You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > 33BHP restriction help

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JAult

Aug 10

JAult says:

33BHP restriction help

More progress towards my kawasaki gpz 400r has been made but researching restrictions online means im totally confused!

I've heard of 2 things, restrictions from FI international which look to be a massive con especially when looking at reviews, price and how it ruins fuel economy acceleration etc.

The 2nd was dyno, i dont really understand this but from what other sources ive been on have said, its possible to restrict it via a dyno? (is this basicly like a service like on a car to recover lost bhp?)

I called my local Dyno place in malton, http://www.dynobike.co.uk/ and they said that they cant restrict it via dyno but can restrict it with restrictors which he said will cost £140 to buy in or make himself with an additional £40 fitting cost which tbh sound like bull!

I read a review from this very site (which did help a lot) saying that you dont need a certificate at all as the crash inspector will find if its been fitted or not. Thanks in advance, im sure im not the only one in need of answers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (06 August 2010 12:16)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

around £200

around £200 is not far off for a kit inc. fitting.

who ever you get to fit it make sure they issue you with some paperwork confirming the bike meets the required restriction.

this could be your only defence should the bike ever have to be checked by either the police or ins. co. and be found to exceed the regulations

Reply to this Topic
JAult

Aug 10

JAult says:

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2009/November/nov1309-The-33bhp-certificate-rip-off/

apparently the cert means nothing, got people saying diff things, im just wondering what the cheapest way to get 33bh is

Reply to this Topic
arryace

Apr 10

arryace says:

you are right

there is no requirement to have a certificate but a reciept showing that you paid a company to carry out the work and the work was completed may help in the event of a dispute either with your ins.co. or the police if you ended up in front of a magistrate he would be asking if you made reasonable effort to ensure your bike conformed with the regulations.

what would be even better would be a print out from a dyno you could get one of these for around £20-£30.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

restriction

basically its in you interests to get it restricted, though I agree the prices for it can be steep (nowt to stop you buying a kit and fitting it yourself as far as I know).
Once fitted get it dyno'd - just to verify the power level.

Restriction "certificates" prove nothing other than the machine has been restricted at some point - if you de-restrict it a week later the cert is worthless anyway. Indeed, its not unknown for a de-restricted bike to be sold on with a restriction certificate.

If there is any doubt on the power level, a clued up plod / insurance assessor will know what he's looking for.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
SuperMotoNut

Jul 10

SuperMotoNut says:

Cheap restrictors

these guys do cheap restrictors to fit yourself if you wanted to www.cheap33bhprestrictorkits.com

Reply to this Topic
CBRJGWRR

Aug 11

CBRJGWRR says:

33bhp restriction

Your paying for the paperwork really (Anyone can punch a hole in a metal plate and stick in the exhaust)

The cheap option is hire a dyno and use trial and error to get the thing down to 33bhp.

Then use the dyno readout as your certificate.

At time of writing there is no standard set out for a certificate saying its restricted.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Just a thought

This was written over two years ago, the restriction period will be spent now! 

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

6th August 2010

is less than 2 years ago... Still, someone resurrected a pretty old old post though.

Old post, new thought: if you do anything other than fit an official OEM recognised AlphaTechnik kit (as supplied by FI, dealers, and cheap...), could your insurers claim you'd invalidated their cover if you hadn't declared you unofficial mod?

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

cert & sticker

Had my bike restricted with F1 kit was £210 fitted, it has a cert which I keep under my seat and there is a sticker that has been put on the bike on top of another one saying the BHP restriction. I agree you could go out and have it taken off again but that is not straight forward on the BMW or cheap. Will prob be trading the bike in when my 2 yrs is up so hopefully wont need to do it myself. Mind you if it makes big difference to trade in price may well have it taken out. Good luck with deciding which way to go.

Reply to this Topic
wilful

Apr 11

wilful says:

opps

Hadn't picked up on the age of this post....:lol:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN