judging what its like is 'picking on them' . Everybody has the right an opinion, nobody has the right to demand that their opinion is respected or unchallenged, especially if they have never experienced the very thing their opinion is based on. and surprisingly for some of you I'm sure, I do not work for Honda. (as the only proof I can offer is words - The Honda Transalp is a poorly built, underpowered, overpriced heap, and I'd advise any of your to buy either the Versys or F800GS as an alternative)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

 

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices