Skip to content

Discuss This Donington re-opens! General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Donington re-opens!

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Adam Child  says:

Donington re-opens!

Donington Park has re-opened after extensive track re-building – and is better than ever, according to MCN Senior Road Tester Adam Child. MCN was given exclusive access to ride the first laps of the newly-completed track this morning (Friday).  The East Midlands circuit has been repaired and remodelled  following Simon Gillett’s failed bid to reinvent it as a F1 venue left the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 4 years ago (13 August 2010 11:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
motoxmad80

Aug 09

motoxmad80 says:

I never got the chance to ride the old layout, but I REALLY  wanna ride this one ASAP!!

Ive only done two trackdays before, 1 at mallory and 1 at cadwell. both fantastic for different reasons!!

Reply to this Topic
fabCB

Mar 10

fabCB says:

TOO LITTLE......

TOO LATE !!!!!

Only the short circuit is complete and already they are booking events!  to me , thats desperation!

In my opinion it serves them right,  up until 4 years ago i lived near donington and went there for all bike racing regularly for many years, and the facilities for the paying public never changed! total crap. Dont know who owns it now but for many years when it was Tom Wheatcroft, he did nothing for us.

Reply to this Topic
shuggiemac63

Jun 10

shuggiemac63 says:

An Opportunity Lost

Could they not have dropped the name of Foggy Esses while giving it a re-vamp? Any opportunity to get rid of reference to the blonde highlighted wind bag would have been a good thing.

Reply to this Topic
GuyGraham

Aug 02

GuyGraham says:

I agree shuggiemac63, anything without a reference to him would do

Reply to this Topic
GuyGraham

Aug 02

GuyGraham says:

FabCB - you are mistaken

Tom Wheatcroft owned it all the time, as it was he who ressurected the circuit from ruin and got the Bike GP there in '87 onwards

Tom's son, now owns it, with it leased to Adroit Ltd whoare now running it

Tom did so much  for Donnington and without him there would be no Donnington

RIP Tom Wheatcroft, we owe you a lasting debt for giving us a great circuit to ride upon

Reply to this Topic
Cubikrube

Mar 07

Cubikrube says:

Good news!

There's me checking MCN to see if there's anything to take up my time before leaving work for the weekend and i see this.

Who says Friday 13th is a bad day..not me, i was born on it and this has confirmed my thoughts.

Don't get me wrong, i wouldn't piss on most of the staff there if they were on fire but the track, oh the wonderfully undulating track is back.

Made the hairs rise on my arms and gave me a warm feeling inside. Least it's not going to become a car park for the airport next door and we have one of THE BEST viewing tracks in the country back up and running.

I'm delighted :)

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

i take it then, fabCB, that you wouldn't have missed Donny had it been turned into an industrial estate or an airport car park?

let's be grateful that someone has put in their money (unlike the previous leaseholder fabCB, not owner) and got the place back on it's feet.  there is still lots to do to make it a genuine world class motorsport facility, but no-one can deny that the ribbon of tarmac from redgate to coppice is one of the best around, all within a natural ampitheatre.

on another note, i think Donny is the only UK circuit that has a genuine chance of hosting WSBK other than Silverstone.  MotoGP will need a very good reason to leave Silverstone (personally i think it's at Silverstone now for a very long time, like at least 10 years).  Brands is out of favour with Palmer not stumping up the hosting fee, plus the FIM will take an increasingly dim view on the lack of run-offs in certain places.  Donny has the potential to host world class motorsport again with, in time, more than decent facilities for spectators.  thank goodness someone with some nous and financial backing picked up the lease - they deserve our support.

Reply to this Topic
manlow

Aug 02

manlow says:

Donington

Until it has been proven that the facilities are up to scratch I will not be going to this track. I spent a lot of time and money camping at the track for the MOTO GP and the only two things i enjoyed was James Toselands band 'Crash' on saturday night and going home on the sunday!

Reply to this Topic
fabCB

Mar 10

fabCB says:

HMMMM

Ok lets clear a couple of points here.. If you look you will see that my comments are based from a SPECTATOR point of view!!  I said too little too late because if the previous (owners, leaseholders, call them what you want ), had invested the money needed to improve spectator facilities and made it great not just for bikers but also for families who attended over the last 20 years , then maybe  they wouldnt of lost  out to Silverstone!!! and MCN would not of had so many complaints in their readers page after every GP. And GUYGRAHAM, yes Tom got the GP there in the 80's and i attended from the first one but  The facilities as a spectator have been as bad from the Wayne Rainey days, to the Rossi days!! No change in over 20 years of racing and me attending!

I never made any comment about the track itself, infact i have ridden it many, many times, includding other tracks too, and i would say that its probably the best track ive ever ridden.

As fro the investment that has now been pit in, lets wait and see if it all goes to the track layout, or if this time round they improve things for spectators.. time will tell.

But the most important thing to remember here before people start commenting about other peoples posts is that... ITS JUST MY OPINION, and we are all entitled to that!!

Reply to this Topic
potfiller

Jun 07

potfiller says:

Hopefully a new start

The old Donington was a nightmare for bike parking, facilities,access and spectating. Whoever is running it now please go and have a look at how things are done at Silverstone and adopt some of their hard standing bike parks, access routines, spotless toilets, variety of food and drinks on sale and cheerful staff who are happy to be there. Even if the big time budget is not there then make sure that whatever gets done in a small way gets done the right way. Paying customer expectations are high so please respect that and we will support you.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle