Skip to content

Discuss This Can rumble strips cause tank-slappers? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Can rumble strips cause tank-slappers?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Can rumble strips cause tank-slappers?

Police investigating a fatal crash have asked MCN whether a tank-slapper can be induced by yellow rumble strips designed to slow traffic. They are investigating the death of a rider whose handlebars witnesses say began shaking violently from side to side the moment he hit rumble strips on the A642 in Swillington, Leeds. Their call to MCN came after another rider...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (24 June 2010 17:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
motoGPIZZIL

May 09

motoGPIZZIL says:

Slappers

Personaly i find them a bit unstable when braking on them, especially at motorway speeds. But for me its more a slight woble not "tank slappers". Also i find they can be a bit un-nerving it the wet to, although there is prob not to much to worry about it might just be my mind telling me "wet paint lines BEWARE" lol :o)

Reply to this Topic
Flyboy1

Sep 08

Flyboy1 says:

I ride a Suzuki GSX750F, which being a heavy old girl isnt affected too much by rumble strips, having said that, there is one on the A4 out of Bristol which is at the end of a piece of dual carriageway which is several miles long.

I find if I hit the first few strips at motorway speeds (between 70 & 80 - 85mph the front end and bars does weave a bit, if I slow down to 60mph or less before the first few strips, the weave dissapears and it becomes far more of an irritating bounce as the bike goes over the strips.

The worst piece of road I have ever come across for this sort of thing is heading south off the M6 Toll Road onto the M42, the M42 there appears to be made out of sections of concrete which are joined together with some serious bumps, which at motorway speeds is enough to bounce me up off the saddle! Fortunately these bouces are spaced at I would guess 70 meters apart, if they were any closer, there would be a serious risk of a tank slapper, particualry as that road is actually a motorway!

Reply to this Topic
huntersthompso

Feb 10

YES YES YES

finally some one has taken notice of this problem, i use a few bikes and often commute into Cardiff, there are a set of rumble strips just after you come off the motorway (m4 j32 coming from Swansea to Cardiff) to make it worce they go round a corner, on a suzuki bandit 1999 600cc at 60mph (maybe even a little less) if you hit the lines with a little front brake on it can result in what i would describe as a medium tank slapper enough to cause a less experienced rider serious danger or even an experienced rider danger in slippy conditions (i obviously make sure i slow down more before them now, but this is dangerous as im stil on the motorway so dont want to slow down too much, the bike is in good condition with good tyres and well serviced suspension set up i say this as some one with a motorcycle engineering degree. i do not have the same problem in the same location doing the same thing on a zx6 which i use more often but also noticed i did had the same problem on a vfr800, this leads me to believe it is bikes with a longer wheel base perhaps which are being affected. i see the reason behind these rumble strips, but they lower grip levels and unsettle any bike causing problems, i think they are generally more dangerous than if they were not there at all,

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

Erm, No

He'd of had to be doing something wrong in order for this to ALONE to trigger something. but then again, I have had tank slappers from a standard roundabout when ive turned hard...

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

slappers

I don't like them, particularly when they're on a curvy stretch, and you find not only do you have to slow down and bank, but now you've got these ridges bouncing you about.  Particularly bad in the wet.

What's really dodgy for bikes, though, are the elevated section of motorways, with elevated on/off ramps, which are sections of road on stilts.  Each section is joined by a metal strip of some kind that doesn't just give you a bounce, it's slippery - particularly in the wet.  So you're banked over for the tightening curve at motorway speeds, but need to straighten it right up every few hundred yards for a moment, to avoid to back end stepping out for a yard or two each time.  Frightens the bejesus out of the pillion passenger too!

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

hunterthompson:

I was writing my reply before seeing yours, I agree totally, particularly on the very spot you mention. 

The solution is have no rumble-strip in the centre of the lane.  Bikes can go through the centre without being shaken about, while dozy car drivers (who apparently need to be shaken awake when they're coming to a junction) can benefit from them, while bikes are not so endangered.

Reply to this Topic
huntersthompso

Feb 10

slow learner

many thanks, i dont think i have ever seen people agreeing on this site its nice to see motorcycle riders unite on something which is a minor problem for many of us , but unfortunately has caused someone else the ultimate price, i only hope some one takes note??

Reply to this Topic
huntersthompso

Feb 10

motorway gaps

i also know what your talking about with those metal gaps in motorway bridges (for expansion i guess), there are some just as you come off the motorway in to Swansea on a corner,, really not very help full in the dry but in the wet i have had a few slides on them.

Reply to this Topic
stevedeejay

Aug 09

stevedeejay says:

Fear and loathing

aye they're well dangerous get rid of them :mad:

Reply to this Topic
acreda

Aug 02

acreda says:

why not.....

keep the rumble strips on strait and grind out a small channel in such a way that bikes can use this and it has no major advantage for cars.

I have been back on a bike for 4 days after 8 years and i picked up my 636 ninja on saturday, known to be a good road bike and with lots of fans. felt that i was riding a jack hammer over the rumble strips and because the wind was so strong i had to stay in the middle, where of course their like band new!!!!

can they make somthing like a "biker lane"?

even when i was confint i have a number of scary moments when they were wet.

and remember we live in the UK, known of the discussion about weather!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices