Skip to content

Ask an Expert Suzuki Bandit 600 starting and running problems Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Suzuki Bandit 600 starting and running problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

parsman

Aug 10

parsman says:

Suzuki Bandit 600 starting and running problems

I need a few pointers on problems with my Bandit. I am an everyday commuter and the bike is kept in a large wooden shed overnight. Two weeks ago I left for holiday and had used the bike up till then. I tried to start on my return but the battery seemed flat or not strong enough even though the lights on the bike were strong. I charged overnight and tried again. It started on the manual choke and ran for a few minutes. I left it on choke running about 2000revs. It just died.

I just repeated this again tonight but could not get it started. The starter solenoid was all i heard. I tried to jump push with no joy so got a jump from my car. Again it started and i manually tried to control the choke keeping it around 2000 revs again. I walked off thinking it was okay and it died again refusing to immediately start.  When it was running it sounded lumpy and like it needed to clear itself. I am no mechanic but checked wiring etc and seems ok. Money is tight and I don't want to jump to buying up stuff without needing. Before I proceed further any pointers? Bike been good up till now although not been serviced for a while apart from oil changes which was earlier this year. Battery is about 2 years old. Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (09 August 2010 23:01)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

battery

Welcome parsman,Can you get the voltage reading on the battery?

Reply to this Topic
parsman

Aug 10

parsman says:

battery

Thanks for quick reply but no i don't have a meter unfortunately.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

meter

Multimeters are cheap now and can save you a lot of money having one.You are getting full voltage from your car to start it,a meter can read your bikes voltage and charging system and any leakages,also it can check individual components.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

From

what you have posted I would think that the battery is no longer holding a full charge, (average battery life is two years).

Your other problem is that you have not had / or done a full service, i.e. plugs carbs etc so the engine is not working at its optimum.
Take care of these two issues and you will more than likely solve your problem, which in the long run will save you money.

Reply to this Topic
parsman

Aug 10

parsman says:

service

Thanks for the replies and link will try pick up a meter tomorrow even if only for future use!. Any ideas on a ballpark figure for a full service nowadays at local bike dealers etc? Appreciated.

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

sounds to me

like it could need the carbs balancing and a set of new plugs... have u tried revving the bollocks of it for a bit once u got it started???  shit might have sunk to the bottom of ur tank and is being pulled into the carbs

Reply to this Topic
parsman

Aug 10

parsman says:

Suzuki Bandit 600 starting and running problems

Got plugs, oil and filter today so taking that advice. Will get meter and/or new battery as suspect its a goner. Could anyone tell me if the carb bit is easy to do yourself and what needs done in that respect.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

bandit

Have you a bike battery charger to see if it charges off the bike?If not a voltage reading when/if you get a meter.

Reply to this Topic
ranorthe

Jul 10

ranorthe says:

Don't get carried away

If the bike was fine before you laid it up then the only difference will be the dead battery. Carbs don't go out of balance and plugs don't fail from sitting in a shed for 2 weeks. If the battery is completely goosed it will cause the engine to run unevenly (or cut out) at low revs because the alternator can't provide enough power to keep it topped up. A dead battery can sit there absorbing huge amounts of current.
Fit a new battery and then you can do the other stuff at your leisure. Scientific method mate, if you have a problem with a system change one thing at once, otherwise you'll not know what it was that cured it.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices