Skip to content

Riding & events Module 1 test - it's extremely unsafe Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Riding & events > Riding Skills > Module 1 test - it's extremely unsafe

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Dave b  says:

Module 1 test - it's extremely unsafe

I too have recently taken my Module 1 test and I was failed for doing 49kph through the speed trap, although I completed a 62 kph emergency stop. I had completed all other skills without fault. It felt extremely unsafe. I think they should allow 10% margin for error as allowed under construction and use regs for speedos in Europe.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (22 July 2010 15:33)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gadgetmandb

Jul 10

gadgetmandb says:

i have now managed to pass my part 1 by closing my eyes and going for it, 62kph on swerve and e stop .........  V E R Y             S C A R Y.

Reply to this Topic
daleb1981

Jul 10

daleb1981 says:

I have just recently passed my module 1,  and I must admit I was a bit cautious at first after hearing all about the swerve test.  My instructor made me practice on a small road on an industrial estate and I found it quite difficult to build up enough speed before I ran out of road.  When we finally moved to the test center,  The HUGE area given for the test and the MASSIVE run off made it extremely easy.

I dont want to sound harsh,  but if you cant manage the swerve test in those conditions,  your going to have some serious problems when your out on the road and something pulls out infront of you.

Although I did find it easier to hit the speed trap at a bit of an angle,  almost making it a 30mph left turn. If that makes it easier for anyone.

Reply to this Topic
peterk9805

Jul 10

peterk9805 says:

Mod 1 test

Have read the comments with interest as for myself ,bought a 125cc bike  just over a year ago after obviously passing CBT course . for the last 40 years have driven cars was a Bus driver have a LGV2 License,for the last 6 years before my retirement i was driving fire engines after passing an EFAD course ( Emergency Fire Advance Driving Course ) so I think I`ve maybe got some idea about driving ,anyways decided not to take any courses until i could stay on the thing(bike) which was entertaining to all my mates ( and me on accasion)anyways penny dropped after about 600 miles, have driven about 2500 miles so far --which comes to the reason for my comments. I decided to take a course with a recommended instructor who booked my Mod1 and Mod 2 on same day had a 4 day course which cost me £650 pounds,the instructor was brilliant he worked my guts out was knackered after the 3 days training got to the centre to take my Mod 1 and like many, failed my mod 1 on the swerve test ,the examiner obviously said to me sorry you failed, no problem ,but my problem is how dangerous that swerve test is ,believe me  I practiced that swerve for hours,for me the most unnatural thing for me to do ,always told if ever you were in that position in any vehicle you should`nt have a license anyways . The point I`m trying to make is the fact i can take the test again but gonna cost £100 plus to take it with instructor fees feels like a bit of a con to me could just book it up personnally but where can i practice without getting nicked for dangerous driving by some Police Officer ,can uderstand taking a driving test as in any vehicle but this just seems like another way to fleece the public I know it has to be strict, having scraped up many Bikers of the road in my career on the fire brigade but there must be a cheaper way --As for me quite happy riding about with my L plates think its quite funny at my age will take cbt again after 2 years

Stupid thing is had to swerve out of the way of a car on a country lane quite recently ,just did it no problem 30mph--Suggest that maybe they could give you more leaway somehow, and have a word with training schools because its all too expensive .

Hope this all makes sense -peterk9805

Reply to this Topic
lawrenson

Aug 02

lawrenson says:

Mod 1

Firstly, I should say I'm a motorcycle instructor and take 4-6 people to test each week. To say this test is dangerous is, in my opinion, incorrect. If you have the right training and preparation i.e. gradually building up speed when you train, this manoeuvre is very straightforward. Frankly, if you cannot carry out a very minor swerve at 32 mph, or an emergency stop at the same speed, then I would question whether you should be on the road. I have not had any serious problems during the test, or during training. Far from being a stitch-up for schools to earn more money, which one post suggested, the fact is schools are, for the most part, struggling to cope with the very much reduced number of people taking the motorcycle test since the introduction of Mod 1&2 last year. It would be better for the schools, to revert to the old test, however, the riding quality of those passing would diminish, as the slow riding elements, in particular, result in more competent riders.

Reply to this Topic
votejc

Jul 10

votejc says:

Mod 1

I have had this same debate countless times over the last three months as I have gone through the Mod one test and my DAS training. I absolutely agree with the sentiments of Lawrenson below. Having only been riding bikes for the last 8 months or so I feel that my viewpoint on these test is a valid one. Without a doubt the new testing system is a pain in the arse with the extra expense and time taken, which in turn discourages people from getting on and riding motorbikes which is ultimately bad for us all. However, it must produce safer bikers due to the higher standards required to pass the test and gain your license. Look, I am not Valentino Rossi but frankly the swerve test is not a difficult manoeuvre at 32mph, neither is the emergency stop. As Lawrenson says below "if you cannot carry out a very minor swerve at 32 mph, or an emergency stop at the same speed, then I would question whether you should be on the road."

Spot on.

Reply to this Topic
blacksidedown

Aug 10

Mod 1

I've only been riding for about 12 months, and until the CBT had never sat on a bike.  I bought a 125, and shortly afterwards did the theory test and then rode all winds & weathers (apart from the snow & ice!)

With all the scare stories read in MCN I had been putting off doing the test, but then had a chat with a local instructor and we discussed the type of riding I'd been doing etc and we decided that I'd be OK to sign up for their training & test.  I decided to do the DAS test.

I was still dreading the Mod 1 test, but as mentioned, the area is huge and well laid out.  OK, whether it's entirely representative of real life situations is debatable, but I could debate it all I want - if I want a licence I have to do it.

The hazard avoidance/swerve test went well and was far easier than I'd imagined - I really didn't need to worry.  It really isn't difficult & if you can't do this type of manoeuvre you probably shouldn't be on the roads

I presume Dave b had failed to reach the speed twice, or there was some other fault, as if you don't make the speed the first time, you're given a second go at it.

If you're ready for the test, and have put in some work beforehand, it really isn't a problem.  I suspect many prospective candidates have been put off applying for their Module 1 as a result of these unfounded (in my opinion) scare stories.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
DBF80

Aug 10

DBF80 says:

I passed my mod 1 yesterday in the wet and the swerve was no issue at all. You only need to go 50kph through the speed trap and not through the swerve which is where some people get worried I think. Go through the trap at an angle, shut off the power just after the trap and before the swerve - it is relatively straightforward then, you are swerving no more than a drain cover width in reality.

Reply to this Topic
CaseR6

Aug 10

CaseR6 says:

Mod 1

My Husband bought me my CBT for Christmas, which I did in January last year.

I passed my Module 1  June last year, then went on to pass my Mod 2 in July. There was a lot of hype about the swerve test, and I was concerned, but the test centre was brand new, the layout appeared massive to what I had been practising on (although it was the same size) and I flew thru both the speed trap exercises and passed without any minors, which you can only get for not doing your life savers.

But I was told.... Sorry DBF80.... not to shut power off until the swerve is complete as it unsettles the bike, which then makes the swerve dangerous.

I also did my Direct Access, which meant handling the bike was easier as it was a 500cc, slow control was more stable and it was easier to acheive the speed and settle the bike for the swerve before the speed trap, also look one stage ahead, don't worry about the speed trap look at the cones you have to swerve thru, then look ahead for the box you have to stop in.

It is worth the effort!!!

Reply to this Topic
marcus66

Nov 11

marcus66 says:

swerve test

guys if you get some cones and practice on a quiet area at the week end you dont need to waste your money on lessons, just study on youtube and get the cone distances then you should be fine, Training courses are not needed, 3 of my mates did that and sailed through. Im in to my 30 year mark in february riding over 20 different bikes from R1 to my old cruisers and think the module 1 is a joke. anyway get them cones out and good luck.

Reply to this Topic
uran21

May 14

uran21 says:

I completely agree. I am now trying to pass Mod 1. The problem is that the schools I attended are not in possession of an off road area which would be matching this what the DSA wants. The instructors were taking us to small basketball pitches sometimes with the loose gravel. Simply there was no way to do exactly what DSA wants at the speed of 32 mph unless you don't care about ending up on a fence. Then when we went for the exam we had a completely different reality that's why I failed again and again. I am just wondering how DSA let schools teach in the places which are not up to. I have had no problem with slow riding as this was the only think they could teach me at school. I agree with some smart instructors that are saying - you are not a good rider if you can not stop at 32 miles but come on guys you very often don't have facilities to teach this safety.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices