Skip to content

Discuss This Staff bikes: BMW R1200RT - racking up the mileage First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Staff bikes: BMW R1200RT - racking up the mileage

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Staff bikes: BMW R1200RT - racking up the mileage

Daily use of the BMW R1200RT has seen the mileage cresting 8000 with familiarity allowing me to love the bike and the way it can apparently do almost anything. Fidn a BMW R1200RT for sale People look at the RT and think it’s a big beast. I’ll admit it does look imposing but this bulk evaporates the moment the wheels start rolling. Switch...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (23 July 2010 12:10)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Another 2000 miles and it should quit drinking oil.  Typical BMW.

Reply to this Topic
theop

Apr 07

theop says:

Would be interesting to see how it fares in 2 years and another 25k. Their post 2004 predecessors would easily cost their value or more in warranty claims. Final drives, engines, shoddy quality, rust... From a sample of two post 04 BMWs (an 05 GS, and an 06RT), I was thoroughly dissappointed....

Reply to this Topic
Biker4751

Aug 02

Biker4751 says:

BMW Reliability

I guess I got the last good one, an 04 R1150RSA.  47 thousand miles and nothing but routine maintenance.  The bike sits outside under a cover and not a spot of rust on it.  I'd buy another but BMW has decided that the sport touring market, which they invented, is now mature and not worthy of a dedicated model.  We'll see just how "sporty" the sport version of the new BMW 6 cylinder bike is.  Otherwise, if I had to buy a replacement today I'd think seriously about the revised Triumph Sprint GT. 

Reply to this Topic
simon1hep

Sep 02

simon1hep says:

Just does everything easily

Had one for 4 years and 45,000 miles. Various issues but BMW assisted or sorted them. Not sure about the comments in the final paragraph ... "The only minor gripes are the location of the rear tyre valve (solved with a screw on adaptor), rain blowing under and over the windscreen, the LCD information screen not being bright enough to read in the day, the fuel cap doesn’t stay open and it likes a drink of oil" All bikes should be fitted with a 90 degree valve to allow air lines to be connected ... Rain blowing under and over the screen, you can read a newspaper at motorway speeds behind the screen? '05 model has analogue dials and an automatic back light readable in all conditions ... Fuel cap opens and stays open ... Mine hasn't dropped it's oil level at any point ... My only complaint is there's nothing to complain about - does it all, short runs, fast runs, very long runs, european camping tours, freezing motorway runs ...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices