Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Honda VFR1200F - DCT vs standard First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Honda VFR1200F - DCT vs standard

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Honda VFR1200F - DCT vs standard

In a world first comparison test we pit the standard Honda VFR1200F against the auto gearbox version.  Find a Honda VFR1200F for sale The auto (or DCT) version is £1100 more than standard. Is it worth the extra? Read the full test in the June 23 issue of MCN.   http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid1119137831http://www.brightcove.com/channel.jsp?channel=711881422 // By use of this code snippet, I agree to the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (22 June 2010 13:20)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BUSA666

Apr 09

BUSA666 says:

fantastic

technology but i love my clutch and gears.

Reply to this Topic
theMaskedAvenger

Jun 10

Why not...

Just stay at home and use the XBox or PS3 joypad if you don't like changing gears? Or better still, just watch videos of someone else riding - saves you getting cold and wet and having to do all that other tiresome stuff.

Reply to this Topic
nellopuma

Feb 03

nellopuma says:

More info please...

So when you are in manual and you do not press gear up does it hit the rev limiter? Or [like a car i used to have] will it change back to automatic and change gear at a certain rev anyway?

Not buying one either, just interested! The hand brake thing looks like it will snap off, pulling that on does not inspire confidence that the bike will not roll away!!

Reply to this Topic
paranoid73

Sep 07

paranoid73 says:

MCN, please do us a favour and buy a bloody micrphone! How many times have you made a video now where we cant hear whats being said.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Decent video

But same thoughts after watching:

A mechanical (cable or hydraulic) clutch is an essential safety feature on a motorcycle, especially a shaftie - a system so absolutely reliant on electronics and software shouldn't be allowed!

The gear changes are supposedly fast, but the reason for the smooth changes can be heard in the video - there is a fairly slow handover between the two clutches as they gradually re-synching the engine revs.  During shifting both old and new gears are engaged, so shift time is irrelevant, clutch handover time is key.

Not for racing then.  A dog box and maybe a little cush will beat it every time on the upshifts, momentarily storing the excess flywheel kinetic energy in the cush or the tyre rather than dissipating some of it in the clutches.

Worse still, the clutch handover that means the little clutches are both working (both sliding and transmitting torque simulatneously) at every shift.  Longevity and replacement cost will be interesting...

Over complex, over hyped and over here!

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

What a boring sound when shifting :P But indeed great technology. Don't think they wil sell much of those though. Like Yamaha who offered a clutchless FJR1300 and the year after the option was gone.

Reply to this Topic
perilla

Jun 10

perilla says:

The new joys of riding

I rather keep a clutch lever + shift, than add 3 new buttons to my bike. In heavy daily-city-commuting-traffic, this might be quite welcome... but still, I find it more of a driving experience doing it the 'good-old-way'.

MCN, please find a decent microphone wind cover... they are really not that expensive. Considering the amount of videos with audio deficiencies you are producing, it would be a great investment.

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Not For Me

Having rode the VFR i think i much prefer a clutch. No doubt some ppl will like its auto function but not for me.

All the same its good to give ppl the choice who may want it.

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Disabled Riders

Good point and opening up motorcycling to everyone is always a good thing.

Reply to this Topic
Lightning Boy

Mar 07

Strange fuss...

I commented on another discussion about this but I've started to think that its a lot of fuss about nothing - in the car world, automatic gearboxes are an option. Have manual, have auto, whichever you prefer.

Is it the future? No, its bikes catching up with cars.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices