General The Myth of Biker Brotherhood General

You are in... Forums > General > General > The Myth of Biker Brotherhood

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

anyonebutmurray

Jan 10

The Myth of Biker Brotherhood

Sunday afternoon and a breakdown in Derbyshire. Terminal problem, so called the excellent Carole Nash Recovery to get me home. Sat at roadside for an hour or so awaiting their arrival and was passed by 20-30 bikes. Not one stopped to ask if I was ok; in fact as an exercise in staring straight ahead to avoid even eye-contact, their behaviour was exemplary!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 August 2010 12:38)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

myth

never passed one yet and ignored them...try taking off the  seat and so it looks likw broke down  you cant always tell but the real all weather biker wont pass you without a thumbs up,,,,just give the thumbs down signal and we will stop

Reply to this Topic
nik77

Feb 09

nik77 says:

I

have had a problem once on a busy main road bike locked up and not moving..one bike and one car stopped both driver and rider helped me move the bike onto the curb..The car driver carriered on his way after i thanked him for the help but the rider stayed until i was going again and i have seen him a few times since and we always wave..

But the most interesting thing was that I was passed by a fire engine they slowed down looked and fuked off even though i had my hazards on and needed help..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
SheffieldSteel

Feb 09

Ive always stopped if Ive seen a bike at the side of the road

Its common descency is it not?

What goes round come around and all that.

Ive ran out if juice and had folks fetch me some. When me gear linkage broke on me old Z750, the first bike to pass stopped to see if I was ok. When we couldnt fix it, he offered to take me pillion to his home where we could weld it up to get me home. Just then another bike stopped, guy fixed me up wi a bit off wire and some pliers and I was off home.

Ive also just stopped to admire the scenary and have a cig, folks go passed wi a thumb up or a wave, some have even turned around to see if they can help.

Bikers are ace man, its a shame others dont follow in our ways.

Me thinks ya just had some stuck-up folks out that day.

Reply to this Topic
Sabrinus Hic

Jul 08

Sabrinus Hic says:

Funny story

I saw some old guy pushing an even older MZ motorbike down a quiet country A road, poor old chap.

Parked me bike up, walked to him, 'Hi need some help...' and he starting speaking I dunno, Polish, Russian or something and was pissed out of his head, I reckon the bike was the only thing holding him up as he walked.

Now, his fuel cap was off, and he pointed to it indicating he is out of petrol, and wait for it.....he started to spark up a smoke leaning on the tank. Now I am as brave as the next men but exit.... stage left....

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

meh

i've had car drivers stop when i've been stoppped at the roadside, just having a break. I've only ever passed a biker when i've been in a rush - otherwise i always stop.  I've stopped before and found the guy was pissed off because he had to take his earphones out to talk to me, but as soon as he found i was checking he was okay he was quite happy. You can't always stop but if you have time then, like me last night stopping for a broken scooterist,byou might save them a long walk.... He really needs to learn to carry a mobile.

Reply to this Topic
jonny68

Mar 09

jonny68 says:

Brotherhood

I have always found fellow bikers to be really friendly . On several ocasions bikes have pulled off the road to check I was ok after pulling of the road for ciggy and flasked coffee.

There are some twats about who overtake you at high speed , giving you a 2 cm safety gap :mad:whether they are trying to empress I don't know but they are bloody dorks.

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

pic snapper

I often stop in laybyes to snap a few pics and get fellow bikers stopping to chat. Never met any yet that were not absolute diamonds. You must have been unlucky mate. The biker brotherhood is alive and well in Wales and the Lakes.

Reply to this Topic
1050boy

Dec 08

1050boy says:

30 bikes

went to ashby folville car n bike mmet on tuesday from colsterworth to melton, nice n twisty, my mate went in too fast to a corner and the back lost grip and slid the bike into the hedge, anyway, within 5 minutes there must have been 30 bikes stopped to see if he was ok and if they could help, he was fine, and his speed triple just needs a new headlight, and gear selector, n crash bung, took about 8 of us to drag it out the ditch:laugh: 

Reply to this Topic
KimLondon

Jan 08

KimLondon says:

I know it sounds ridiculous

but I've been working on behavioural science for a long time and the more people are around the less likely someone is to help.

If you don't believe me check out the case of the murder of Kitty Genovese. Genovese was stabbed to death on a public street in 1964 while thirty-eight onlookers in apartments above the alley where she died did nothing to help her.

Sounds awful doesn't it? All anyone needed to do was pick up the phone but they could all see each other and assumed someone else would call the cops and nobody wanted to be told on the phone "yeah, you're the 20th person to call, get off the phone."

If you are on moderately busy road and you look like you're in trouble then you'll be inundated with bikers who want to help. Most will slow down and make an "eh?" motion and if you don't wave them on will stop to help. I know that's what I do.

But if the road is packed with people nobody want to look like a fool by stopping.

If you don't believe me I'll cite references and experiments but that would mean me looking shit up in books and I can't be arsed unless you really, really want to know.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices