Skip to content

General Buy a track bike or rent a track bike? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Buy a track bike or rent a track bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

gavinwalsh

Oct 08

gavinwalsh says:

Buy a track bike or rent a track bike?

Hi all,

Posted this in the trackday section, but I wasn't getting any response...

I've just got back from doing a track day at Cadwell Park.  I took my FZ6 up there and had a blast.  I even managed to get my knee down for the first time, so I was well chuffed.

Anyway, I wanted to get your advice.  I like the idea of getting a track bike, obviously just for track use but I wanted to know about costs and whether it would be worth it in the long run?  I've seen track bikes go on ebay from £2000 upwards and some of them don't look half bad.  But I'm not the most gifted when it comes to the mechanical side of things, is there a lot of work that goes into maintaining a track bike? I know you have to change the oil, air filters and tyres - could this be done at the local dealers or will I get robbed everytime?

On the other hand, would it be easier for me just to rent a bike each time and not have to worry about tyres, oil, etc?

I don't imagine I'll be doing a massive amount of track days over the next few years, maybe 3-4 a year before my missus wants to have a kid!

Any advice would be great!

Cheers,

Gav

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 August 2010 14:04)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
David Haydock

Dec 02

Track Bike

http://www.motoforum.net/index.php?showforum=13

Plenty to choose from on this link.

Go for something that has as standard an engine as possible, that way with only 3 or 4 track days a year you will have sod all maintenance to do.  And don't forget it is suspension set up and your ability that makes you go fast, NOT bhp.

Don't overlook the lesser powered bikes such as 400s and MiniTwins (SV650s) because they are likely to have well set up suspension which means you will learn more, go around corners quickly, and embarrass the litre boys:tongue:

David

ps....kids love the whole race scene and it is a great environment for them.  My daughter grew up around the race paddocks and loves her weekends with her 'race' buddies.

Reply to this Topic
gavinwalsh

Oct 08

gavinwalsh says:

Thanks!

Congrats Lucas, hope you're looking forward to all those sleepless nights! :wacko:

Cheers for all the advice fellas!  I'll keep looking and letting know what I get.

Gav

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices