Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Harley-Davidson 48 First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Harley-Davidson 48

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Harley-Davidson 48

The new Harley-Davidson 48 is supposed to help the American firm attract a new younger fashion-conscious audience. Find a Harley-Davidson for sale The 48 is basically a stripped-back Sportster 1200, with a wide 150-section front tyre. The speedo is mounted flat on the top yoke and the mirrors are mounted under the handlebars to give the 48 a flat-topped look.   Watch the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (23 July 2010 10:50)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

BUELL

The younger bikers are`nt intersted in the old HD style. Thats why Buell was such a great success !

I had a new XB12S in 2007 and loved it to bits !!!!  Would I ever buy a trad Harley ? ..... 100% not ! The only reason I ever went in a Harley dealer in my life was because of the Buells, now Buell have gone, I have no reason to ever enter or spend money in a Harley  shop again.

So Harley killed off Buell and think that tarted up 1200 sporster will replace the hole left by Buell ?? Trouble is at Harley is the fossilised mindset in the factory. A tarted up 1200 sporster isnt going to attract young riders.

BRING BACK BUELL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

younger people like pillion seats? Where the hell is the girl gonna go? Harley you morons. I Also agree with the statement below, im young, i would buy a buell but not a harley.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

I recommend anyone to have a ride on a Buell or better still buy one?

Never laughed so hard riding a bike in my life ! So much FUN ! Everything that trad Harleys arent and never will be.

Buell handling is totally brilliant, not much power but the chassis is awesome  ! ! You need forearms like popeye when your chucking it around...... like you will ! "Buelligan" is spot on.

Ditching  Buell was the worst decision Harley ever made. Thinking a spammed up old sporster is the answer says everything about their decision making ?

Reply to this Topic
merv007

Dec 07

merv007 says:

Harley and younger buyers

some interesting comments below, i agree 100% that killing Buell off was a massive mistake, very short-sited, and i would love to punch the golf playing knob who made the decision. I mean Harley are making big bucks again and there was just no need to close down the Buell operation cause of a few bad years. And yes they would have brought many younger people into Harley dealerships. I really hope Buell lives again - the brand and the bikes are good enough to survive.

I do think HD have taken some steps in the right direction though to attract the younger demographic - the 883 Iron has been a sucess if you look at sales figures, while youtube is full of young guys showing of their blacked-out american metal. Plus the marketing people at HD are very smart, they know the type of younger people who like their bikes, what you might call the alternative, sub-culture of long hair, heavy metal.. etc hence why you see Harley marketed heavily in counter culture shows like Sons of Anarchy (which has massive viewing figures worldwide). So while younger bikers who are just interested in performance figures wont feel the need to go to a Harley dealer you will still see, as i do, plenty of young guys around them who are more interested in the style of the bikes and the rock n roll lifestyle associated with the HD brand. But as mentioned above it could be so much better with Buell and MV Agusta still part of the family.

I think its also worth noting that most bike firms have an issue with ageing customers not just Harley, for example the rider of a GSXR/CBR/YZF/ZXR is almost as likely to be old, fat and grey as a rider of a Sportster these days!

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

I think Harley saw Buell as a threat in the end ?

The dealers treated the Buells as 2nd best and usually pushed them to the back of the showroom. There were never any custom parts or Buell clothing on show and the salesman I bought mine off gave me the details of an independant Buell accessory dealer.

Buell Might  have been a bigger sucess if not for the way dealers treated the bikes.

They have just lost so many customers like me who actually want proper street bikes. The 1970s throwback thing with Harley is not for me.  The cheese has gone a bit stale ?

Reply to this Topic
gizmorun

Feb 10

gizmorun says:

i wanted the lightning you fucking retards at HD that closed down buell. now i'm giving my money to a japanese company for a soulless precision cheaper bike.

Reply to this Topic
gizmorun

Feb 10

gizmorun says:

i wanted the lightning you fucking retards at HD that closed down buell. now i'm giving my money to a japanese company for a soulless precision cheaper bike.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

Tried the Suzuki B.King ? ........Fast as hell, but NO SOUL !

The Buell is one of those very rare bikes that talks to you in your sleep and you can`t get it out of your head. You just have to get it out the garage and rag the tits off it down some country roads. Closest I`ve come to "hedging it" in a good few years, did I slow down ? Did I **** ! lolol

Harley ditching Buell is the biggest motorcycling crime of the century. I will never forgive them !

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Quote ''Younger people like pillion seats? Where the hell is the girl gonna go? Harley you morons. I Also agree with the statement below, im young, i would buy a buell but not a harley'' I have just bought the 48's smaller brother the '883 iron' which im very happy with, I agree its a total rip off that the pillon seat and pegs you have to buy as extras. When you see the pillion seat off the bike its totally cheapo put together which adds to the feeling you have been had twicw over.

Reply to this Topic
jonnyconcrete

Oct 05

i wanted a buel lightning i even had the cash together....what happened ?
the week before i got my ****  together Harley dumped Buell

what did i do ? i bought a ducati monster instead it was either that or a triumph street triple

get with the program harley or get out the kitchen

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices