Skip to content

Ask an Expert Filtering and a quick question Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Filtering and a quick question

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

atsharrock

Jul 10

atsharrock says:

Filtering and a quick question

Ive been riding for a year now and ive been taking it easy on my big bike and have just started filtering. After having an absolute muppet try and purposely squash me the other day i have analysed whether i was doing anything wrong and basically just have a few general questions about it.

Does everyone filter whenever they get the chance? as i said ive only just started to filter and when i was sitting in traffic (theres not that much traffic on my commute to work in Worcester really, a build up of maybe 6 cars) and noticed alot of bikers pass me, are they impatient, or am i too patient?

Merging back in, i take it i can merge back into traffic whenever i can...theres no real rule to this is there? If i start to filter then the traffic lights change from red to green so cars start moving, i imagine its best to just merge in as soon as they start to move at the same speed you are?

Any wise folks got any good tips on filtering?

Also a quick question, can motorbikes use bus lanes?...i googled this and although its talked about i cant find any hard facts saying its fine to use them.

Thanks people.

Thought i'd put in a photo of me and my bike for good measure back when i first got it :-)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (07 July 2010 23:05)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

filter

Filtering/overtaking is very dangerous for us riders because there is only one loser,if there is a queue at traffic lights where i could not go through at the next change i would filter up towards the front to get through at the next change.I try to nudge in front of a h.g.v. driver because they understand.Bus lanes are for buses only unless it states that motor cycles can use them. Ignore other bikers who persist to be on the front of the starting grid.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Tips on filtering?

Don't...

Okay, you will, but just remember there are more negatives than positives, so if there's any doubt then don't.

Legally you must not ignore lane markings (which may be hidden underneath other vehicles) or signage (e.g. sneeking up a right turn only lane to shoot of straight ahead, running up to the advanced stop line for pedal cycles, or using a hashed area bounded by solid white lines) just to get ahead.  Also, you must not force others to modify their course or speed, e.g. forcing your way back in, so filtering, like all riding needs to be planned and considerate.

Filtering between two lanes of traffic going the same way as you can seem "ruder" than riding down the outside, makes it harder to spot any pedestrians crosssing between stationary vehicles, and it could be embarassing and disconcerting if you get stall when the lights changed, but it's still probably safer than...

Riding down the outside - this isn't filtering, it's serial overtaking, and it can bring you into conflict with right turners, U turners and oncoming vehicles.  Being tipped off under a truck as it comes towards you is not my idea of fun.  Don't begin this manouvre unless you know where you can get back in.

Bus lanes that are open to motorcycles generally have blue signs which included a picture of a motorcyle - easy.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

Never say Never

yes filtering can be inheerantly dangerous but it can be completed without conflict or putting yourself at risk.

the problem with giving a general rule is that every road, queue, situation is different.

so what you need to learn is how to make the decision whilst riding as to wether or not to filter in any given situation.

if you decide to filter then;

keep your speed down less than 10mph passing stationary traffic.

filtering through moving traffic really is another kettle of fish

if it's 6 cars as you say then you want to be sure you can get to the front before the traffic moves off otherwise it's not worth the hassle.

as said if you need to use the opposite carraigeway to filter then ensure you have somwere to go should a vehicle come toward you

if your at the front don't cross the white line but be ready to get away befor the car next to you but don't jump the amber as you could find someone else has done this on the road crossing yours.

as you merge back into the traffic give the driver behind a thankyou wave.

filtering in some circumstances can be essential, on a motorway of fast dual carraigeway as i wouldn't want to be sat at the back of stationary traffic with vehicles approaching your rear at high speed.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

filtering

I think the main do's and don'ts have been covered.

For what it's worth, this is my methods:

When approaching a queue, ask yourself "is it worth it?" ie, weigh up the risks versus the time you are likely to save - sometimes it simply isn't even worth filtering.

If you do filter: I personally ALWAYS look for a gap where I can slot in if I need to (ie if the traffic starts moving again) - from this "new" position you can re-assess the situation and decide whether to filter further.

BEWARE OF JUNCTIONS / SIDE ROADS: If your filtering past a queue of traffic, any traffic waiting to emerge from side roads may not see you - even if they look (they may not see past the stationary traffic, especially if its big like a bus or an HGV). This is a "favourite" cause of filtering accidents.

Keep your speed down: you may well need to stop suddenly if something unexpected happens (a car u-turning for example).

There are always knobends in cars who will try to squash you / block you when filtering - they get jealous when they are trapped in tin cans, so watch out for that.

IF IN DOUBT: hold back.

Bus lanes: every local authority is different as to whether bikes can use bus lanes - either look for a sign with a bike symbol, or try asking your Roads & Transport dept which lanes can be used - bear in mind some are only open at particular times of day.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Filtering

I only tend to filter when traffic is queuing on dual carriageways and motorways. In town, unless I can see a big gap up ahead, I usually don't bother because its bumper to bumper traffic and as you'll technically be overtaking, its harder to get back into your lane. Having said that, I have aimed for a big gap only for the driver causing the gap to close it as quickly as possible as soon as they see me. As for merging, all well and good assuming the driver you just overtook isn't going to try and stop you, or as has happened to me, undertake you to get one back, forcing you into the wrong side of the road.

The biggest threat to filtering motorcycles in my opinion is people who think you shouldn't be doing it and try and stop you, aka road rage.

In most cases if you take caution you can be prepared for the person who turns across you through not seeing you, but there is always going to be a risk no-matter how much caution you take.

It's always best to go slow though. Whenever I filter on the motorway there is nearly always a motorcyclist behind who is faster than me, so I just let them through and continue behind. I can't keep up though, because if there is a collision, I'd rather it be a light knock than flying over the bonnet of a car! Hi-vis might help if you know you're going to be doing it, but even Police motorcyclists get knocked off in all their livery, so assess the risk for yourself and hope there aren't any bike haters ahead!

Reply to this Topic
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Filtering

Also consider this, that if you did have a prang whilst filtering, even if it was blatantly obvious to everyone that it was the other drivers fault, it's extremely rare for the insurance to agree with this, and they'll force you to accept partial blame, like 50-50, or you might be able to negotiate slightly better in your favour. You'll still have to pay and lose your no claims though. Legal cover is probably a good idea on your insurance policy just in case.

Reply to this Topic
atsharrock

Jul 10

atsharrock says:

Cheers

Thanks for the replies guys much appreciated.

What happened to me was like Downshift has mentioned, someone didnt take too kindly to me filtering and sped up to undertake me, forcing me on the outside of the road which wasnt the nicest position ive ever been in.

I think from now on im just going to filter when i feel its safe and if its worth it, as i have got to admit lately ive been filtering basically just because i can.

Cheers about the bus lane info too, talk about a noob question eh :-)

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Forcing you

yeh this happened to me. She decided she'd undertake me (I hadn't been filtering) and force me into snow.

My response was to stop her and point out it wasn't so clever...

Reply to this Topic
ibike

Mar 09

ibike says:

get it filtered

I think you have to do what you are comfortable with.

For me, I'd rather take as many opportunities as I can to filter, which does mean sometimes getting into situations that are not ideal, such as filtering through moving traffic, or filtering up to a large roundabout whilst the lights turn green and having to boot it through the cars to get to the front.

I'll also filter tight spaces and if I'm not comfortable riding due to lack of space, e.g. I think I'm going to smack a mirror with my handle bars, I'll stop, put my feet down and slowly guide the bike through the space.  

I'd say go for it and become a filtering and overtaking ninja, but again, you have to do what you feel comfortable with.

The actions of other bikers can guide you to the filtering possibilities. 

Reply to this Topic
Dravinian

Mar 10

Dravinian says:

Filtering...YES!

I can't believe some of the rubbish I am hearing about filtering on this thread.

First of all, there is no 50/50 rule for insurance companies because you are filtering, that is just flat out wrong and if you want I will post you up the case history to prove it.  If you are changing lanes it is YOUR duty to check that the road is clear, if a car changes lane and hits a motorcyclists they are in the wrong.  Only in very peculiar circumstances is this not the case.

Also, yes you should filter, you should filter every single chance you have.  If you don't, then why are you commuting on a bike?  Why don't you drive a car if you are going to sit in traffic or get the bus...at least you will be dry.

Filtering is no more "dangerous" then riding a motorcycle at any other time.  So unless the advice is don't ride a motorcycle, suggesting that it is dangerous to filter and therefore you shouldn't do it makes no sense at all.

I can't believe the rubbish I am reading coming from motorcyclists.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices