Skip to content

Where to Ride Buy a track bike or rent a track bike? Track Days

You are in... Forums > Where to Ride > Track Days > Buy a track bike or rent a track bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gavinwalsh

Oct 08

gavinwalsh says:

Buy a track bike or rent a track bike?

Hi all,

I've just got back from doing a track day at Cadwell Park.  I took my FZ6 up there and had a blast.  I even managed to get my knee down for the first time, so I was well chuffed.

Anyway, I wanted to get your advice.  I like the idea of getting a track bike, obviously just for track use but I wanted to know about costs and whether it would be worth it in the long run?  I've seen track bikes go on ebay from £2000 upwards and some of them don't look half bad.  But I'm not the most gifted when it comes to the mechanical side of things, is there a lot of work that goes into maintaining a track bike? I know you have to change the oil, air filters and tyres - could this be done at the local dealers or will I get robbed everytime?

On the other hand, would it be easier for me just to rent a bike each time and not have to worry about tyres, oil, etc?

I don't imagine I'll be doing a massive amount of track days over the next few years, maybe 3-4 a year before my missus wants to have a kid!

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,

Gav

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 August 2010 13:32)

Post a message in Track Days

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
otei85

Aug 10

otei85 says:

Track bikes

Hey Gav,

Surprised by the lack of replies on here.

For 2k you will find a bike that will satisfy your needs entirely. I'd suggest that you don't buy something too overboard. An SV 650 or the like would make a very decent first bike for a track machine. Reliable, easy to use and not likely to fail you.

The small ammount of mileage that you would do on 4 trackdays a year would only require minimum maintenance. An oil and filter change at the end of the year and maybe valve clearances each 2 years?

Just checking everything is tight and as it should be before each session is far more important. Vibrations etc have a habit of lossening bits. You make your own luck by checking ,checking and then checking again.

Hope that helps :)

Reply to this Topic
skippytoo

May 08

skippytoo says:

Track Bike

Hi, I used to use my road bike too, but a couple of years ago I bought a cbr 98plate. I aint looked back,I paid £1100 for it and it came with spare wets on wheels. I am doing 4/5 track days a year. Just keep a check on oil and all nuts and bolts service after two track days. Makes for more fun as you wont be so worried about dropping it, as much! Fit crash bungs put some sticky rubber on it and have a blast. Thats what I do.

Skippy.

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

IMHO

FWIW, I just use my road bike and, TBH, it's always the track-bike guys that end up in the kitty-litter, getting sessions red flagged.

Use your road bike - 'Reclaim Our Track Days' - you'll be less likely to crash... :winkie::lol:

Reply to this Topic
skippytoo

May 08

skippytoo says:

no we dont

Vinnie, your so so wrong. The riders that end up in kitty litter are all types of rider. I was at Donington couple weeks ago and the riders that brought sessions to an end where all road bikes. No serious damage to bikes or riders, but the point is this, track only bikes have better tyres suspension and a more relaxed rider. Road bike riders are more nervous about dropping there pride and joy and usally run out of talent before tarmac. I know I was one of them, though I never dropped it. Since I got my track only bike my riding and confidence have grown 100%. So get a track bike and see where it takes you.

Skippy

Reply to this Topic
skippytoo

May 08

skippytoo says:

no we dont

Vinnie, your so so wrong. The riders that end up in kitty litter are all types of rider. I was at Donington couple weeks ago and the riders that brought sessions to an end where all road bikes. No serious damage to bikes or riders, but the point is this, track only bikes have better tyres suspension and a more relaxed rider. Road bike riders are more nervous about dropping there pride and joy and usally run out of talent before tarmac. I know I was one of them, though I never dropped it. Since I got my track only bike my riding and confidence have grown 100%. So get a track bike and see where it takes you.

Skippy

Reply to this Topic
v1nn1e

Jan 09

v1nn1e says:

Well...

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one :winkie:

For me it's about using a lot more of my bike's performance than can be legally or safely used on the road, otherwise it'll never get really opened up!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices