Skip to content

Ask an Expert loud noise when started SV650 Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > loud noise when started SV650

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

frazerish

Mar 10

frazerish says:

loud noise when started SV650

Hi everyone

I recently purchased a SV650 which I cant legally ride yet but I have my Mod 2 booked. 

Basically I have been turning her on to keep the oil and things moving, which I do every 2 days normally however since earlier its been 4 days

Anyway when I turned her on there was a fairly loud, high pitched bang, but she ran fine afterwards. I turned her on and off again and she started up perfectly fine except once where the bang happened again but was nowhere near as loud. 

I ran her up and down the drive in first and I couldn't hear anything wrong but I was just wondering if anyone could give me some information on the matter.

Cheers everyone

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 August 2010 20:03)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
downshift

Feb 10

downshift says:

Frequent starting

It's not good to keep starting up the engine like that with no work, then turn it off again. Idling is bad for engines, it damages the spark plugs, and doesn't do the cylinders any good. You might have had a build up of unburnt fuel through not letting the engine run properly at optimum temperature, which you won't reach unless the engine is under load i.e. not sitting in your garage revving pointlessly!

My advice is leave it alone until you can get it on the road and test the engine properly.

Once every 1 or 2 months is fine to keep the battery topped up.

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

get an optimate

or whatever the battery trickle charger is called.

Keeps the battery charged.

Reply to this Topic
BadD0g

Aug 08

BadD0g says:

SV650

Yea, I wouldn't worry too much about starting it up every so often, as downshift says, once a month should be OK. I'd spend my going over all the exposed bits with ACF50... get a good coating built up ;)

Reply to this Topic
Knightmoves

Mar 09

Knightmoves says:

hiya fazerish

alternatively, make yourself someones bestest friend ever in the world , by filling your bike full to the brim with Saudi Arabia's finest then asking someone to ride it ( lets say, every sunday afternoon )and giving it a good old tanking around the local twisties at your expence , untill the time you are qualified to do so yourself , im sure there will be no end of offers .

ps . make sure the person is insured and qualified 1st

judith x:smile

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Backfire.

No one has said it yet but what you've described is a backfire, ie: ignition of a little unburnt fuel  which was left in the exhaust after your previous cold (ie: rich) start. The occasional one doesn't do any harm. Always makes me chuckle (and jump) anyway.

Reply to this Topic
frazerish

Mar 10

frazerish says:

Thanks =]

thanks for all your help. 

im glad thats all it was and i wont be starting the bike as much. 

and yes the bang gave me a heart attack because the instant thought was "SHIT MY EXHAUST DROPPED OFF"

but obviously that was just from the instant scare, Im not that stupid =] promise lmao

Thanks again

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices