Skip to content

Discuss This First big bike test - MCN wants your views First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > First big bike test - MCN wants your views

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

First big bike test - MCN wants your views

What do you look for in your first big bike? Is it a smooth engine or perhaps a low seat height? Maybe it just needs to be at the right price. MCN will be testing a selection of naked bikes and we want to know what new riders look for in their first big bike. The test will involve a Kawasaki ER-6N,...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (05 August 2010 14:32)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
rumbleg

Jan 05

rumbleg says:

first big bike

HMMM...what was the reason..it was big it had the power and I had just got divorced so I had cash..98' triumph sprint called Monica...the most comfortable bike I ever owned.. went everywhere with it. to the shops and round Europe.. since I sold it I have been searching for another that is as comfortable on long distances.....no joy...Not even the GS I now have can keep my backside from going numb very quickly..

Reply to this Topic
spikeccx

Apr 09

spikeccx says:

first big bike

I passed my test when I was 18 now 46 lol , had a string of bikes from being 12 was banned for 3 months at 15 for pulling wheelies down deansgate manchester . Gave up bikes when my son was born , well I was nuts on a bike and was not fair to leave him fartherless (knew I was well over due for a big one) last bike was a gsx250 with a sneaky 400 in it , you could not tell it had 2 extra cooling fins and that was it!. So first big bike after my divorce (same old story) a mate of mine talked me into useing his bike for a week coz my car was off the road in the garage and it was about 100mile trip every day the insurance was a bit of a smack but what the hell . The bike was a revolation it took me no time and it all came floding back but scared the shit out of me them hiyabushas are just far TOO much it was an original unrestricted lightly tuned by holeshot loverly big misile (want one now for 2 up rideing) , after the week on that went straight to the bike shop and got a sv650s great bike had it 12 months and got a sv1000s anerversry , the one that look like gsxr went round europe on that 8000 miles in 16 days with 3 mates BRILL . I now have a 2001 R1 love IT, no silly fuel injection (the sv1000 was a pig for that) Had a go on them all but went for the R1 best blend of power , comfort (it fits ME) and handeling once you learn HOW lol (after 3 crashes) and 2 R1s BEST first bike HAS to be the ER6 then sv650 the ER has the edge and the new one is better! My mate has the ER6n and on a twisty road its hard work to keep up on a R1 !! he uses and abuses it every day in all wethers even did a cat and fiddel run on Xmas day on it!! , Yes in 2ft of snow any one who dont belive me got the photos , I dident go coz he is NUTS , sorry for the speeling LOL ,, spikeccx

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

first big bike

I got a G Reg ZZR600 as my first big bike.  Don't know why, but it's what I'd always wanted for some reason.  I loved it.  Even toured a bit of France on it.  Sold it to my brother eventually so it became his first big bike too.

Reply to this Topic
martin148

May 09

martin148 says:

First Big Bike

Passed my test last May at the ripe old age of 36.

I rode for a year before I passed my test on a Varedero 125 and have to say it was a great introduction and the size of the thing made a bigger bike less intimidating.

My first proper big bike was an FZ6 Fazer, very revvy and needed a bit of finesse on the clutch control (good way to learn I suppose), but the lack of power low down meant it was less likely to spit me off if I made a mistake.

Picked up about 6 weeks ago my new Street Triple R, man what a bike, I can't see why you would want a thou' , that said if they ever make an 800??

If I was looking now it would be; Seat height less than 800mm, reasonably lightweight / well balanced, decent amount of power to stop me getting bored after a few months. Looking at the current market, probably a Yamaha XJ6.

Reply to this Topic
muzzauk

Aug 10

muzzauk says:

Passed my test in January coming from a CBR125

1st big bike is an R6 2004 amazing bike love it

Reply to this Topic
kl595

Nov 03

kl595 says:

martin148

You were saying about a Street Triple R and hoping for an 800, why don't you get the speed triple 1050? Awesome bike. Seat height is 815mm but a few pies will squash that down a bit. Anyway, I'm getting away from the first big bike question. Sorry folks.

Reply to this Topic
colliedog

Jul 10

colliedog says:

Oddball?

I'd have loved a Street Triple, but I looked for a 2006-year used 600.  I checked out the ER-6, Versys, Divvy / XJ6, Bandit and Fazer, as well as a superb-condition SV S.

My instructor pointed out the GSR, so I tried one.  It's pretty light to manoeuvre, has enough poke to have some fun as a new rider and I think looks tidy too (if you like naked bikes).  It's now in my garage!

Looks are a bit marmite, but seat height and bar height are both great - I'm 5' 10".  It's relatively cheap to insure, too.

Reply to this Topic
Chris14

Mar 09

Chris14 says:

1st Big Bike

I passed me text in february, and a week after i went and bought a brand new SV650 Sport (i got a good deal)
What i looked for was something that was novice friendly, took well to restriction, handled well enough to give me confidence, was light and easy to manouver, i could insure, was the right price, but for me i just fell in love the SV always have, dont know why, but i always liked em.
So in conclusion, inspires something in you, you can make you own, is forgiving of novice mistakes, wont bore you when youre more used to it and finally is wallet friendlly.

Reply to this Topic
gjw1992

Dec 05

gjw1992 says:

CB900

After a  six year break from getting rid of my sixteener special - an ss50, I got a suzi TS250ER. Bright yellow just like RMs and RLs... Passed the test, graduated to a gsx400 because it seemed a 'nice' upgrade.

But the first big bike was a HondaCB900 - because I'd lusted after one (q-bike styling is great imo!), and Carnell's happened to be selling a load of previous year model cb900s at an enormous discount. So no option.

Good bike. Went to the south of France twice on it. And I think today a big-bore all rounder still makes sense. Generally easier to ride than mid-size higher reving bikes, more comfort on big mileages, and get the riding experience in before going off to a sports bike that does need more skill.

Reply to this Topic
josh3446

May 09

josh3446 says:

Mod 2 on Aug 31st...

I've been thrashing my YBR125 around London for a year and then on the coastal roads of Pembrokeshire for the past 8 months and am desperate to get my first big bike this Autumn. The 125 struggles on the A roads, dropping to 40 up the hills and unable to pass those cars who cruise at 50! My Mod 2 is on August 31st and once I pass I've got my eye on a FZ6 Fazer or similar for the daily commute and longer UK-wide and European trips. Although without being able to test loads of bikes it's really hard for a new rider to know what's going suit. I reckon I'm after a second hand bike with half fairing, good wind protection and that won't rust up in the sea air. Any ideas?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle