General Winter gloves General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Winter gloves

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

Winter gloves

So given the current summer can anyone recommend some decent winter gloves.

<watches float>

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (10 August 2010 14:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

at least

when starting the modern trumpets you dont have 2 hours of warming the plugs, tickling the carbs, turning it to face Meriden, then half an hour praying to Joseph Lucas before leaping on the starter like a crazed baboon. All the while hoping that she is not in one of 'those' moods which will inevitably end in you being launched over the bars with your leg compressed into your armpit. Yes they were so much better built in those days.

The one redeeming factor about the shite brakes was that they didnt go quick enough to warrant anything better.

The crap paint meant that they rusted faster than a Lada.

Face it in the 1950's they were ok but the world passed them by. They were dinosaurs and were out evolved.

If you want a Bonnie style bike to use then why not a modern one with modern reliabilty. If you want a classic showbike then it has to be an original. You cant compare the two.

Even Hardley Fergusson have realised that you have to have a competetive product.

:sunglasses:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
d19yda

Mar 10

d19yda says:

alpinestars drystar

gloves.

I got a set for under 50 bucks and there pretty cosy!

Bit warm in the summer tho:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

If

you had so much trouble starting a British bike then no wonder you hate them, but then it was / is your own fault as a little servicing and you could of had one start as intended. 

Prime the carbs, full choke and one kick on the kick starter, two at most.
As for the rest of your argument, the brakes worked if maintained and you know what you are doing with the bike, but then again there is an old saying, "a bad workman always blames his tools."
As for the finish it was better, as motorcycles were left to the elements.
You say a Bonnie style bike, how do you describe "bonnie style?" 

Reply to this Topic
bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

oh dear smudgy

you really are a luddite. To be honest although I am no stranger to servicing bikes & cars I would rather spend my liesure time riding as opposed to fettling.

The old T140V needed constant attention in fact I seem to remember reading in the owners book that it was necessary to check all nuts & bolts for tightness after every ride. A prime example of Meriden passing the problem of vibration onto the owner rather than resolving the issue. The list goes on but the argument is already won - Triumph made comparatively good bikes in the 50's &60's but were outclassed by more modern equipment, manufacturing techniques etc and went bust.

The new company uses the badge and marques as a marketing tool and fortunately nothing else. They are currently flourishing. Nuff said.

BTW a bonnie style bike would probably mean one of the various bonneville models.

Good attempt, but starting with such an obviously flawed argument made it too easy.

pip pip

<opens keep net>

:biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Well

old bean, you have failed to check your keep net for holes, just like your arguments.

At what point in this debate did I specify decades?

Bonnie style, the clue here is the word style.

The starting procedure of your Triumph shows quite plainly that you were unable to maintain the bike as this is obvious by your own written account.

As for your other comments in your last post you are basically repeating what I have stated, so your smugness does not show you up in a good light.

Packs up tackle and leaves riverbank. 

Reply to this Topic
bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

and yet again

smudgy you blur the argument with speculation and assumption knowing nothing of the bikes service history.

Hard facts, triumph went bust because they refused to meet the market requirements. Technology evolved and whether you like it or not materials and techniques are better now than when triumph were originally in production. Its called progress.

No doubt you will cling to the virtues of mechanical vs electronic ignition and drum brakes etc but lets be honest, modern equipment is better for the purpose that it is designed for. Why is it that there are no jokes about Hondas leaking oil yet the first thing that anyone asks about a trumpet is how much does it leak?

The maintenance argument evaporates when you consider that the same people who you insist were poorly maintianing their trumpets probably did the same later with their rice burners but didnt have problems.

Sorry but logic, common sense and history are on my side on this one.

<gets frying pan ready>

:sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

Paul

It would be interesting to put a 60's bonnie / speed twin against a 600 monster, KTM 690 supermoto / Duke.

Reply to this Topic
Sabrinus Hic

Jul 08

Sabrinus Hic says:

Heated grips mate

You can buy them. Got some the NEC bike show couple of years ago, not expensive and work really well.

They attach with stretchable velcro and the wire is long enough to go between the clocks, under the tank, to the battery pack.

Lovely Jubbley Mate       :sunglasses:

Reply to this Topic
bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

thanks sab

but BigRED already has heated grips.

Pauly there's a lotof older iron out there that would make an interesting proddie race. maybe an old RG500?

Reply to this Topic
bigredsprint

Apr 03

bigredsprint says:

it was indeed

I was just thinking that there are a lot of older machines that would make a grand sight thrashing around the island

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle