Skip to content

General I wander(o) General

You are in... Forums > General > General > I wander(o)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

I wander(o)

there must be lots of learners out there who dont like to go to the big events,police things etc and cant afford regular tuition or know anywhere..and dont want all the initials/adverts round em etc........Now we have lots of experienced bikers  on here  who I should think from various points of this isle wouldnt mind just following a local learner for an hour and just give a bit of advice...I dont mean tuition as thats best left to those whose job it is,but its so pricey and sometimes a one to one word is all thats needed to save a life,learners are more at risk than us old heads....One asked me in worcester re this.not a kid either.....thoughts? or will I be shot down by missiles!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 July 2010 08:10)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
lesleyh

Aug 09

lesleyh says:

Personally, I think it's a great idea. Like you say, its expensive for the tuition.
And from experience, the instructor can often spend an awful lot of the lesson time on other learners in the group you're out with. The more time spent on the road with a safe, knowledgeable rider the better.

Reply to this Topic
davemdixon

Jul 09

davemdixon says:

What a good idea

passing on the 'knowledge' to learners by riding with them and when they have passed their test accompanying them whilst they find their feet with the bigger bike is a grand idea. It will also strengthen the bond between bikers new and old. The odd hour hear or there with a new local rider could be quite enjoyable.:smile

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

Just

Dont try n follow the fast riders when you pass,give yerself time .Thats the best advice I`ve had .

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

I'd

give it a go.  I'm also inclined to have a go at the IAM course too.  Not because I want a badge on me, or the bike, just to help me ride better and maybe avoid accidents that are my fault for longer

Reply to this Topic
MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

It's

been happening lately anyway ,we've had four different learners ( of all ages) start to come out with us on our Sunday morning rides from Worcester Motorcycle Club .Usually SilverFox looks after them and like you say ,doesn't teach but gives advice if asked for .

Mx

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Advice

This is something that I think about a lot, I am an observer for the IAM and it's amazing the reasons why riders won't have further training.

I would be glad to help someone improve their riding and would always encourage a rider to take on further training to improve skills, and by that I also mean have a go at off roading, track days it doesn't matter what you will learn something and improve your confidence.

Without doubt to be a good road rider you need training with advanced groups such as IAM and Rospa these are the main ones but there are others.

What amazes me is when you offer to help someone improve their riding, they just don't take the offer. My advice is if someone is willing to help you, consider it. But the danger is don't ride with someone who will take you out of your own comfort zone. Preferably use someone trained to do it or someone you know and can trust.  :smile:smile

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Bazablue

Most experienced riders would be up for it.

Just go along to a local meet, and chat to a few, and ask.  If those you speak to aren't interested themselves, they are bound to know someone who is.

Basically, you just want some rideouts, with someone keeping a friendly eye on you, and passing on specific tips useful to your style.

Reply to this Topic
FMOK

Mar 09

FMOK says:

Great idea!

Well as a learner I think this is a fantastic idea! It would definitely give me more confidence on the road and I would really appreciate any guidance from an experienced rider - what a lovely bunch you are!  :smile

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

wonder

well ,after  showing my partner the ropes and seeing how she is so safe on the road ,never mind some of the test nonsense cos you dont learn how to ride you tend to learn how to pass,its hard to explain really but \im advanced and well taught,I thought I could ride and drive before that,so I thought,well I couldnt. This came to mind when out in the cotswolds yesterday and came across a 15/16yr old girl on a pink scooter,,full throttle,inn pink loosely fastened open face helmet,skirt and white socks n courts wearing a pink anorak /no gloves.I thought my god ,why doesnt dad  get someone he  must know who can guide her along a bit!!!!So How do I go about it folks  or should I say we?Dont suppose the council would heap ELF n Safety n all that,course the ROAD SAFETY partnership wouldnt like it theyd call it tax avoidance and the POlice wouldnt either .praps local adverts best?Just so some kid doesnt have to join a club if they dont want to?Bike shops?     This is really for those passed the CBT and already astride but need advice.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Baza

If I start offerin riding practice to young women I'll have their dad round a bit sharpish! :lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices