Skip to content

Discuss This Can you get superbikes for 600 money? First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Can you get superbikes for 600 money?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Adam Child  says:

Can you get superbikes for 600 money?

Fancy a zero-mileage 1000 for less than the price of an R6? There are a host of unregistered 1000 superbikes out there available for the price of a new 600. But can you get true superbike performance for 600s money? The answer is a resounding 'yes' - if you're prepared to compromise a little. With a bit of bit of digging we found...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (05 August 2010 12:11)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
markfireblade

Aug 02

Gixer 1000K4 - ultimate 1000cc sports bike. They have all been irrelevant anyway on modern UK roads, let be honest. The amount of sports bikes I see being tooled around at bike meet events, and race park is laughable. Virgin knee sliders? - why bother wearing them then? Real life is gradually taking over and the UK's fixation with the newest Japanese sportsbikes that have been built to satisfy racing demands. The latest crop of 1000cc bikes were built to be ridden way beyond most owners ability, or the standard of the most roads they are ridden on. Take them on a trackday (if you dare) and be soundly trounced by the TD regular on his sorted 600/750 almost everywhere apart from Snetterton or the Nurburgring! As for the bikes in the article. Yes almost "classics" great bikes that will still do the business even in these modern times where it seems we can't do without traction control , anti wheelie, abs or a myriad of hi tech gizmo's without (probably) killing ourselves.. How did we survive this long ?! ;) but £7.5k for an old bike that will as soon as you buy it be worth £2k? I don't think so!

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Dunno,

I'm no professional racer, but the more modern 1000cc sports bikes like the current fireblade are noticeably easier to ride then the 2001 model shown, It's true that average joe's can't use the majority of the power, but the more modern stuff does offer a noticeable advantage it usability even to an average rider, coupled with the horrendous depreciation these bikes will suffer (and they will suffer, if it were an SP2 or the like it would be worth it as they are relatively rare and very desirable but RRY/RR1 blades are ten a penny) would leave me opting to throw £7000 at a low mileage RR7 or RR8 instead. As for the 'ultimate 1000cc sports bike' - the K4 doesn't cut the mustard for me, would have to be the RR8/9 Fireblade, but for road riding the GSXR750K6 is still by far the best sportbike I've ever ridden.

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Padgetts

Old man Padgetts been doing this forever. When I started riding back in the mid 70's he was selling new YR5 350 Yams at the same price as then new RD250'S.

Last time I went in his shops, it's a treasure trove of old (new) bikes. New Z13 Kwaks, GSXR 750 Slabbies, Knock knock new VF750's, the list goes on. He's no fool and has built a small empire from providing what people want.

Spotty teens who wanted a new GPZ900 in their teens can now have one in their mid 30's. 

Good business sense or taking punters for a ride?

Reply to this Topic
RealMeanMachine

Jan 10

Sorry whats the question, can you get old plunder cheap? of course you can!

If you want an old bike, old technologhy then yes you can find good examples.

I saw an old 99 Mondeo the other day very cheap but i dont reckon it is as good  good as a new one.

Reply to this Topic
evilamnesiac

Oct 05

evilamnesiac says:

Norris

..Rumour has it that he probably still has an old YPVS in the crate! Occasionally he seems to roll out some long forgotten classic 'brand new', I'd love to have a snoop round his warehouse! I imagine its a bit like the warehouse at the end of 'Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark', just piled high with new RC45's, VTR SP2's etc.... I wonder if he has 'Top Men' working on them :)

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

evilamnesiac

He's probably got new/old stock of practically every Jap model from the last 30 plus years tucked away somewhere. Its not that long ago he had brand new 350 LC's in alongside GT380's. He's had a new Honda CD175 up in the window since at least 1975.

Talked to him a few weeks back, he's mellowed with age, but still trying to push me to buy something all the time I was chatting.

Only ever bought one bike from them(CB750) and that broke down quarter of a mile from the shop. Racings their real passion.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices