Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Blake69

Jun 10

Blake69 says:

Noisey engine

Hello just bought a 2001 r1

It's only done 4000 miles and only had the 600 mile service which was done about 6 years ago, since then the bloke who had it just rode it to the mot station went for a quick ride after then put it in the garage. When I bought it had a loud exhaust on it and I didn't really notice the sound of the engine. Since I've had it I put the standard can on and now the engine sounds noisey. Not nasty nosies but I can hear a rattleand lots of wurring Don't know if it's cluch or cam chain? or something else? It doesn't do it when cold only when it's hot and only below 4000 revs. Any ideas?

Blake

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (24 July 2010 11:28)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

sorry to maybe patronise but are u sure it's not your chain?

Reply to this Topic
Blake69

Jun 10

Blake69 says:

nosiey engine

No not the chain, checked the slack and it does it at a stand still on tick over, does the exup valve get lose?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

noise

I would check the cam chain tensioner for freedom also the exup valve to see if it`s been tampered with.The valve should start to move at 4,000 rpm.My low mileage fazer 1000 is not the quitest of engines.

Reply to this Topic
triumphrider600

Feb 09

Hi,

regardless of mileage your oil is 6 years old!! With no way of knowing whether it was semi or fully synthetic or mineral oil. I would change this and the filter for a good quality bike oil semi/fully synthetic and see how she goes then.

Tom

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

oil

I hope you have changed the oil/filter being an experience rider:unsure: Well spotted if not triumphrider600.

Reply to this Topic
gsxr600k5

Oct 09

gsxr600k5 says:

r1

check the exup valve, just had the same problem on a mates 1999 r1. We removed it and found alot of wear causin a rattle at about the same rpm as you. We have now removed and blanked it off, ( if you do this there is a bush on the other side of the collector box that needs to be removed as well) as for the cables we have removed them as well and left the servo connected. He doesnt notice the difference on the road, no flat spots at all.

Reply to this Topic
Blake69

Jun 10

Blake69 says:

nosiey engine

The first thing i did was change the oil, coolant, brake fluid and all the filters. The bloke I bought it from said the oil last for ages nowadays so that was first thing as soon as we got home.

Reply to this Topic
Blake69

Jun 10

Blake69 says:

nosiey engine

When I bought it he had a race end can on it, does this bugger with the exup valve?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices