Skip to content

Ask an Expert 09 R6 vs 2008 blade?.. Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > 09 R6 vs 2008 blade?..

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bedlam1

Jul 10

bedlam1 says:

09 R6 vs 2008 blade?..

Hi guys,

I recently had my 06 zxr636 pinched and im currently looking to buy a new bike. Im thinking a 09 r6..had an r6 in the past and ejoyed it.

The other bike im looking at is the 2008 blade.
Ive never owned a liter bike before,but since ive been looking im shocked how small they are these days. (sat on / not riden)The blade feels smaller and lighter than my 06 zxr636!

Ive been told they are not massivley faster than a modern 600 supersport, but i will notice it more on a long run..ie comfort,range with less vibes at speed. I cant really get time to take one out at the moment..so no test ride :wacko:

Anybody else made the jump to 1000cc recently?
I am really having a hard time deciding which way to go..

cheers all
jon

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (20 July 2010 13:04)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

jump

If you jump to a 1000cc you`ll never go back,i have the detuned cbf1000 where i can slow down to 20mph in top gear and open up without changing gear.If you like changing gear all the time stick to the 600s.(i`m lazy):smile

Reply to this Topic
bedlam1

Jul 10

bedlam1 says:

blade

Hey cheers jaffa

Im a little nervous about going up for some reason!
I was like that when i got my first 600, then spent 3 years thrashing it before chopping it in for a faster one! lol

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

The case for a litre...

Balance shafts - 1000cc engines have them and therefore vibrate less than their 600-750cc cousins.

Grunt - we're talking circa 50bhp and 50ft.lb by just 4000rpm - enough for burbling around when you're not on it, making for more of a schizo bike - brisk but sane and smooth below 5-6k, mental above 10-12k, you twists your wrist and makes your choice.

Litre bikes are usually better equipped (to justify the expense) - slicker suspension, electronic steering dampers that back off at town speeds, hydraulic clutches, slipper clutches... genuinely useful stuff.

Bigger, heavier - better for living with on a long cross country commute or touring, maybe not quite so good for track but won't hold it back on the road.

Range - bizarrely they seem to use no more fuel than a 600 and often have bigger tanks.

Pillion-able - extra weight, stronger springy bits and a marginally bigger seat, and torque that makes smooth but reasonably progress easy.

Even so, test ride before choosing...

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

I've ridden an 08 R6 and a 09 Fireblade.....

Chalk and Cheese. The R6 is a shit road bike, and the Blade is the ultimate road bike. That just about sums everything up.

Reply to this Topic
bedlam1

Jul 10

bedlam1 says:

r6 kak on the road?

Hay fuzzrr

Why would you say 08-09 r6 is a shit road bike?
Is it too hard or just too revvy? small? all lol?

Reply to this Topic
fuzzrr

Sep 06

fuzzrr says:

Ok....bit harsh to call them shit I supose.

But...

The suspension is too harsh for the road, and no matter what you do to them, they will always be tying themselves in knots on our roads if you get a proper strut on. On the track then fair enough, they are suposed to be a good tool.

I have had 600's for most of my time on the road. TBH I enjoy the fact that you have to keep them revving, and use the box. I just fealt the R6 was too over the top for road use. Just not enough mid range, and top end power came in too late but ran out too quick........ Again, on the track it would be a different matter.

The Blade on the other hand...............Perfect, in every way. You got to ride one to appreciate it.  Fitted me like my old 600RR, handled like the 600RR, but with 160bhp. What more could you want? :roll eyes:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

What more could you want?

How about a bit more bottom end stomp from a longer stroke, and a safe cuddly midrange that makes the top end that bit more exciting...  a GSX-R then, still a better road bike, and prettier too

Reply to this Topic
bedlam1

Jul 10

bedlam1 says:

new bike!

Just a quick update..

I bought a 09 ZX6R! i wasnt looking for one, but it came up at a real good price..
Great looking bike, won the supersport shoot out last year..

So not what i thought id end up with, but mare than happy :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices