Skip to content

General Buy a track bike or rent a track bike? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Buy a track bike or rent a track bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gavinwalsh

Oct 08

gavinwalsh says:

Buy a track bike or rent a track bike?

Hi all,

Posted this in the trackday section, but I wasn't getting any response...

I've just got back from doing a track day at Cadwell Park.  I took my FZ6 up there and had a blast.  I even managed to get my knee down for the first time, so I was well chuffed.

Anyway, I wanted to get your advice.  I like the idea of getting a track bike, obviously just for track use but I wanted to know about costs and whether it would be worth it in the long run?  I've seen track bikes go on ebay from £2000 upwards and some of them don't look half bad.  But I'm not the most gifted when it comes to the mechanical side of things, is there a lot of work that goes into maintaining a track bike? I know you have to change the oil, air filters and tyres - could this be done at the local dealers or will I get robbed everytime?

On the other hand, would it be easier for me just to rent a bike each time and not have to worry about tyres, oil, etc?

I don't imagine I'll be doing a massive amount of track days over the next few years, maybe 3-4 a year before my missus wants to have a kid!

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,

Gav

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 August 2010 14:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SheffieldSteel

Feb 09

When me mate goes driftin at the tracks

Theres allways a tyre van or two, they change the tyres for £5. It would cost you a fortune to change them at a tyre shop everytime and would make it too expensive. Let alone lettin em service it aswell.

As for the filters, oil and chain, cant ya get a mate to show ya how to do it?? It really is easy and beedsplitter for ya tyres are about £30.

Sorry its not about bike track days. Never done one, but we do all the work on the car, no paying anyone cos that takes the cash out of your racing and upgrading purse.

Personnaly I think Id buy one, rather than rent, get used to your machine not different ones each time ya race, start with road-bike, an old 600 or a Blade and add to the bike over time to save shellin out loads up front for summat that bin thrashed to bits and dies on ya first outing.

SS

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

Basically....

Get one :tongue:

bikes arent cheap anyway... and proper track use and a genuine attitude mean your going for performance only stuff... so dont expect anything of any worth to be cheap (BUT ALWAYS keep an eye out for a bargain or 3 :winkie:)

look to spend between £1500-4000 for a bike, the higher the price, usually the newer, and more power and better spec'd machine is.

Dont get taken in by people listing every modification down to 2 titanium bolts holding a brake reservoir cap... bolt-ons are worth a fraction of the retail after use so buy the bike... and if theres a lot to choose from, go for the better spec. (but dont haggle too hard :tongue:)

AFTER PURCHASE... its always a good idea to sent it to a mechie for a valve clearance and any "major service" requirements as per the hand book. MoT stuff isnt a worry so dont worry, usually your looking at suspension, engine, oils/ fluids and sometimes fuel injection/ carbs as common problems which are never cheap, but cost a whole lot more when you have a seizure doing 170 down a straight.

oh yeah... dont stop the trackday when you get a baby :tongue: no better cool-dad-points than "eeyyy mah dad goes waycin' 'ee duz!"

:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

sieger

i'll remember that  one mate in about6 months time lmao

Reply to this Topic
SiegerMotorsports

Sep 09

Hahaha

Laugh all you want lucas :tongue:

as soon as i get me a job im gettin a loan and gonna have a bash at racing :biggrin:

something with a 600 would do me :tongue:

:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

sieger

wasnt llaughing at you fiance is 3 months pregnant. Hope you get to do it mate because seems like you want to do it as bad as me lol Good luck

Reply to this Topic
used2bfast

Aug 07

used2bfast says:

I know

where there is a cheap zx6 make agood track bike. PM me if you want any info

Reply to this Topic
lucas_yamaha

Jul 08

lucas_yamaha says:

just

funds unfortunately u2bf