You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Legal > Ventura System Breaks Bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

TOFFEE72

Jul 10

TOFFEE72 says:

Ventura System Breaks Bike

I've recently returned from a UK tour on my R1 and just beforer I went I fitted a ventura luggage system as it was the only system that kept everything out the way of the exhaust system that runs under the seat. This worked great except for after a 3000mile tour the weight of the system and luggage had broke the sub frame on my R1 and damaged the plastics. I've been in contact with Ventura who are saying i must have overloaded the system for it to break but i only had normal stuff in the bags and not bricks!! I've spoken to Yamaha who say even though my bike is still under waranty it shouldn't have been fitted with any non yamaha aftermarket product so I can't claim from them either. The bike is going to cost around £1000 for me to repair which I can't afford as I'm out of work and really feel the Ventura system is to blame but where do I go from here?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (17 July 2010 10:35)

Post a message in Legal

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

what is "normal stuff"?

bear in mind that "light" things can add serious weight if you got a fair amount - it can be easier to do that than you imagine. 

Who installed the Ventura system?

As for Yamaha, they are quite correct in refusing the warranty I'm afraid.

What types of roads / surfaces were you riding on? was there any rough / unmade roads that could have caused vibration, leading to cracking?

You could try claiming from Ventura, under the Sale of Goods Act, citing the systems fitness for purpose - BUT you'd have to prove it wasn't fit for purpose.

Hope that helps

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

loading?

Presumably Ventura give a recommended loading, which will be 2/3 of naff all.. If you were conforming to their recommendations, and didn't hit a monster pot hole, I'd think they might be liable for the consequential damage?

I think that's one of the reasons most luggage makers won't touch sports bikes - their sub frames are designed for two people max, with asses for padding, and not much leverage.  Rigid mounted luggage is a different kettle of fish, and its hard to prove it if was over-loaded or not.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices