You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > touring usa

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

skippytoo

May 08

skippytoo says:

touring usa

Hello, I am thinking of doing a short tour of the usa.2/3 weeks. I want to hire a harley but they want stupid money. anyone have ideas/tips contacts? I want to go to las vegas/ grand canyon area.And I want to camp. any help or advice would be handy. this is for 2011 summer.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (09 August 2010 20:18)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ducatiboy1967

Feb 08

try

Cruise America

Mojave desert area I wouldn't advise camping as the temp in the day is so high and at night will freeze your codlings off.  2/3 weeks.  I picked up my ride in Vancouver (Cruise Canada) and rode across Washington State, Montana, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Utah, Nevada and Portland (using 101) in four weeks.  There are loads of Camp Grounds of America (google it) located at scenic locations.  Cheap(ish) I opt for the log cabin I stayed in rather than a tent tho.  Hope this help and drop me a line if you want more deatils

Reply to this Topic
Collygser

Mar 09

Collygser says:

Touring USA

Myself and a mate are just back from California, taking in Laguna Seca Moto GP and hiring Harleys to ride Highway 1 to LA. We hired Harleys from Motohavan Rentals, Novato, 20mls north of San Francisco. Total cost for 2 weeks $2,200 incl Insurance. Free clothing and Helmet. Thoroughly recommend them, contact John or Deborah Harper. Would say the likes of Death Valley, Grand Canyon and Vegas too hot mid summer, we were advised against it. I loved it so much Im going to spend the winter there.

Attached images:

Reply to this Topic
mrmarklin

Apr 10

mrmarklin says:

Death Valley etc.

Camping would be very tough due to the heat.  Nothing like it in Britain.  Air conditioned motel rooms are cheap.  Try the Super 8 chain.  Not fancy, but fairly consistent.

Harleys are the way to go however, lots of luggage space, and easy riding.

Reply to this Topic
tamyam

Aug 10

tamyam says:

USA Motorcycle Tour 2011

I would try a company called Toursareus Motorcycle Events they are the experts in the USA but they are based in the UK as I went on a tour with them called Best of the West check them out on there web site at www.toursareus.co.uk ask for Graham Saunders he is very good, I'm also going to Morocco with them in March 2011 cant wait.

Reply to this Topic
SlowLearner

Feb 10

SlowLearner says:

Depends on the time of year...

The heat can be oppressive in Summer.  Having lived in the US for many years, and toured extensively, I'd recommend KOA (Kampground Of Amerika) sites for your stays.  You can get cabins if you don't want to take tents with you.  It's a heck of a lot safer than some cheap motel, particularly if you don't want the bike stolen.

Cabins are basic but comfortable, better than a tent.  You can use the showers etc., and they're always clean and to a high standard.  They sell all the basics you need for cooking, if you're not going to the local town to eat out.  Eating out in the US is comparable in cost to home cooking - very, very cheap compared with the UK.  You can also book your cabin in advance with KOA sites.

Reply to this Topic
skippytoo

May 08

skippytoo says:

Morocco

Hi, thanks for the advice. I went to Morocco last year on my own. Was on a vtr firestorm. A little advice for you. Firstly its great, really amazing sights. But The drivers are the worst I have ever come across. Very dodgy overtakes. Just keep your wits about you. As your guided, you will go to some great places. The roads are ok but again keep an eye for pot holes. Fuel is no problem. Food is great and the markets ...... unreal. I have to go back one day but on a different bike. Proper tourer. Take some cheap pens and colouring pencils and little pads to give to the children, they will love you. A humble experience, considering the stuff my kids have got. Have a great time and enjoy the food and other extras Morocco is known for!

Skippy.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices