You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Change in engine noise

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

supaste

Aug 10

supaste says:

Change in engine noise

Hi, i've had my bike for about a year now fro brand new. It's a SYM xs 125k  (not the most well know brang of bike i'll admit). Recently the noise the engine makes has changed. It has gone from being a sort of clean sweet sound to rattly when you pull the throttle. I know it's really hard to judge anything from my vauge discription there but is this the sort of thing i should be concerned about and what are the sort of things which make this happen - thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 5 years ago (12 August 2010 23:46)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

errr...

Mileage? Has it been serviced? Oil level okay? Exhaust connected okay?

Maybe pop back to the dealer if you're unsure, and bet the response will be the famous line

"They all do that sir"

Good luck!

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

noise

Welcome s,have you had your ears syringed lately also is it quieter with the clutch in when rev ving it?

Reply to this Topic
supaste

Aug 10

supaste says:

in reply

The bike has done about 1600 miles and has been serviced once since its purchase at about 400 miles. The engines sound does not change be the clutch enguaged or not, however i did notice when i had a look at it just now that whole chasis does move very slightly to the right when you let the clutch out. To the best of my knowlege the exhaust is connected ok. I gave the oil level a check and it's between the min and max. The only thing i know needs sorting out at the moment is the chain which is a bit slack and dirty. I have a lesson tommorow and i'll see what the instructors say - my bike school is my dealer and the SYMs are what they use as learner bikes so i would hope they can tell if the engines are odd.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices