You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > sat nav power cable

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

andrew1608

Jan 10

andrew1608 says:

sat nav power cable

i have picked up an old garmin for use on the bike, the unit is now attached by the instrument panel but how does anyone charge one of these devices off the bike battery, i don't want a continuous feed off the battery when i don't need it.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (01 August 2010 16:30)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
andrew1608

Jan 10

andrew1608 says:

accessory cable

got the cable in post today, after an hour it's fitted and working, i made a hole in the cubby hole under the seat and it's out of the way in there and the sat nav power cable is tucked away away under the tank but as far away from the engine as possible, just to stop the heat from damaging the cable.

Reply to this Topic
smoto5

Mar 09

smoto5 says:

Excellent!

glad to know you got that all sorted, wise precaution too!!

Looked up the i3 information on the internet, as it's not rated for motorcycles by Garmin, you might find it a good idea to try to isolate it as much as possible from the kind of vibration and shock loading encountered on a bike, and not usually in a car, as well as from the rain and spray, maybe some kind of extra rubber or foam isolating material as well as or instead of the car type mounting. Think others have made up sealed plastic boxes or bag type waterproofing, not sure exactly how waterproof the soft bags for satnavs being sold now might be, maybe ok. good luck! :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
andrew1608

Jan 10

andrew1608 says:

sat nav

i have wrapped insulation tape around the seals, and put proection in place where it sits on the clocks, but being behin the screen it does get some weather protection.

Reply to this Topic
oddjob183882

Jun 10

oddjob183882 says:

Sat' Nav'

I would definately recomend the optimate accessory socket; the cover is waterproof so for ease of access, I've attached it on the right  frame tube just below the tank. My satnav' (Navman S70) works fine inside the Givi universal case (model 850) and is located either on top of the yolks or ontop of my tank bag. Although the Navman has bluetooth, I prefer to use helmet speakers; works fine in all conditions, even though I always ride with earplugs!      

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
trophyian

May 10

trophyian says:

sat nav power cable Nuvi 1490T

I purchased a lead garmin plug to bare end wires similar to this. It worked fine for using my car sat nav on my European trip this summer.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GARMIN-ZUMO-400-500-550-MOTORCYCLE-POWER-CABLE-LEAD-/370437404617?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item563fca37c9

I used it alongside this kit which mounts on the handle bars. I have to say it did a very good job even  when wet. Certainly a lot cheaper than buying the Garmin Zumo.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/So-Easy-Rider-V3-USE-YOUR-CAR-GPS-YOUR-BIKE-/140349298120?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_GPSSystems_GPSSystems&hash=item20ad7855c8

It will be interesting t o see if anyone else found this a good idea!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices