Skip to content

Ask an Expert Tyre pressure?? Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Tyre pressure??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

cooljig

Jul 08

cooljig says:

Tyre pressure??

Hi, I have just brought a Vreg blade and i am waiting for my haynes book to turn up. But while i am waiting i need to check the tyre pressures but i have no way of knowing what they are.they are both michelin pilot sports ( FRONT--130/70 ZR16 ) and the ( REAR--180/55 ZR17 )  If anyone has any ideas i would be grateful.

Cheers and ride safe

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (04 August 2010 16:37)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

pressure

Mostly 36psi front,42psi rear,if the back end bounces like mine 36psi all round.:smile

Reply to this Topic
cooljig

Jul 08

cooljig says:

Thanks Jaffa90

I will try that and see how she feels, thanks again mate.

Ride safe

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tyre pressures for older bikes with moden rubber.

I've been tweaking my '03 R1's suspension lately and I started to wonder whether I should be ignoring the manual's 36/36 advice and going for 36/42 instead, to match the modern tyres. I haven't tried raising the rear tyre pressure yet because it's been a bit damp lately, so not the time to experiment! I note that one tyre manufacturer's website (Continental) suggests that we always run at the maximum pressure, by which I assume they mean the two-up figure (max load).

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

I always run lower

On my old 955i I used to drop the pressures by a few PSI and on my StripleR I run 38 rear and 34 front (42/36 in the manual), on the OE Qualifiers.

The proof of the pudding...

Was pushing on a bit through a great sequence of bends on my commute home and was well lent over on a left-hander and suddenly the bars turned to the left and the front stepped out! :blink::unsure:

Before I could even think about what was going to happen next the front gripped again and the bike recovered. I pulled over and after a few moments to let my heart rate settle down(!) I went back to look at the road and right down the middle was a drizzle of oil from some twats sump... Unbelievable! :mad:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tyre pressures vs suspension settings.

I've been trying to change the suspension settings to get it to ride well and corner properly on my local roads. It's better but I'm still not happy. My other bike is much better. It strikes me that there's no point in tweaking the damping if the tyres are flexing excessively.

My point is that the bike manufacturer's original recommendations and the tyre manufacturer's current  spec no longer match when we fit a modern tyre to an older bike. Mine has stock suspension and settings designed to work with the tyres available in 2003, at 36psi front/36psi rear. If more modern tyre construction relies on a rear pressure of 42psi to get the same profile and sidewall stiffness then running them at 36psi is like having a flat tyre. And that's the feeling I'm getting.

I suspect that lowered pressures are not intended to achieve a larger contact patch, contrary to what you often hear. The track riders only do that because they anticipate increased tyre temperatures compared to road riding. Once they're fully warmed up they're back to the same pressure as a road rider, meaning that the profile, contact patch and sidewall stiffness is correct.

Ths is all just speculation, you understand! I'm going to put the rear up to 40psi and see how that feels. Then maybe tweak the suspension back the other way again.

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

tyre makers advice

inflate your tyres to the pressure the maker of the tyre recomends.

tyre construction changes all the time and companies test these tyres extensively.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

2003 R1 pressures.

Yep, I have to say I've found that 36/42 on modern tyres feels better to me than the 36/36 recommended in the '03 R1's manual. Still tweaking though.

Reply to this Topic
keats

Sep 11

keats says:

Tyre Pressure

Just bought an AJS Regal Raptor 125. What are correct tyre pressures please?

Reply to this Topic
direct

Dec 11

direct says:

Motorcycle Tyre Pressure Database

http://www.drivegreen.com/Motorcycle_Tire_Pressure.htm

Or read on the label on chain cover

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale