Skip to content

Discuss This Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’ General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

James Sharpe  says:

Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’

New Transport Minister Mike Penning has told MPs that the government will stop handing millions of pounds in grants to local authorities for new speed cameras. The number of speed cameras has trebled over the last 10 years, and raise around £110million a year. However Mr. Penning has warned the local authorities to use other effective means of road safety measures. Local authorities...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 June 2010 09:53)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
knowlep

Aug 02

knowlep says:

It's all about the Wonga

10% of speed cameras are in the right place e.g. outside schools etc and are worth every penny.

The rest are just an authorities way of using the "SAFETY" slogan as a means of revenue generation.

How many of us know of speed cameras in the middle of nowhere that serve no purpose other than to generate income.

This is what happens when the Police are taken off the road and technology used instead.

How about some "Drunken Arsehole Uninsured Crap Driver" cameras ???????

Reply to this Topic
Grimbeard

Mar 03

Grimbeard says:

Bad camera placement equals bad driving

On the road I live on there are four Gatso speed cameras (two in each direction, about half a mile apart) in a little over one mile of road. The road has a 40mph limit. Every single time I go out I see people who are doing 40mph brake sharply down to 30mph as they pass the cameras. They are clearly driving without due care and attention (they either don't know what the limit is, what speed they're doing, or both) but that's not my point - after all, their thought is probably 'better safe than sorry'. My point is that I'll bet you a pound to a pinch of shit that whilst they're braking they are watching their speedometers, not the road ahead. I'll bet you another pound that as they pass through the painted lines area they are watching their rear view mirror, not the road ahead. That's a fair chunk of not-looking-where-you-are-going. One of the cameras is by a zebra crossing. One of them is by a side-turning into a heavily used parking area. One of them is by a traffic light controlled junction with a side road. The fourth is between a pelican crossing and my driveway. At all of these places (especially the last!) I want drivers watching the road ahead for hazards: pedestrians, emerging vehicles, me coming out of or going into my driveway. I don't want them fixating on their speedometer and mirrors. Even if you believe that speed cameras do serve a useful purpose, and can be used appropriately (personally I believe neither of those things), such camera placement is surely inappropriate.

Reply to this Topic
Grimbeard

Mar 03

Grimbeard says:

P.S. Cameras don't prevent bad driving

Just as a brief post-script to my previous comment: coming home from work today I spotted three drivers talking on their hand-held mobile 'phones just on my road. You know, the road that has all those 'safety' cameras there for my protection. That's in less than three minutes, to put it into some sort of context.

Reply to this Topic
250NinjaR

Jun 10

250NinjaR says:

Slow down, speed up again..

Thats really the case ^

Your in a 30 limit doing 36-/+ you see a speed camera, so for 50 yards or so you slow down and then speed up again strait after.. that £110million can go to such a better cause

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices