Skip to content

Discuss This Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Sharpe  says:

Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’

New Transport Minister Mike Penning has told MPs that the government will stop handing millions of pounds in grants to local authorities for new speed cameras. The number of speed cameras has trebled over the last 10 years, and raise around £110million a year. However Mr. Penning has warned the local authorities to use other effective means of road safety measures. Local authorities...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 June 2010 09:53)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Lets not mistake this

as getting rid of cameras. It simply means, there either won't be any new ones, or there WILL be new ones, but other areas of the council's budgets will suffer. Then again, are councils willing to pay for the maintenance of the original cameras?

Either way, im glad to see the new Government are targeting areas that really do affect everyone.

Reply to this Topic
magpiemale

May 06

magpiemale says:

speed camera's save lives ?

Well with people speeding and then seeing a camera they brake then speed back up.....you cannot get away from proper police eyes on the road camera's do not stop cars from ploughing into bikes from junctions or driving close up peoples car bumper's.Camera's may cut accidents but as soon as drivers know where they are they modify their driving accordinly then just speed back up so camera's did not do anything in these cases.

Reply to this Topic
Szmolo

Aug 09

Szmolo says:

As much use as a...

Speed cameras are in my opinion now useless. Anyone with a SatNav can download speed camera positions, or you can even go online to find out where they are, I know every speed camera on my daily routes so slow down for them accordingly along with the other traffic, then speed up after.

I think money is going to be invested in mobile camera vans and average speed cameras instead which seem to be much more effective.

I still think they are a waste of time and money which only further aleinate the Police from the public.

Reply to this Topic
arbg92

Oct 05

arbg92 says:

At last, it seems a governent has seen that road safety is not just about speeding. I am sick and tired of "BRAKE" preaching to us that speed cameras are the way to save lives. They see this as the way to save lives..! Constantly they say that cameras save lives and yet when the stats show in some cases that casualties have risen they refuse to accept the findings.! Brake needs to realise there is more to saving lives than a "Yellow box" on a pole. Such as education for new drivers. A police force that actually does something about the abysmal driving standards and enforces the law. Maybe the remaining Cameras revenue could be regenerated back into education for new drivers and for better methods for reducing casualties.I for one will be glad to see the back of these yellow boxes.!

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

Cash Cow?

this is another decision made simply to win across voters.

the grants to be cut are for new cameras so no new cameras but this will not effect exsisiting cameras but what MCN are not telling you is that these grants called ABG's are used by local authorities for many other things like road improvement's.(i'm not talking pothole repairs)

ABG's are also used by you local authority in education, health, transport, community work, enviromental projects the list goes on so yeah death to the Gatso but this is just a tiny portion of what these grants are used for so don't celebrate too hard (:

Reply to this Topic
bluehaze60

Jun 10

bluehaze60 says:

cash cow

has anyone rode to the ace cafe via the a406 north circular, i,ve got a 40 mile ride to get there and i reckon there,s at least one every mile and thats without the average cameras on the road i use to get to the a 406

Reply to this Topic
sallison30

Mar 08

sallison30 says:

"speed cameras that have been proven to save lives." Blatant propaganda! It has been shown in non- governmental (therefore unbiased)surveys that speed trapping kills people. A safe driver looks out ahead rather than fixating on the speedo. When they see a camera they hit the brakes because they don't know weather they are within the speed limit or not. Drivers that do fixate on the speedo are a liability because they have no idea what's going on around them. Research in Australia has shown that, since the introduction of cameras, when a child is hit by a car, the car driver made no attempt to brake. Why, because they are looking at the speedo not the road ahead. I ride a bike in traffic every day and I know how unsafe it is to take your eye off the traffic to keep an eye on my speed.

Reply to this Topic
sallison30

Mar 08

sallison30 says:

"speed cameras that have been proven to save lives." Blatant propaganda! It has been shown in non- governmental (therefore unbiased)surveys that speed trapping kills people. A safe driver looks out ahead rather than fixating on the speedo. When they see a camera they hit the brakes because they don't know weather they are within the speed limit or not. Drivers that do fixate on the speedo are a liability because they have no idea what's going on around them. Research in Australia has shown that, since the introduction of cameras, when a child is hit by a car, the car driver made no attempt to brake. Why, because they are looking at the speedo not the road ahead. I ride a bike in traffic every day and I know how unsafe it is to take your eye off the traffic to keep an eye on my speed.

Reply to this Topic
JonathanWardUK

Apr 10

I am completely in favour of the government stopping to give grants for the installation of new cameras. I have noticed over the past few years that the number of cameras has more than doubled in certain areas, especially on busy roads. Although I have never been caught out by any speed (or as the government calls them 'safety') cameras, I still think that there are too many. If fact, as many people have mentioned, safety cameras are in fact a safety hazard as it encourages people to become fixated at their speedo. Taking into account the quality of driving from *some* people, I do not believe that this can be considered a worthwhile consequence.

Reply to this Topic
Cubikrube

Mar 07

Cubikrube says:

A406

I live in Palmers Green just off the North Circular, there's a few speed cam's but not that many tbh. I can still enjoy the bike in between slowing down for the cam's. As for average speed cam's, they are front facing so ignore them. As long as you are not riding like a twat you'll be fine.

The thing with these cam's is that you know wher they are and ride accordingly. If they want to sort things out there should be more traffic police out there, tackling the way people drive and ride. If i am honest, i prefer the cam's cos i know where they are, you don't know where officer dibble is lurking though do you? Less cam's might equal more coppers on the road.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not asking for any more of the feckers, it's just that they don't bother me particularly. Whenever i go somewhere new i have my eyes on stalks for them and ride a little less speedily but it only takes one trip to clock where they are and then from there i'll ride within myself but with a little more pace :)

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices