Skip to content

Ask an Expert Which Tourer Would you Buy Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Which Tourer Would you Buy

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

johnny yellow pants

Sep 07

Which Tourer Would you Buy

I`m sure this question must have been asked before but anyway!!!

Which tourer would you buy?

Today I have test ridden a New Pan European, I was very impressed on the whole, I currently ride a Fazer 1000 mk 1,

Is the FJR 1300 a better bike, I think it is better looking?

What do you think?

JYP

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (18 July 2010 19:50)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
wynner

Jan 04

wynner says:

Weak brakes?

Are you sure the one you tried was as it should be?:unsure:

The early FJR had R1 brakes anyway, though they obviously have more weight to deal with.

I was dissapointed to find my 07 FJR had different brakes when I bought it (ABS model). Not for long, I find them even better than the old model, the only thing I don't like about them is the linked brakes that operate one pair of pistons on a front caliper with the rear brake pedal which makes U turns a bit more tricky.

Reply to this Topic
Flyboy1

Sep 08

Flyboy1 says:

What about a Suzuki?

Hiya,

Have you considered a Suzuki? I know one of your criteria is for a shaft drive, but a good chain drive with a scotoiler or similar is equally as good and requires similar levels of maintenance. The touring version of the scotoiler for instance has an oil tank which will be enough for between 4000 and 6000 miles between fills.

There are a few bikes in the Suzuki range you could look at, the Bandit GT being a fully spec'd tourer, then there is the new GSX1250F, which again if you go for the ST version is a fully spec'd tourer, although one of my personal criticisms is the fact that the hard luggage is quite small. Then there is the busa, which with some mod's to increase the bar height makes a superb tourer.

I know some people say the build quality isnt that great on Suzuki's and they are known for corrosion. What I would say to that is like everything, if you look after it properly, it will be fine. I currently have an 8 year old GSX750F K2 which has lasted well and is not quite, but almost showroom condition. Before you ask, yes, I do ride the bike all year round.

Incidentially, a few years ago, I went up to the Thundersprint in Northwich, Cheshire. On the Saturday they had a bike show at the local rugby ground where BMW had their full range of bikes which were available for a 30 mile accompanied test ride. I tried to get a booking for the F800ST, but someone pipped me to that, so I ended up taking the slightly more sports focused F800S for a run.

Comparing the F800S with my GSX750F, I found that the parallel twin of the BMW was lively, punchy and torquey, but not that far off the Suzuki I have now. The one thing that for me let the BMW down was the handling, maybe it was the standard OEM tyres but it didnt feel anywhere near as planted on the road as my Suzuki does.

The other thing that let the BMW down for me was the location of the fuel tank and filler, which is under the seat with the filler on one of the side panels just below the seat. If you were out on a tour and had a roll bag or something strapped accross the pillion seat, I would imagine it would be a real pain to fill it up as you would probably have to move the luggage out of the way first!

Reply to this Topic
vanortset

May 09

vanortset says:

which tourer

:smilehello johnny yellow pants.todays biker is to molly coddled and baffled by bullshit,and that is what is making your choice so difficult.my very first trip abroad was in 1956 on a triumph thunderbird with a rear sprung hub,loaded with panniers and suitcase,destination san remo down on the med just over the french boarder. never missed a beat and was dead comfy.last year i did a trip,camping fully loaded down to the pyrennes,my present bike is a honda 600 cbf,what a superb bike.it is an 2004 carb model,cheap as chips.i would never swap it for anything else.you pays your money,you takes you choice.by the way,i am 74 years young.

Reply to this Topic
mrmarklin

Apr 10

mrmarklin says:

which tourer

Mine is a Harley softail motorcycle.  The tourists photograph me!!!! :sunglasses: True story.

In all seriousness, this is a great bike for on road touring.  It can be configured anyway you like for max comfort.  There are low seats, high seats, mid controls, forward controls, any windshield height you can think of can be obtained, luggage,  etc etc etc.  Get the base model to start your adventure.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u114/mrmarklin/IMG_6128.jpg

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
sar02

Aug 10

sar02 says:

fjr

just come back from the south of france on my 2003 fjr,absolute bliss,no problems on the run apart from 1 stock fault,the rear suspension,i,ve lowered the bike to make manouvering while sitting and pushing with legs easier but when fully laden it did bottom out a couple of times on rough camp site roads,there are better rear dampers to fit so i shall be changing mine before the trip to germany and the rhine next year.loads of reasonable spares and bits on ebay.

Reply to this Topic
panbloke

Feb 09

panbloke says:

Which Tourer Would you Buy - Reply

Difficult innit? Had my Pan since 2004.  I can only share some experiences I guess. It does have good carrying capacity and it seems that however much weight you put on it it never really feels any different. Fairing and screen is generally good, but it does not like turbulent air - like you might get when you find yourself behind a lorry on a fast dual carriageway - the wind does seem to shake the bike around a bit on those condiitions. Try to get a decent length test ride.  Load it up, and put a pillion on it......

Reply to this Topic
logintr

Sep 10

logintr says:

Tourer

My old bike was Pan, Pan is a great bike. I am riding GTR1400 now, this is diff when compare with Pan. Faster and stronger, FJR 1300 also similar. After Fazer 1000 I suggest you to try GTR or FJR. Or you can make a bran new chnages to take a test ride of VFR1200.

Reply to this Topic
Busterlung

Mar 10

Busterlung says:

An inbetweenie

Buy my Triumph Sprint ST 1050. :winkie:

I've done just under 7000 miles around Europe on her since I bought her new in March 2010.

When I'm home I can take all the whisles and bells off and ride around with the sports bike clan on Sunday mornings.

The best of both worlds.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
flookyk

Oct 10

flookyk says:

Tourer

JYP, it all depends on what you want from your tourer, the FJR is the more sporty, the GS lighter and the Pan more comfortable for long journeys with pillions.

For me, the tourer had to be capable of 500 - 600 miles at a time with fuel stops around 220- 250 miles mark and be comfortable for myself and SWMBO fully loaded with luggauge for 2-3 weeks but also be usable to and from work.

I chose the Pan but if I was riding on my own only, then the decision may have been different.

People have their own opinions about what they want from a tourer, or any bike. For most Pan owners the new VFR is not a tourer, as it's not comfortable for long journeys and has not got the fuel range, being used to the more upright riding postion of the Pan.

My advice would be to have a think about what you most want from it, have a test ride of as many of the options as possible with your pillion if you will be going two up quite a bit and see which "fits the bill" best for you.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices