Skip to content

Discuss This Guardian readers’ ‘thoughtless and aggressive’ comments on biking General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Guardian readers’ ‘thoughtless and aggressive’ comments on biking

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

Guardian readers’ ‘thoughtless and aggressive’ comments on biking

The author of a Guardian opinion column about speeding motorcyclists has said it prompted ‘thoughtless and aggressive’ responses from the newspaper’s readers. Motorcyclists are referred to in posts on the paper’s website as ‘organ donors’, ‘annoying’ and ‘desperate and stupid’. One alludes to countering anti-social riding with the use of ‘piano wire’.    The comments are in response to a column by...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 July 2010 12:50)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

As an anecdote in a pub this might have been listened to with concern before being countered with numerous tales of cars pulling out on motorcycles which I have been unfortunate enough to witness first hand... unfortunately it was an article in a popular national newspaper... the comments it generated came from people who would never normally say such things (transformed in a similar way to which some do when they get behind a wheel) & whose arguments hold little water only voicing them because they know there are no consequences & no fear of confrontation. I do believe the author has a responsibility which I don't think was adequately dealt with in his closing statement especially considering it's title... this article has fueled hatred of a section of law-abiding road users.

Reply to this Topic
eltomo

Dec 09

eltomo says:

Guardian?

oh well its only the guardian, theyre just as bad as the daily mail. they have littereally no expects in any feild so all you get is this opinionated nonsense. about only about 50 people read it.

Reply to this Topic
nickyb65

Jan 10

nickyb65 says:

Left Wing Crap

The Guardian, what a load of crap that paper writes. Total left wing bullshit to appeal to Nu Labour. The Beano has more accurate news stories than that garbage. I think in a few years the paper won't exist as I know year on year sales are dropping like a stone, hopefully like The Mirror!

Reply to this Topic
Dan09

Jul 09

Dan09 says:

Bit more to it...

This story appeared on guardian.co.uk, the website version of the paper. It's an opinion piece on 'Comment is free' - it doesn't reflect the Guardian's view. Might seem like splitting hairs to you, but basically undercuts simple minded comments like 'left wing crap'. The Guardian and Independent are pretty much the only national newspapers able to reflect opinions and ideas which might challenge the right of centre views that we've come to accept as the norm since Thatcher and her pals shifted the ground so far to the right in the 80s... The comments left in response to the article also reflect a huge range of opinions and if you bother to read them you'll find some intelligent articulate bikers putting their side of the story, as well as an acknowledgement (common sense innit?) that some bikers do indeed ride far too fucking fast for their own good. And hands up, me too, I just rode home way over the speed limit when that felt OK, simply because I can. But that doesn't make it right, and doesn't make us immune to criticism when we fuck up. Read the guy's story and you'll find that the car driver died when he smashed into a wall swerving to avoid an overtaking biker on the wrong side of the road. It's not always the car drivers fault, and actually sometimes, like it or not, it's the biker riding beyond his skills who's to blame. To deny that, to blame car drivers, or lefties, or the government for curtailing some god given right to ride like a twat if I wanna, is just dumb.

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

grauniad

grauniad reader........ speaks for itself!

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

-

Bearing in mind that the average biker is said to be in his 40s and must have lived through Maggie Thatcher's reign, it always surprises me how right wing many forum members claim to be. Didn't she take us into Europe too? Maybe you were all stockbrokers in the '80s. I was in a factory on her Youth Opportunities Program. I was a YOP! Fair enough, that was 20 years ago, but they were formative years

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I've said it before

and I'll say it again: It was ONE story, told by ONE reporter,  and we only have ONE side of the story - Not one of us knows ALL the facts of what happened in that case - THAT is the CRUCIAL POINT Ed Douglas SHOULD have highlighted.

Reply to this Topic
magmann

May 06

magmann says:

Purge

Perhaps what is needed is a British equivalent of General Pinochet in charge of this country for 5 years. After this time period, we can return to democratic rule with a lower population level, roads that have been repaired, sensible speed limits and people like Ed Douglas as one of the 'disappeared.'

Reply to this Topic
CAPI300

Jun 10

CAPI300 says:

Let's get real/

Defending dangerous and irresponsible riders is not helping the cause. Dan09 makes some good points. MCN must take some responsibility for perpetuating the impression that we all want to ride superbikes to their limit on the road and that any improvement a rider makes is to make them faster. I'm new to riding and find it annoying that after all the new tests and training that we are still tarred with the same brush. We need to show that the minority, just like car drivers, ruin it for all.

Reply to this Topic
CAPI300

Jun 10

CAPI300 says:

Let's get real/

Defending dangerous and irresponsible riders is not helping the cause. Dan09 makes some good points. MCN must take some responsibility for perpetuating the impression that we all want to ride superbikes to their limit on the road and that any improvement a rider makes is to make them faster. I'm new to riding and find it annoying that after all the new tests and training that we are still tarred with the same brush. We need to show that the minority, just like car drivers, ruin it for all.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices