Skip to content

Discuss This Cumbria Police hunt £15K Harley General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Cumbria Police hunt £15K Harley

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

Cumbria Police hunt £15K Harley

Police in Cumbria are investigating the theft of a vintage 1949 Harley-Davidson Model U valued at £15,000. The blue bike, similar to the one above, was stolen during the Barbon Hill Climb, at Barbon Low Fells, Hoggs Hill, Barbon near Sedbergh in Cumbria on Saturday, between 12:30pm and 4pm. It was secured with a large chain and padlock close to the portable...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (19 July 2010 17:42)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
numb fingers

Aug 02

numb fingers says:

scumbags

thats all i can say, scumbags

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

theft

itll be in a van or container en route to polski

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Very hard to sell as a whole, it will be broken up probably.

Reply to this Topic
AmericanV

Dec 09

AmericanV says:

Similar ... yes, it's blue

The stolen bike, if it is indeed a Model U, will look similar to the bike pictured, but only in loose terms.

The pictured bike is a Model E or Model F with OHV heads, 'panhead' rocker covers and telescopic forks, but the U is a sidevalve with springer forks.

Don't want to piss on anyone's chips, but they also stopped making the Model U in 1948, so it could actually be a 1949 Model E that they're looking for, in which case the pictures right but the story's wrong ... it is blue, isn't it?

Echoing 'numb fingers', yes: Scumbags.

But it's as likely to be heading to a private collection in the US in one piece as to a black market in Eastern Europe: that's where the money is for this. Very easy to sell to someone who wants it, and as it predates VIN numbers, it'll be hard to track across international boundaries.

Don't know how the hell they'd do it, but customs and excise should be checking all exported bikes and cars against a list of missing vehicles. Sadly, seeing as the DVLA won't even allow the LVLO or Post Offices to check details on the central insurance database for road tax purposes, I don't hold out much hope that anyone's bright enough to devise a system that might work.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Sad

Sad to see that scumbags stop people enjoying their toys. I'm not really a vintage or a Harley bloke but 15K seems a good price for such a special bike. Not cheap but attainable if it was prepared to sacrifice other things.

My sympathies to the owners. You have lost a real joy.

Reply to this Topic
rossy592

May 10

rossy592 says:

sad sad sad

it seems strange to me that the "polis" use all the latest IT systems to track down insurance, mot and road tax evaders but wont or cant use technology to check these types of bikes against a centralised stolen data base.when they're being exported... my heartfelt sympathy's go out to the owner and hopefully the scumbags will be brought to bear ..

Reply to this Topic
scotsmaninusa

Apr 10

what?????

the bikes worth 15k and the owner doesn't even have a pic of it??????

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

By defeniton the police "investigating" means a crime number has been issued and an appeal for informaiton made.

Thats all, the police do`nt investiagte bike theft, not in my lifetime ! They don`t even investigate when your home is broken into and robbed days before Christmas.

Bullshit.

Reply to this Topic
vstromtrooper

May 10

get real

BUSA - Everyone knows that the bike was abroad in bits 24 hours after it was stolen. What are they supposed to do, stop every ship, van , lorry in the country? You are full of b/s. I had my bike stolen and recovered within 24 hours in London. What do you mean by investiagte? I'm sorry if it was your home that got broken into but you know nothing about investigation. They can get all the evidence they can from crime scenes etc., but generally unless the criminal is on a databse somewhere, the only way of catching poeple is they either fess up to it of someone shops them. that is the real world...

Reply to this Topic
Trumpton3

Feb 08

Trumpton3 says:

£15k

You could buy a proper motorbike for that money :-)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices